My first ride on a SS,(SUPER budget build, basicly free)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

My first ride on a SS,(SUPER budget build, basicly free)

I bought an old steel Trek 820 a few years ago to use a cheap commuter for $35. This is how I bought it.

I painted the frame and switched it over to a 1 1/8 threadless fork. Everything I used even when commuting on it was free or used parts bin parts except the $12 tires I used. I figured I got more than my $35 worth out of it commuting. After a few years I started commuting on a roady so the frame and fork of the old Trek were just gathering dust. I tried selling them but no one wanted it. So I figured I would put it together with leftover parts for my girlfriend to try some MTBing on the easy singletrack trails. The only things I bought to build it up were the WCS grips and the chain tensioner. Total cost of $25 to get it ready for my GF. It is SUPER low tech and cheap but it is actually a blast to ride.

I took it out today and did a few laps at my favorite trail. This was my first ever ride of a SS or full ridged MTB. I am not sure that I like it better than my other bike but I did really enjoy it. The bike handles very sharp and is super precise in the slow technical stuff. It was genuinely a new experience that I enjoyed thoroughly.

Retro Grouch

Your bike looks like the definitive SS conversation; it's what SS is all about. I like!
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Out spokin'
    How does she like that saddle?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    How does she like that saddle?

--sParty
    She has not riden on it yet. My brother gave it to me becouse he hated it. I tried it no my road bike and hated it. But it felt OK today. I think it is hard but has a lot of flex to it. it didnt feel good sitting on it for a long time on a road bike. But it felt fine today for a hour or so ride where i was out of the saddle a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc51kid View Post
    She has not riden on it yet. My brother gave it to me becouse he hated it. I tried it no my road bike and hated it. But it felt OK today. I think it is hard but has a lot of flex to it. it didnt feel good sitting on it for a long time on a road bike. But it felt fine today for a hour or so ride where i was out of the saddle a lot.
    How you feel on it, and how your girlfriend feels on it may be two different things.

I would imagine that a seat like that with a rather high and narrow ridge down the middle would be relatively uncomfortable for a female. (They have their squishy bits in an alternate location, you know )

Retro Grouch
    Hopefully you kept the old saddle
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonCz View Post
    How you feel on it, and how your girlfriend feels on it may be two different things.

I would imagine that a seat like that with a rather high and narrow ridge down the middle would be relatively uncomfortable for a female. (They have their squishy bits in an alternate location, you know )
    It had to be said, I just didn't have the guts to say it.
    I thank you, and I'm sure rc51kid's GF will thank you, too.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    On the other hand, maybe she really really really likes that saddle, in which case you are a lucky man indeed!

mtbr member
    ...(They have their squishy bits in an alternate location, you know )
    Hahah, I'm laughing my squishy bits off right now.

mtbr member
    Nice job. I just did the same thing to my old trek zx 6000 (bonded aluminum frame), but I stripped the black paint and left it bare aluminum. The rigid fork was a lot tougher to get used to for me than the fixed gearing, but I agree; low tech and plenty of fun.

Why did you swap out the stem? Was the change noticeable?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thanks for the reminder, last time I checked her “squishy” parts were a little different than mine. I kind of like those squishy things, sure would hate to mess them up. I guess I might have to reconsider the seat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jsqueri View Post
    Nice job. I just did the same thing to my old trek zx 6000 (bonded aluminum frame), but I stripped the black paint and left it bare aluminum. The rigid fork was a lot tougher to get used to for me than the fixed gearing, but I agree; low tech and plenty of fun.

Why did you swap out the stem? Was the change noticeable?
    I switched it out becouse i wanted to use regular stems and bars. I had all the parts sitting around so i did it to standardise.

Apr 2007
    + rep for that bike and for riding an rc51. Especially if it's a Repsol edition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    + rep for that bike and for riding an rc51. Especially if it's a Repsol edition.
    Sorry no Repsol, just a regular old RC51,

Out spokin'
    Sorry no Repsol, just a regular old RC51,
    {nice bike!}
    Sick!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org