My first SS is done... (not dial up friendly)- Mtbr.com
    Dual Squishy...

My first SS is done... (not dial up friendly)

So started the re-birth of my '92 Bontrager OR Race Lite back in October. It is finally complete and needs a maiden voyage!!

Magic setup is 32 x 18 so far, but I will probably need a tensioner at some point...

Pics:

Last edited by Jeepnut22; 02-12-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Dual Squishy...
    Almost forgot... What it looked like a couple of years ago before it started dying a slow death in my garage:

one chain loop
    very nice.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    I bought those same Hope skewers for my SS build I recently finished and they kept opening up on me. Someone suggested I use shimano skewers and I happened to have a set... they have not opened up on me yet.

Let me know how it goes, maybe I will give mine another chance

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

red cable guides?

where did you find red ones? are those the problem solvers?

Teen Wolf
    nice i like it. i would have chosen a different frame (something w/sliding drops) if i was you building it from scratch just to make it easier for gearing. BUT it's not my bike, and i hope she runs really well for you! love the component choices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    very nice. i like it

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolicious
    where did you find red ones? are those the problem solvers?
    Ha!! LBS tried desperately trying to find a red set. No dice... Then, we looked through their entire peg of Problem Solver cable guides and low and behold in the very back, an old red set... Totally lucked out!! Haven't seen another set anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by cr45h
    nice i like it. i would have chosen a different frame (something w/sliding drops) if i was you building it from scratch just to make it easier for gearing. BUT it's not my bike, and i hope she runs really well for you! love the component choices.
    Well... I've had the frame since '92, and I had a ton of parts already (Stem, Seat, Cranks, Chain Ring, Pedals, hubs and a few others), so it was done on a reasonable budget.

My next bike will be a 29er, SS or 1x9...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    that looks like a real fun bike. cool build.
    I have never had a bike that was that clean.
    great pictures. thanks for posting.
    no chain no gain.

smell the saddle...
    2 Questions:

1) I've never seen or heard of those cranks? Tell me more (reminds me of the WI Eno crankset)
    2) With such a high-end build, why not disc brakes? (Just curious)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    looks like a vintage set of Kooka cranks.

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    2 Questions:

1) I've never seen or heard of those cranks? Tell me more (reminds me of the WI Eno crankset)
    Quote Originally Posted by yossarian
    looks like a vintage set of Kooka cranks.
    Yup, Kooka cranks from way back. I have had these since the mid/early 90's!

Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    2) With such a high-end build, why not disc brakes? (Just curious)
    Best I could do would be a mullet, but decided to keep it a little old school (new parts) with the original pre-Trek Bontrager, Ritchey Clipless Pedals and Kooka cranks. Frame not setup for disks and didn't want the added weight of the Brake Therapy unit. Read a lot about the Single Digit 7s being fantastic V-Brakes especially with the Kool Stop salmon pads, so I went with them.

mtbr member
    Love everything. The color looks fun, and the exotic fork blings it up very nicely. Great ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Where did you get the stickers?
    I did mine last year but couldn't find the stickers. Mine is the pink, the blu is my ex's. We had a headbadge made as well.
    I'll say no chaintensioner, get an excentric rear hub, but it's up to you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first SS is done... (not dial up friendly)-bonti-1.jpg  

My first SS is done... (not dial up friendly)-bonti-2.jpg  

smell the saddle...
    Bayou25 - who did your painting? Are you from Louisiana by the way (assumption against "bayou25" as your handle).

What do you think of the ENO crankset? Thinking up upgrading my SS to that as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I was living in Minnesota last year, so we had the job done by Creative powdercoating (http://www.creativepowder.com/), they did a great job, fast and cheap.
    I'm from France actually but live in the US - Bayou was my nickname growing up.
    I love White Ind products, really reliable and great quality: I have the excentric ENO rear hub (you avoid the chain tensioner like that), crancks + BB (crancks are beautiful and pretty light) and their MI6 front hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    nice bike.
    i know nothing about bontrager, are they good?

Off the back...
    You should have had a new Crocostimpy decal made! Happy happy. Joy joy. Nice ride...

Back on the wagon
    Nice looking bike! I love old steel. Kudos for giving this one new life. As far as the magic gear goes, I started with the same setup on my RM Blizzard (same gearing, even), nice and tight at the start. Expect it to last about a dozen or so rides before the chain gets too loose. Mine never fell off, but it sure was flopping around a lot at the end. FWIW, I happened to have an ENO wheel laying around so when it got too loose I swapped my preferred SS wheel out and threw the ENO on. The ENO hub is definitely my tensioner of choice. Plus, if you don't have one it makes a great excuse to build a wheel!
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou25
    Where did you get the stickers?
    I contacted "idoru" here on MTBR. Lurking around on the Vintage forum and found a huge thread with his work. Excellent quality decals that easily rival the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    nice bike.
    i know nothing about bontrager, are they good?
    Keith Bontrager is a pioneer in the MTB world. His work in the late 80's and 90's has been spectacular. He stopped making frames in '93 or '94 and sold that to Trek. He stayed involved in component design to this day. Some say the last year or two of his MTB frames are some of the best steel MTB frames ever made. Mine is a '92, probably this pinnacle of his MTB frame building.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    You should have had a new Crocostimpy decal made! Happy happy. Joy joy. Nice ride...
    I need to find a sticker maker and have some crafted up. Didn't have the Powder Coater do it as I wanted to bring this back to a clean state first.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22
    Keith Bontrager is a pioneer in the MTB world. His work in the late 80's and 90's has been spectacular. He stopped making frames in '93 or '94 and sold that to Trek. He stayed involved in component design to this day. Some say the last year or two of his MTB frames are some of the best steel MTB frames ever made. Mine is a '92, probably this pinnacle of his MTB frame building.
    Is that timing right? A guy I knew bought a Bontrager (Privateer, I think) new in 97 or 98 and ended up going for a ride with Keith himself after calling his office. Was Trek making the Bontrager frames at that point?

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch
    Is that timing right? A guy I knew bought a Bontrager (Privateer, I think) new in 97 or 98 and ended up going for a ride with Keith himself after calling his office. Was Trek making the Bontrager frames at that point?
    Yes, I believe so. In 1995 Trek acquired Bontrager and frames were no longer built in Santa Cruz, but in Trek's Waterloo shop...

Keith Bontrager

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice build. You get me teary eyed for my old Rasta Race Lite. If i could only go back in time.

Dual Squishy...
    Carbon bar on, tubeless conversion f/r...

21.86 lbs.!! Down from 22.40 lbs.!!

Have some Time ATAC XS Carbon pedals on the way and I believe they are lighter than the old Ritchey's that are on there now. I'll update once the new pedals are on. May hunt for a white Specialized Phenom saddle to match the one on my Enduro. Would be far lighter than the Avatar on there now... Sub 21 lbs. is the goal!!!

mtbr member
    Ohhh man... this thread scratches me right where I itch.
    I have had several Boneshakers and I seem to miss them w/ every new bike build.
    The last Bonti I owned was also a SS rebirth that I sold to buy a Salsa Juan Solo. That was a great SS but not the Bonti.... Then I built up a YBB 29 SS, it's fun but still not the Bonti...
    At this point I've been through Tomac, Intense, BlackSheep, Salsa, and Moots. Still looking for the soul of the Bontrager. I'm not even sure the ole Bontrager was as good as I remember but I can't rid myself of the glory days.

Enjoy it, ride the hell out of it.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

Nice build, nice restore

Gorgeous restore and nice build. I am part way through rebuilding my old college bikea 93 Paramount Series 70- Tange Prestige, gorgeous lugs and lines. A-symmetrical chainstay. XTR hubs prior to the paralax days (just overhauled the hubs and they spin like silk- just don't make em like that anymore). Same era- I remember ogling those Bontragers back in the day. Like Ritcheys, Breezers, Bridgestones (kinda)...

Once I know she rides well (worried about the steep head angle being super twitchy), I'm planning on upgrading the seatpost, stem, bars, tubeless...

I went with the Forward Components EBB- needed a half-link to make it work (which they recommend), but it's sweet and prevented me from having to re-lace the wheel. I also think the FC EBB is more versatile than an eccentric hub- allowing me to go "back" to a 1x7 if I wanted...

Here's mine- not as many close-ups of hubs and such, but I'll post the whole thing after I do the upgrades, etc (assuming she rides how I remember). 23.3 lbs with no real attempt at lightening yet. Note the sweet paint job- the marbled blue fade to metallic purple. Thought about re-painting it, but it would be hard to come close to that fancy job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first SS is done... (not dial up friendly)-img_4605.jpg  

My first SS is done... (not dial up friendly)-img_4606.jpg  

My first SS is done... (not dial up friendly)-img_4607.jpg  

My first SS is done... (not dial up friendly)-img_4608.jpg  

My first SS is done... (not dial up friendly)-img_4609.jpg  

My first SS is done... (not dial up friendly)-img_4611.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    nice. lucky you could do that. my 91 fat chance got really flexy. had to retire it.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I love the Bontragers and Kooka made some slick stuff. Nice work.

Yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead
    ...I am part way through rebuilding my old college bike: a '93 Paramount Series 70- Tange Prestige, gorgeous lugs and lines....

Once I know she rides well (worried about the steep head angle being super twitchy), I'm planning on upgrading the seatpost, stem, bars, tubeless...

Note the sweet paint job- the marbled blue fade to metallic purple. Thought about re-painting it, but it would be hard to come close to that fancy job.
    That fork should slacken up the head angle enough to mellow out the handling. Even if that frame was designed for a suspension fork, it'd be for 63mm travel, max.

As far as paint, you should give Waterford a call. After all, they're probably the ones who brazed and painted it up in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead. ;)

mtbr member

Paramount/ Waterford

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    That fork should slacken up the head angle enough to mellow out the handling. Even if that frame was designed for a suspension fork, it'd be for 63mm travel, max.

As far as paint, you should give Waterford a call. After all, they're probably the ones who brazed and painted it up in the first place.
    Now I feel badly- I kinda hijacked this thread- the Bonty is too sweet. When I finish the build on the Paramount, I'll post it's own thread. I've thought about giving Waterford a call and might do that, but I'm not too worried about the paint. I'll just scratch it all up again . I was wrong about the head angle- really, the head angle is super slack, not steep. Add the 80mm fork, and it's even a little more slack than originally intended. It's been snowing here since I got her built up and I haven't had her on the trail yet. Should be nice and stable on the downhills, but maybe slow in tight turns. Either way, I suspect I'll love it.

Members who have read this thread: 0