My first SS ride, Kona Unit!- Mtbr.com
    V-Shaped Rut

My first SS ride, Kona Unit!

Hi all, I finally got UPS to deliver my 'new to me' SS today.

Its an '06 kona unit, powder coated blue. (The unit is known for shitty paint)
    Deore v brakes w/ceramincs, RS duke xc, hugi hubs, bontrager race lite wheels, selle slr ti saddle and some other junk. Comes in at 24 lbs which is lighter than my already decently light tracer.

I put her together and went for a quick spin in the desert by my house. What a blast! Its like being a kid on a BMX bike again! I was popping wheelies and everything.

Its currently a 32/20 but came with an 18 tooth sprocket which I think I'll probably go with after testing the 20 on a real ride. The 20 will probably climb well but I think I might get dropped by my 32/15 riding buddy. I'll try a test ride saturday to be sure.

Here is a pic:

808+909 = Party Good Time
    looks like a fun bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Not sure where your at but you stated a desert ride so I'll guess your riding SoMo. with that 20T cog forget D.C. and hit Javalina, powerlines & all that other climing mess, your gonna have a blast but no doubt will get dropped on the flats by a 15t. have fun in the muddy slopp (perfect for S.S.) It's raining nasty around here right now.

V-Shaped Rut
    I'm not in AZ, its that festering pit of crapptitude known as Vegas.

Similar riding though. Its raining there? Ugh... Its supposed to be here today and tomorrow as well, I'm hoping to beat the rain and the heat by riding at 6am.

PTV
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Very nice.... like it very much - I rode a Unit a few years back and it was a blast - great angles and tight rear triangle - quick , nimble and very BMX like....... All you need to do know is get rid of the lead fork and go rigid....then it'll really be BMX time..... Talking of BMX's... here's a gratuitous shot of a 1986 GT freestyler that restored from an old frame that had the gooseneck and crankset attached - ALL sprayed black (seemingly by a small child)...stripped it and collected parts one ebay until it looked like this.....https://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k411/ptv323/GT.jpg

V-Shaped Rut
    Haha! Rigid on vegas trails would me brutal. Its so rocky here its ridiculous. I think coming off a FS that would be very tough. You'd have to go with big tires and lower pressure to avoid rattling fillings out of your head.

Maybe in the future if I'm feeling it I'll do just that.

That GT brings back memories. I remember when my friend got a mongoose with a gyro, I was so jealous but couldn't afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by PTV
    Very nice.... like it very much - I rode a Unit a few years back and it was a blast - great angles and tight rear triangle - quick , nimble and very BMX like....... All you need to do know is get rid of the lead fork and go rigid....then it'll really be BMX time..... Talking of BMX's... here's a gratuitous shot of a 1986 GT freestyler that restored from an old frame that had the gooseneck and crankset attached - ALL sprayed black (seemingly by a small child)...stripped it and collected parts one ebay until it looked like this.....https://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k411/ptv323/GT.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 0