My first single speed build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... My first single speed build

So I usually ride bmx and always liked the idea of having a larger bmx style bike without all the gears ans stuff that come standard on larger bikes, though a 24" bmx cruiser is still a little small and all the 26" bmx cruisers to be found are outrageously expensive. So I found an older Trek 820 on Craigslist for $25 and added some of my own styling and comforts to get what I wanted.

Please check out the specs and pics and let me know what you think. I didn't want to spend a ton and wanted to build it from the ground up, I think it just feels better when you ride a bike you totally took apart and put back together.

Specs:

1996 Trek 820 17" Frame
    Chromoly main tubes

Trek fork - Chromoly

Shimano Deore DX cranks

ODYSSEY Jim Cielencki bmx pedals

Specialized Fuse bmx stem

1" threaded to 1 1/8" threadless stem adapter

Redline cruiser bars 5.5" rise and 27.5" width

Redline grips

Tektro FX2 brake lever with Shimano cantilever brakes.

I build the chain tensioner myself with some parts from the grab bins at the hardware store.
    I got a lot of ideas from the forums here and am very happy that I only spent like $10 and got something more sturdy than the $25 ones I see available.

I'm running 39 x 18 gearing and it seems like what I will stick with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first single speed build-100_4359.jpg  

My first single speed build-100_4369.jpg  

My first single speed build-100_4362.jpg  

My first single speed build-100_4372.jpg  

My first single speed build-100_4373.jpg  

Last edited by Godzilla77; 03-12-2010 at 01:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's a before pic. I actually fixed it up first and decided I wanted it to be more simple like my bmx so after fixing it up I took it back apart and went to single speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first single speed build-trek-820.jpg  

Ride steel, stay hairy.
    Mate, that is rad. I really like it. Simple and built to a budget. How does it ride?
    www.bottlesandchains.com
    'ride local, drink global'

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    thats dope with those low rise BMX bars, i mean really, reminds me of those trick track fools, ride it hard, (or at least until the left hand crank arm falls off like somebodies >.> <.<)

mtbr member
    That bike is rad for just $25! Looks like it would be a good beer getter/pub cruiser too! Nice job on the chain tensioner.
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. It does ride good and smooth. I gotta get some semi slick tires though since I use it for around town and on the paved lake-shore path here in Chicago, but the ones on it are ok for now, just a comfort thing.

I actually ended up spending about 125+ on it after all the parts I added. The only things on the bike that came on it is the frame and fork. I switched out everything else with stuff from another bike I bought on Craigslist for 50 but then got about that much back after I switched out the parts, then I spent about 15 for the stem adapter, and about 45 for the bars(I couldn't find any cheap ones on eBay or anything that I liked) and then about 10 for the chain tensioner stuff, 10 for the pedals, 6 for the brake lever and 10 for the grips and a few bucks for the spacers. Plus I had to pick up a crank puller, a bottom bracket removal tool and a cassette removal tool. I am sure I'll use all of those again though.

Members who have read this thread: 0