My Kelly is complete.- Mtbr.com
    Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004

My Kelly is complete.

Bikes & Beer!

try driving your car less
    looks ready to rock... although the non-drive side rear radial lacing is not what i would have ordered...
    Only boring people get bored.

Code Burr
    Is that the kelly that was on ebay a while back?
    Man it looks good. Does it have a disc boss in the back?
    I'm looking for a khs soft tail. My brodie ss is a little harsh on my back.

Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004
    Jh, I've been running that set up for a while. Wheels are trued as day one. There's not a whole lot of harsh riding round this parts so...

Bronze, yup. Got it off E-bay about a couple of weeks ago.
    Bikes & Beer!

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by SSPIN
    Jh, I've been running that set up for a while. Wheels are trued as day one. There's not a whole lot of harsh riding round this parts so...

Bronze, yup. Got it off E-bay about a couple of weeks ago.
    Dont worry about that pattern. Half radial on the non drive side is stronger than 3 cross.
    Its highly recommended for people who break alot of rear disc side spokes. Just dont use disc brakes and i'm sure it will hold up fine.

I remember looking at that frame and really wanting it, but I think the geometry didnt suit me. I like a longer top tube and a shorter head tube to match my gorilla arms.

Are your pants fresh?

Nice build

Nice bike. I like the Tioga rim too, with the white stripe and all.
    But what's with the table centerpiece?

FP

pedalphile

I like the red headset

I like how almost every part on the bike is black, except for the headset, which is matched to the red doohicky on the fork. If yiou peel the labels off the frame, it'd look even more intimidating! (I've come close to peeling all the labels off of my Kelly...)
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004
    The tanble centerpiece is some xmas decor we still haven't put away. It's still Feb for crying out loud! Give me sometime and I'll find somewhere to put it.

I too like the way the colors match and the HS/fork thingy. Frame is not black, though. It's a real nice midnight blue the crappy pic doesn't show.

A hair over 22 pounds and I can't wait for tomorrow to take her for her first 'real' ride.
    Bikes & Beer!

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    Dont worry about that pattern. Half radial on the non drive side is stronger than 3 cross. Its highly recommended for people who break alot of rear disc side spokes. Just dont use disc brakes and i'm sure it will hold up fine.
    Huh? You smokin' crack? Stronger than 3 cross? I think not. Lighter, yes. Stonger, ain't no way. And radial recc'd for disc side? Uhhh, nooooo that would be what you'd call a bad idea.

Sorry to hijack crazy, err sspin, The Kelly looks pretty damned sweet! I just picked up a cross bike from him. Should be built this weekend.
    Just a regular guy.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Huh? You smokin' crack? Stronger than 3 cross? I think not. Lighter, yes. Stonger, ain't no way. And radial recc'd for disc side? Uhhh, nooooo that would be what you'd call a bad idea.
    Well, dont take my word for it, how about Sheldon Browns:

"More and more rear wheels now are built "half-radial" with semi-tangent spoking on the right side and radial spoking on the left. Radial front wheels offer mainly esthetic benefits, but half radial rear wheels are substantially more durable than conventional ones. The high amount of dishing called for to make room for more and more sprockets has caused an increase in spoke breakage on the left side of rear wheels. This is caused by metal fatigue.
    A spoked wheel relies on having all of the spokes in constant tension. A highly dished rear wheel starts with very light tension on the left side spokes. The torque of hard pedaling can cause the left side "leading" spokes to occasionally go completely slack momentarily. Repeated cycles of tension and slackness cause these spokes to fatigue at the bends, and ultimately break.

With half-radial spoking, the amount of dish is slightly less to begin with if you run the radial spokes up along the inside of its flange. In addition, since there are no "leading" spokes, no amount of torque on the hub can reduce the tension on any of the spokes. In fact, if you have a customer who has been breaking left side spokes, "half rebuilding" the wheel into a half radial will solve the problem once and for all."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

You dont have to agree Martini, but you could tell us why. Logic is worth alot more than opinions. I never recommended them for disc app. either. I only referred to the non drive side as the "disc side". I agree that generally 3x is stronger, but I dont have any experience with radial patterns tendencies, so I would take Sheldons word for it.
    Last edited by thebronze; 02-18-2005 at 03:22 PM.

Witty McWitterson
    Well, Sheldon HAS built more wheels than I(100+), but on the same coin, I can say I've never broken, nor seen broken non-drive side spokes through the method he described(at least on high quality, hand built wheels. Cheap low enders, well. That's another matter). I can maybe see the logic in his argument for geared wheels, specifically in road applications where the spokes are longer, and overall dimensions narrower. On mountain wheels though....I think it may be a bit of a stretch. On SS wheels, its a load a hooey. They're about as symetrical as you can get and any 'benefit' that you get from the pattern is purely cosmetic, as SSPIN states.

Ah. ""disc side"" I get it.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Nothing better than a new single speed to start the season.