My first bike!- Mtbr.com

Thread: My first bike!

mtbr member
    May 2010

My first bike!

So i picked up this bike in a hurry, due to transportation issues ( busses went on strike and needed some way to get to school!) Now this being my first real bike, last bike was a mongoose bmx about 9 years ago, i didn't know what to look and was mislead into thinking this bike was legit. Turns out that the stock marzochhi forks on the bike were replaced with some SR suntour's and the handlebars/stem were replaced with lesser quality ones.
    Its an 06 Kona Scrap. It has hayes Sole brakes and I'm guessing sun rhyno lite rims.
    Just bought brand new marzocchi bomber 33's, truvativ stem and 31.8 handle bars and a cane creek s-3 all for $140 online.
    I'm not sure if the crank is stock, but it has a truvativ howizter crank
    My first bike!-cropped1.jpg
    My first bike!-cropped2.jpg
    just wondering what upgrades i could do more, i know the brakes aren't the greatest also the rims. what are good resonably priced wheel setups i could grab. also wondering how hard it is to true rims! oh and so far i love the forks the lock out is awesome but i am just concerned as to how long it will last..

Thanks alot!

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Azonic outlaws are a strong wheelset, but the sun's aren't bad by any means. If there isn't any structural damage to the rims, i'd just get them trued, replace hub bearings if needed, etc. While not hydraulic, the Avid BB7's would be a really cost effective brake upgrade to your setup. Is there a chain tensioner on the bike?

Low Rep Count
    If you are just using this as transportation then I think you will be fine. With that said, you may want to consider swaping out the front tire for something that is a little more street friendly. If you are going to start going off road with it then I am a firm believer in replacing all stock parts with upgraded peieces as they wear out or break, unless you have the money to blow on it of course. For now, enjoy it and just have a blast!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Good advice already given,just wanted to add my to ya. If you never upgrade anything,yer already way above riding a friggin bus
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker
    Good advice already given,just wanted to add my to ya. If you never upgrade anything,yer already way above riding a friggin bus
    Haha ya, i absolutely love biking now!

As for the tensioner it does not have one.. and i keep breaking spokes, i have broken 4 in so far, don't know why i have only been doing drops of round 2-3 feet.

Low Rep Count
    Hmmmm, surprised you have not been dealing with chain tension problems without a tensioner and having vertical dropouts.

Spokes, well, 3' drops are pretty big on a hardtail bike. I mean, a 20" bmx wheel is a little stronger simply because it is smaller with shorter spokes. It may be worth either having the rear wheel rebuilt with better spokes and properly tensioned or a fully upgraded rear wheel all together. A larger back tire might help as well. Maybe a 2.2 or 2.3

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Right now i have 1 spoke that is broken, is it ok to bike with it and can one spoke make the wheel go out of round?
    06 Kona Scrap

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmatt
    Right now i have 1 spoke that is broken, is it ok to bike with it and can one spoke make the wheel go out of round?
    Yes and yes.
    I have ridden a wheel with several broken spokes (out on trails), and the wheel came back true, once they were replaced.
    Just don't beat the hell out of your wheel, and try to remove the broken spoke to avoid further potential damage to his neighbors.

I would get a front brake on there before I worried about the wheel though.

Nice 'MINT' BMX grips BTW.
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

Ovaries on the Outside
    +1 front brake.

If you are just commuting on that bike, maybe faster tires. I dunno. I'm out of opinions at the moment.

Low Rep Count
    It must be a hell of a commute with 2-3 foot drops along the way!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsalty
    Yes and yes.
    I have ridden a wheel with several broken spokes (out on trails), and the wheel came back true, once they were replaced.
    Just don't beat the hell out of your wheel, and try to remove the broken spoke to avoid further potential damage to his neighbors.

I would get a front brake on there before I worried about the wheel though.

Nice 'MINT' BMX grips BTW.
    I have a front brake for it but with the new forks i need an adapter for it to fit and the local store i was just at didn''t carry any.

As for the grips, not too sure if there was sarcasm there, but i will take it as a compliment
    06 Kona Scrap

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well the commute is only 4-5 km's so i go out of my way to make it longer and more fun then just riding on sidewalk.
    06 Kona Scrap

stoked gnar shred
    street tires perhaps if that is what you choose to ride....make em fat ones though so your still able to hit them drops

Members who have read this thread: 0