My Iceman 40+ SS rig...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

My Iceman 40+ SS rig...

My 'real' SS frame developed a crack that isn't getting any smaller, so for this weekend's Iceman Cometh Challenge up in Michigan, I decided to scuttle it and move some parts around to create this puppy:

The course is said to be pretty flat to rolling, and hard packed sand with some softer sand washes. Oh, and fast - really fast - hence the 44x20 gearing on there. I'd have gone to maybe a 34x16 or 15 but A) I didn't have a 34 and B) I didn't have a 15 or 16. So, to get my 63'ish GI, I went with what I had. The good ol' Performance tensioner came in handy once again, and this baby has performed perfectly in a couple of hard rides so far. The frame handles like a road bike (73/73 HA/SA), so I figure I'll be good to go. I totally love how it handles, so please don't tell me it's angles are old school or 'too fast'. If you see anything blatantly wrong with my ss setup, please chime in.

26'ish lbs. as shown here.

Just thought I'd share!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Looks like a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks good, but don't you need a spring loaded tensioner (doesn't look like one in the pic)? When the suspension compresses the chainstay length changes and the spring allows the tensioner to move to take up the slack. With a solid mount one it will either make the chain too loose or too tight (either moving the position or the tensioner or maybe even breaking it) when it compresses.

But if it is spring loaded, nevermind lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerSloth
    Looks good, but don't you need a spring loaded tensioner (doesn't look like one in the pic)? When the suspension compresses the chainstay length changes and the spring allows the tensioner to move to take up the slack. With a solid mount one it will either make the chain too loose or too tight (either moving the position or the tensioner or maybe even breaking it) when it compresses.

But if it is spring loaded, nevermind lol.
    Yep you are right, and it is spring-loaded. Pretty much, the way it's setup right now is the only way this frame can be run SS. A smaller chain ring up front doesn't allow for enuf clearance of the 'swingarm' and any smaller cog on the rear and I was getting chain skip. So, this is pretty much is it, which is nice, since I didn't have to spend any more money to get here.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I think it is poor form to use a raceface seatpost with a ritchey stem.

Nice bike. Glad it is you pushing that gear and not me....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I think it is poor form to use a raceface seatpost with a ritchey stem.

Nice bike. Glad it is you pushing that gear and not me....

Yes, and the red in the lettering totally clashes with the yellow splotch in the tires. Ship that whole rig to me and I'll make sure the whole thing is disposed of properly.

mtbr member
    Are you a spinner or a masher? 63.8 GI is a pretty stiff gear. If you plan on a 1:30 pace or are a slow-cadence masher, you will like that gear, but I personally would find that a little tall. Admittedly, I am a spinner, but I put in a 1:48 time with 58 GI, and would have liked 55 GI. A lot of the people I talk to run 58-61 GI.

And as for the stem and seatpost, I am also running a RF seatpost and Rtichey stem on my Karate Monkey. I think not only do they go well together, but I believe the bike rides a little faster with that combo

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    be prepared for your chain to fall off. a lot.

Stayin' Puft
    Hope the weather holds for you in MI...Fall is one of the few times of the year I wish I was back there...

Pump the crap out of that rear shock so it cannot compress, or I think Cleve may have a point. I doubt the tensioner would keep up with that rear suspension over stutter bumps. Maybe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I rode the hell out of it twice and so far so good. The Paul device prevents it up front. I'll probably keep shock pressure the same as usual but run Pro Pedal on 3 which really calms it down. I think it's gonna work like a champ, i just hope I do too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    There also ain't much chain wrap out back. Better wear a mouthguard or you might lose some chiclets.

mtbr member
    I agree on the chain length, looks like you could stand to lose a link or two.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by knightscape
    I agree on the chain length, looks like you could stand to lose a link or two.
    I tried one link less, too short. Remember this is the longest the chain will be. As the suspension compresses things tighten up more, not less. Also, the wrap is 8 complete teeth and it hasn't skipped on the two hilly road rides I've done on it yet.

I do appreciate the comments, I'll keep my eyes peeled for any of these issues tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Result: 2:01, 17th outta 90 or so. Bike was perfect, zero issues. Would run it the same next year but maybe add a little fitness.

mtbr member
    Beautiful fall day for some racing!
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

Members who have read this thread: 0