My first SS- Mtbr.com

Thread: My first SS

UK Bike Whore
    Dec 2008

My first SS

Just built this up and had one ride on it so far and it was killer but fun. So hard to get up the hills compared to just sitting down and chugging along in an easy gear but I will get there and it will make me as strong as an ox.

On the flats and the DH sections it was great fun too but a little spinny when going fast. The bike in general rode well Ive been on 6" fs bikes for the past 2 years and getting back on a HT was more fun than I expected. The handling was better in the slow twisty stuff than my Pitch is and I found it great to pump for extra speed.

What do you think?

local trails rider
    I think it looks like a good bike. If you like it, it is perfect...

I find that riding SS takes a different attitude. And a different "rhythm": the places where you go hard are different from what you'd do on a gearie bike, not to speak about a gearie FS bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i wonder if you could take another link out of the chain?

mtbr member
    Look at the rotors on that thing, you could stop a runaway freight train with that setup!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jcufari
    i wonder if you could take another link out of the chain?
    Maybe not.
    Is there room to make the chain guide push up?

A couple of more details:
    Do you have plugs in the ends of the bar? If not, maybe you should put in some: less dirt in the bar if it ever hits the ground, and possibly less painful if you ever land on the end of your bar.

I think it is a good idea to route the front brake hose on the inside of the fork, so that it is less likely to snag on anything or get pinched between the fork and something hard.

mtbr member
    I like! What kind of tensioner is that?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    ive noticed my calves have gotten alot bigger over the course of this year, keep on keeping on
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

UK Bike Whore
    Dec 2008
    Cant take a link out of the chain I tried that and its too short.

The tensioner which is a blackspire stinger wont push the chain up as it has too much slack.

I will be trying a half link. Maybe a whole chain maybe just one link that should solve both problems.

I will be getting some bar plugs at some point.

As for the brakes they came off my Pitch and are 203/185mm and the hoses are way too long for this bike. I did have some Hopes on it for the first ride but they need a full service so they are sitting on the side waiting to be fettled. I might mount the front hose in the steerer that's not a bad idea.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Knees
    front hose in the steerer that's not a bad idea.
    In steerer?
    I did not mean quite that. Just between the fork and the wheel, so that it does not go on the outside of the fork.

I think you can see how it goes on one of my bikes:

UK Bike Whore
    Dec 2008
    Oh I see, silly me. I always worry about routing it like that because of the hose being close to the spokes. Ive never had a problem running it on the outside before.

local trails rider
    I put a couple of extra zip ties there to make sure the hose stays put. Probably unnecessary.

I figured that things are more likely to hit the hose if it is on the outside.

Members who have read this thread: 0