My first ride on a Rigid SS- Mtbr.com
    Kneel Before Your Master

My first ride on a Rigid SS

Well decided to see what the ss was all about and got a 2008 Redline Monocog Rigid SS with Avid BB5's. I threw on some Sun/Ringle Disc O Flea wheels and some Panaracer Rampages and headed to the trail. Here are my thoughts:

1. My favorite thing is how quiet the bike is. It is so nice to not hear a chain slapping around over every bump. The simplicity really gives me confidence in the bike. It was nice to not worry about shifting.

2. The Redline frame/geometry was amazing. It fit perfectly and I felt comfortable right away. I can probably say the geometry felt the best out of the dozen or so bikes I have owned. I rode a pretty rough trail and the steel was great. I can't wait to ride a more flowing type trail.

3. I used a 18 tooth cog and had some trouble in spots. I can see how I am going to have monster legs after I get some time on this bike.

4. The Disc O Fleas with the Panaracer Rampages were awesome! I had good traction and felt confident on every turn. I have a stans tubeless conversion kit I plan on installing soon and that should make them even better.

5. I am skeptical about keeping a rigid fork. I loved it, but I am afraid I'll go over the bars at some point in some of the really rocky sections I ride. I have to remember I no longer have that 3-4" of travel to protect me from that. But, I am willing to try to stick it out because I love the simplicity of it. So sick of leaking or broken suspension forks.

Dive Bomber
    You can use bigger cog though.

It's fun if you can ride most of the track, that's why lower gear ratio sometimes better.

With rigid your body mostly will be behind the seatpost. I often do this to get less impact from the turbulence. I am not a fast rider and I am enjoying the terrain slowly.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Good point about staying behind the seat. I quickly realized this was a good way to position myself on small drop offs that had rocks on the other side. I also tried to slow down and enjoy the ride as well. I might throw on a 20 tooth rear cog and ride with it today.

Either way I really had fun on this bike. I don't race so as long as I get some exercise and have fun then that works for me. Its funny how the bike being quiet is such a big deal for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quiet is a beautiful thing! Just using the terrain to dictate whether you sit stand or walk is also cool.

If you can push 18t on almost everything in your local loop, 20t might be too easy. I ride 32x21, and it allows me to ride almost everything, but still makes me work like hell in some spots, so I'm happy with it.

Rigid is something you either grow to love (as I have) or it's just not for you. Just make sure you give it enough time to know for sure, or you might miss out.

Kneel Before Your Master
    The loop I started with doesn't have anything steep. I have a feeling I will need to jump to the 20 once I start riding some harder places. I am just getting back into biking so I am trying to build up some strength on some easier stuff first. In fact, I am going to get a quick ride in now!

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia
    I don't race so as long as I get some exercise and have fun then that works for me.
    this is what it's all about for most folks. i recently converted my ss back to rigid and it's been interesting. been almost 10 years since i last rode rigid, and did it for 15 years before that and i wonder how i did it at all! lol

have fun. that's the main thing.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Congrats, sounds like SSing is for you. I'm currently building up an old BRC 7 speed into a rigid ss and my main motivation has always be the idea of silent riding. I'm glad to hear it's working out for you.

Cheers,
    Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    mbogosia: Congratulations on being ONE of us. Regarding your first experience on a SS, it seems to have been a great one. The quietness, the steel, the simplicity, the workout, the challenge, the unity with the bike....all of those and more make SS rigid riding an awesome experience.
    I too went this way, although my process was kind of step by step. On my late FS 26er, i started by stiffening the suspension and riding in only one gear. After months of this, i made the jump to SS, but on a front suspension steel 29er. Several more months and i locked out the fork, then switched, finally, to rigid. My experience has also been awesome!
    Read my most recent post regarding my switch to rigid.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=673986
    Again, congratulations and keep it up!
    Simple, not easy.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Thanks Balance! Just got back from ride number two and I'm feeling good. I'm going to read your thread now. Here are some pics of the ride:

Last edited by mbogosia; 12-24-2010 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    It definitely takes a few rides to get used to the rigid fork, i like it more than i don't so I'm gonna keep it, some local places around here like French Creek and Wiss are tough on the rigid but I am convinced I get the best workout with SS and rigid.

Once I got used to riding this way it was a lot more fun. One thing I noticed is when i get tired it's a lot more difficult to keep from getting beat up on the bike.

Dive Bomber
    Rigid is fun, because you can use your body and knee as suspension.

When in rocky track don't just be static be more dynamic and bounce your body with your feet on pedal just suspension like.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I went over the bars a couple of times on U shaped dips when I started riding rigid that I used to go over with suspension. I soon learned to lean way back and pull up on the bars on those obstacles. Congratulations on your new hobby!

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Thanks Balance! Just got back from ride number two and I'm feeling good. I'm going to read your thread now. Here are some pics of the ride:

Very nicely color matched bike you got ! I have always liked black frames with color details. How did your second ride go ?
    As the other riders say, you'll get good with rigid riding once your body gets used to flowing with the terrain while using arms and legs. Some adjustments need to be made when coming from suspension, because i feel that it makes the rider a bit lazy since it soaks all the terrain's features. Once the adjustments are made, the ride becomes very 'active' !

Happy Holidays
    Simple, not easy.

Kneel Before Your Master
    2nd ride was good until the last 1.5-2 miles. My legs turned to mush and I just had nothing left. I knew that trying this two days in a row was going to be tough, especially since I hadn't rode in over a 6 months.

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    2nd ride was good until the last 1.5-2 miles. My legs turned to mush and I just had nothing left. I knew that trying this two days in a row was going to be tough, especially since I hadn't rode in over a 6 months.
    Legs: mush now, geared later, keep it up !
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Nice. Put a 100mm Fox

or Rock Shox on the front & color me officially jealous.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    i really like the "gooseneck " pad. Nice bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0