Is this my dream crank?- Mtbr.com
    Category Winner

Is this my dream crank?

I didn't have good luck with my X-type cranks before (the kind that relies on the "dead stop" for bearing preload). I didn't find the XT's sexy enough, but I liked how Shimano cranks provide bearing preload. The XTR's turned me off with the goofy bolt pattern that required a bash guard or dremmeling cranks that cost over four bills.
    These are sexy, four bolt (WOOHOO), and they have a new bearing preload design. I could do these cranks on a rainbow.

Oh yeah, they require more proprietary tools. Maybe they are included in the sure to be astonomical price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

www.badgercycles.com
    I'm going to grab a set for the wife as soon as I can. I'll stick some ss rings on there just to see how they look.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by robpennell
    I'm going to grab a set for the wife as soon as I can. I'll stick some ss rings on there just to see how they look.
    If you do (and you wouldn't mind) would you post up some impressions. Cranks have always been a sticking point for me. I have been through five options in the last 2.5 years. I would love to "settle down". Nothing wrong with the carbon FSA/Octalink BB I am running except for the wear on the carbon that I have to put an innertube over (and replace when it wears through).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Looking to Start Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    If you do (and you wouldn't mind) would you post up some impressions. Cranks have always been a sticking point for me. I have been through five options in the last 2.5 years. I would love to "settle down". Nothing wrong with the carbon FSA/Octalink BB I am running except for the wear on the carbon that I have to put an innertube over (and replace when it wears through).

Just curious, but is that your shoe rubbing the crank? Can't seem to figure out what is causing that much damage.

I'm currently torn between the 06 FSA Carbon or the 06 Raceface Deus XC (MMmmm Shiney SIlver)

But that Carbon is to sexy to ignore
    Evolve or Die

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TREK 4 Life
    Just curious, but is that your shoe rubbing the crank? Can't seem to figure out what is causing that much damage.

I'm currently torn between the 06 FSA Carbon or the 06 Raceface Deus XC (MMmmm Shiney SIlver)

It generally happens in really bad mud that covers my shoe. A lot of the damage was from the Trans Rockies. We spent some really long days in the saddle with a whole lot of mud. Deus was my bad experience with X-type, but it was an early model and I heard they corrected the problem.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    The new XTRs look amazing, but I sure as hell don't want to know how much they will cost. I can go on dreaming for the moment.

Recovering couch patato
    Normally I don't care about that, but what the Q-factor on those? Looks super wide.

mtbr member
    Well, maybe, but it's hard to tell with only one crank arm in view. Anyone have a solid number on that?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TREK 4 Life

My shoes rub in the same place. I have worn through chrome plating.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Luckily I don't rub the cranks with my feet, Here's a set I've had for a good 4+ years on two different bikes:

I like the FSA cranks so much that I even put a set on my road bike:

mtbr member
    I didn't rub cranks with my feet when I had SPDs, but with my Eggbeaters I do now. Not really a big deal though.

Members who have read this thread: 0