My Gary Fisher SS build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

My Gary Fisher SS build

Just converted my 2007 Gary Fisher Piranha. I found that out on the trails I was switching gears less and less and instead just enjoying the experience. So I decided to completely tear down my bike and build it back up with partly new components. I also went ahead and sanded it down and painted it. I've never done anything like this so it was a learning process, but I did all the work myself so I feel proud

I got a lot of insight from this site so I just wanted to show it off and see what yall thought...

Specs on new components:
    Race Face evolve XC crank w/ external BB
    Blackspire 32T SS chainring
    Race Face bash
    DMR STS tensioner
    Sram 870 chain
    Wheels MFG SS kit over crappy Shimano hubs
    Avid BB7 brakes up front
    Race Face Deus XC stem
    Answer Hyperlite Carbon bar
    Panaracer fire xc front tire 2.1
    Kenda Small Block 8 rear tire 2.0

Old Components:
    Manitou Axle Elite Fork
    Bontrager Ranger Wheelset
    Hayes MX2 rear brakes
    wellgo pedals

It weighs in at 23.5 lbs which isnt too bad considering my heavy fork and wheelset.

Took it out on a few small rides and wow! It feels like night and day. Totally smooth and lightweight and fun, brought a whole new life to my bike. Not too sure if I like the flatbar but I'll have to give it a few more runs. I'm in love with it over all. Want to either build up a new wheelset or get a new fork and headset. Can't do both since what I got up to this point has my pockets empty. Tell me what you think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Gary Fisher SS build-img_1784.jpg  

Last edited by Geo Fry; 05-04-2010 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks cool!

Out spokin'
    Way nice! Looks like grips and you're down the trail, eh.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Bicycle Addict
    Cool, what type of paint did you use? I've been throwing around the idea of painting my frame as well.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Actually I dont think you're supposed to use grips on carbonfiber bars. I use decently padded gloves while I ride so its not that much of a problem. I don't know, I might change out the bar for something else down the road.

As far as the paint goes I used Duplicolor for everything. Its all in the prep and following the directions. Just make sure you use the right primer for your material. I have an aluminum frame so I had to use self etching primer for it to stick. I sanded it down to the bare aluminum before priming (total pita). I used acrylic enamel in school bus yellow and silver with the yellow as a base coat and the silver as the overspray. The black is actually Duplicolor's truck bedliner. I did the chainstays for durability and the underside of the down tube for looks. The color coats have to be done within 1 hour to make sure they stick to each other. I waited a few days and did the bedliner and then waited a few more days; then sanded everything and did several coats of clear enamel. Overall it turned out ok, but there are a few rough spots. I'm more worried about durability but I think it should hold up ok.

Kyle

Teen Wolf
    lol,srsly ur not using grips?

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Way nice! Looks like grips and you're down the trail, eh.

--Sparty
    Yeah, he can turn in that bag o' cans and have enough $ for the grips!
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cr45h
    lol,srsly ur not using grips?
    I could have swore that I read that you're not supposed to use grips on carbon fiber. Am I missing something... or just plain wrong? Either way, I've ridden a few times as is and my gloves have plenty of grip to them. It's kinda nice holding a thin bar instead of a bulky grip. I could get used to either

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo Fry
    I could have swore that I read that you're not supposed to use grips on carbon fiber.
    If you read that somewhere, it's complete nonsense, just take note of any mountain-bike on the market which has carbon bars as stock, ala a Scott Scale or something, you'll note they all have grips.

The only concern for some thinner carbon bars is that you don't use locking grips or bar-ends which exert too much crushing force onto the bar itself. Standard rubber or foam grips are fine, as are lock-on grips which use a collar system.

EDIT: Oh yeah, nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yea good point. Didn't really think about oem bikes with carbon bars... I guess I just didn't think much about it at all

Thanks for the compliments!

mtbr member
    Get some ESI grips. Racer's Edge since your not running rigid.

Nice bike! How does that tensioner work ?

Teen Wolf
    yeah man, get yourself some grips. it will be more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The tensioner works awesome; you just set it and forget it. Its really quiet and it backpedals flawessly. I just hope it lasts. Its been great for the last 4 weeks though.

I put my grips on and it feels great.

My longer stem makes steering feel weird. It feels a little too touchy. I like how responsive it is but I don't like how unstable it feels through roots and rocky sections. Is this just how longer stems feel or do I just need to get used to a different stem?

mtbr member
    Nice paint job!

Low Rep Count
    I used to use chemical paint remover in a spray can when stripping my bmx bike frames. Much easier. Once the bulk of the paint is off you can go back and sand down the smaller areas. Takes much less time!

He is correct in that prep work is the name of the game. As well as multiple light coats vs fewer heavy coats. Don't forget the clear coat. Typically I would run anywhere from 2-3 coats of primer, 4-6 coats of color and 3-4 coats of clear. Allow for about 4-7 days in a warm environment for the paint to cure and harden before reassembling as you can leave finger prints easily and totally screw up all your work. (Listen to experience here as I have definitely screwed up a few paint jobs this way)

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Wow nice bike and paint job!

I think we have the same frame. I have the 2007 GF Tassajara... I too am looking into painting mine. I never really liked the stock paint but I cant really complain since my wife bought me the bike. Anyway, I would assume you guys use spray can? Also, do I really have to sand it to bare metal? A friend of mine who use to have an autobody shop told me that he uses spray can on his bikes and he only sand the clear coat off with 1200 grit then paint over it.

The paint I want is just simple. I just want it with army green and non-glossy clear coating. I want it army green and then my carbon fiber parts... After seeing your bike, I might just start prepping mine on Sunday. We shall see.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yep exactly the same frame. I really am not an expert when it comes to paint jobs and even though I like the look of what I did, I'm not too sure on the durability of it. However, I say go for it. Taking the bike completely apart and rebuilding it is a good feeling and I feel like it has made me more comfortable riding it.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I said it before and ill say it again, push up on the chain with your tensioner
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    I said it before and ill say it again, push up on the chain with your tensioner
    you know I thought about that when I installed it but I've been running it as is for a few months now with no problems yet. I mean I've maybe like 3 chain slips but that's about it. If it gets more frequent I'll swap it

Members who have read this thread: 0