¡Manos arriba!

My daughter wants a SS

Who makes (or does anybody have) a X-Small frame (like a 13" or so) suitible for a cheap SingleSpeed preferably steel.

Probably drunk right now

Surly likely the best bet...

Quote Originally Posted by NoDunut4U
    Who makes (or does anybody have) a X-Small frame (like a 13" or so) suitible for a cheap SingleSpeed preferably steel.
    And beyond that, any frame manufacturer and an ENO hub. The huub may cost more than the entire bike, but iif your daughter decides she doesn't like it, I think it defaults to you.

Ken

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Not SS specific but Jamis offers several models (Dakota comes to mind) in that size and can be converted, they go cheap if you look around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

eBay find

ENO-ize this Bontrager:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

(no relation to seller in any way)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hilljack
    ENO-ize this Bontrager:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

(no relation to seller in any way)
    That is a good idea.

dd..'''

PS. You could also build it up with a tensioner/conversion kit for price point.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    How tall is your daughter?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

For more affordable bikes take a look at..

GT or Giant if you want aluminum. I know I've seen an Avalanche hardtail in XS (13"). A friend of mine rides a Giant Yukon 14" and she's 5' 1". For steel maybe a Jamis Exile. You could convert any of these with a tensioner. Like someone else said, perhaps a XS Surly 1X1 would work. Good luck.
    Last edited by Pho'dUp; 10-27-2004 at 07:07 PM.

¡Manos arriba!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrab
    How tall is your daughter?
    Honestly I don;t know EXACLTY, but she's getting up there in height... probably aproaching 5' now. Your above average 11 year old (5th grader) that is 4" taller than the tallest boy in her class. She comfortably fits on her mom's old 13.5" Gary Fisher Gitchee Gummee (with a shorter stem with less rise.)

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Honestly I don;t know EXACLTY, but she's getting up there in height... probably aproaching 5' now. Your above average 11 year old (5th grader) that is 4" taller than the tallest boy in her class. She comfortably fits on her mom's old 13.5" Gary Fisher Gitchee Gummee (with a shorter stem with less rise.)
    You might want to check the specs on the 14" Kona Explosif (can be either geared or SS with the sliding dropouts). They don't list the 14" in their catalog but they do have one, I know this because I own one. I believe the specs are the same as their other HT 14" frames

Des(s)ert Rat
    Surly frames are not that small. Mine is the smallest at 16" and it's a tad large for me.

surlysoul
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Surly frames are not that small. Mine is the smallest at 16" and it's a tad large for me.

Surly makes the 1x1 in a 14 that is the size my wife rides she is 5' 2"

Recovering couch patato
    If you get her a SS at 11, what will she demand at 16, or 18? Don't do it man, let her ride some badly maintained gears till she's mentally ready to appreaciate the wonders of SS. You can't always give your favorite the world.
    A (pink?) 14" Surly 1x1 with light components would be spoiling her beyond belief.
    Then again, very practical as you can later easily upgrade to 16" and 18", perhaps even without opening the wallet, Surly frames all over the place.
    I got my first mountainbike, 58cm Giant Track at 13, when I had saved up for a bike half that price. Last big thing I ever got. *snif*
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

eingangradfahrer
    why don't u look for a dirt frame. they have an average 13'' aluminium frame and a short top tube wich seems to me more convenient to a female. and u can find 'em with horizontal dropouts.

greetz klaus
    I have a bad feeling about this..........

¡Manos arriba!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    If you get her a SS at 11, what will she demand at 16, or 18?
    She already IS spoiled...
    She rides mom's new Ti Hardtail bike almost more than mom rides it.

Don't do it man, let her ride some badly maintained gears till she's mentally ready to appreaciate the wonders of SS.
    She's ready for SS!

A (pink?) 14" Surly 1x1 with light components would be spoiling her beyond belief.
    Perfect Birthday/Christmas (4 days apart) gift
    Then again, very practical as you can later easily upgrade to 16" and 18", perhaps even without opening the wallet, Surly frames all over the place.
    And keep the 14" for her younger sister.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Dang! Now that you say that, I remember them starting the smaller frames a couple years back. Mine's 3-4 years old, I didn't have the smaller option. Either that or Hurl was lying to me and just wanted to get an old frame out the door...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

i got my...

7 yr old boy a large framed specialized 415 bmx--basically a tank, and geared it for 2:1. i've climbed with that thing, and it's a sweet and stable. we've ridden together a few times. i'm actually a little surprised at some of the hills he can climb with it. i did make sure it had front and rear brakes, 3 piece cranks, and dirt tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    you should be very careful with this. You do not want your daughter to develop knee problems. I'd probably keep her on a geared bike for a while, at least until she is a bit more grown and you can buy her a frame that is going to fit her for a while. Her knees might not be able to handle the stress that comes with climbing on a singlespeed yet, especially if you get her on a frame that doesn't fit her or won't fit her within a year or so. I'm not really a doctor so I don't know, but I do have some personal experiences with knee pain that came from bieng a chubby kid and ski racing. I don't want to play down your daughters riding abilities, I just think that you should talk to a doctor that knows about this kind of stuff before you make your desision.

mtbr member
    I want a SS, can I be your daughter??

mtbr member
    I have a Kona Fire Mountain, older steel.
    it is in great condition, but could use some paint.
    would require a tensioner.

15" center to top and 13 center to center. My girlfriend, who is 5 feet tall, has just gotten a new frame and this one is just taking up space.

i saw that you had a monocog posted in another thread. you could go that way with a 15" frame on the cheap as well.

this is the best picture that i have of the Kona, she only rode it for about two months. all the while i was trying to convice her to let me convert it to SS.
    Attached Images Attached Images