My Dumpster Rescue Trek 800- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

My Dumpster Rescue Trek 800

I found this bad boy sticking out of the trash. I cleaned it up (McDonald's bags and all) and converted it to SS for under $100. The cranks were a dumpster find as well (years earlier).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Out spokin'

Sweet!

Doesn't get much better than that.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    wait wait wait you found those cranks ...in the dumpster? do rich people live next to you?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wish! I found the cranks in the dumpster behind my local Trek store. It had the bottom bracket attached (more like glued on). They are bontrager 7005 aluminum 2-piece cranks (standard mountain bike with 3 chainrings). I just moved the middle chainring to the outside and they work great as SS cranks. But best of all they were free.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I love free stuff, ive found some but not as quite as nice as those. the most generous free Item was from a man here on the forums, a set of raceface cranks that are yet to be installed

mtbr member
    Bikes with semi-horizontal dropouts are becoming worth their weight in gold these days. Everyone on craig's list around here has figured that out and the most worn out old junk is selling for a min of 150 bucks.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by octotat
    Bikes with semi-horizontal dropouts are becoming worth their weight in gold these days. Everyone on craig's list around here has figured that out and the most worn out old junk is selling for a min of 150 bucks.
    how much do you think I could get for my 1984 Schwinn High sierra with semi horizontal drops?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow! You have a 1984 Schwinn High Sierra too? Nice! I found one at the Salvation Army for $20 and I converted it to a single speed road/urban commuter. It is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips
    Wow! You have a 1984 Schwinn High Sierra too? Nice! I found one at the Salvation Army for $20 and I converted it to a single speed road/urban commuter. It is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden.
    Found my laying in a big ditch, rims were shot and so was drive train so I converted it as well, only problem im having now is getting the BB off its seized, but i have little time for that bike because its too big for me

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That is what this site needs....a dumpster dive category.

Members who have read this thread: 0