My geared bike is now my loaner- Mtbr.com
    Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011

My geared bike is now my loaner

Last September I bought a brand new geared Gary Fisher 29er. I love that bike and everything about it. But then I bought my neighbors '94 Cannondale M500 ($50) for a SS conversion project. I would have never thought that old Cannondale would become my go-to bike over my 29er. Now I just loan my 29er out to my friends to ride! Madness!

I figured on this board I'm not alone.
    Tidewater, VA is home - Eagle Rock, VA is base camp.

IG: @monstermikeoutdoors

mtbr member
    Tell me about it! I sold my geared, fr susp, bike and bought a rigid SS. When I go a few days without riding it I honestly get anxious to get back on it. I even ride it on the road for errands & such.

mtbr member
    Turn the 29er into a SS...and then you have a loaner SS and your own SS

On wuss patrol
    The madness.

I will loan my geared and fs bike(s) and ride the ss if the person borrowing a bike is a less experienced/conditioned rider.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    I like my rigid 29er singlespeed much more than my rigid 26er singlespeed....convert it, you won't be sorry!!

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    I haven't converted my 29 yet (great idea, by the way). But I took the suggestions about turning the 29 into a SS and went for a ride yesterday that I would normally do geared (lots of steep technical climbing!). Twenty five miles of arduous single track... my ass is kicked! It was a sick ride, though. It just destroyed my legs. I can't wait to recover to see how much stronger that ride made me (hopefully). Those gears' days are numbered...
    Tidewater, VA is home - Eagle Rock, VA is base camp.

IG: @monstermikeoutdoors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePSU View Post
    I haven't converted my 29 yet (great idea, by the way). But I took the suggestions about turning the 29 into a SS and went for a ride yesterday that I would normally do geared (lots of steep technical climbing!). Twenty five miles of arduous single track... my ass is kicked! It was a sick ride, though. It just destroyed my legs. I can't wait to recover to see how much stronger that ride made me (hopefully). Those gears' days are numbered...
    I have to admit that it is nice to have a back up geared bike or two in the stable for the "day after" a big 20 plus mile single speed ride / ass kicking!! I ride 6 to 7 days a week and it is tough to ride a single speed everyday!!

It's amazing how easy it gets to ride a geared bike over time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My geared bike is now my daughters bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0