My big ol' pile of bikes today- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    My big ol' pile of bikes today

    I lined 'em all up today as is...two rd bikes......three ss hybrids....two ss trials bikes....and one ss off roader
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    My commuters

    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    I lined 'em all up today as is...two rd bikes......three ss hybrids....two ss trials bikes....and one ss off roader
    I really like riding the fixie, the other bike is a 1986 fuji team 12 speed with original drivetrain.

    I prefere mtn bike bars and bar ends on my roadies. I never got used to narrow drop bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    Ibis trials comp and a beast ss trials

    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    I really like riding the fixie, the other bike is a 1986 fuji team 12 speed with original drivetrain.

    I prefere mtn bike bars and bar ends on my roadies. I never got used to narrow drop bars.
    l used to ride a lot of trials back in the day.....I Ibis is a 1988 and the beast a 95.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Just Give'r!
    Reputation: cmatcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    212
    ridiculously tall riser stems are NOT cool, didn't you get the memo???

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    Three ss hybirds a 2x3 a 2x2 and a 3x3

    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    l used to ride a lot of trials back in the day.....I Ibis is a 1988 and the beast a 95.
    These three bikes are being riden a lot lately, they are simple and can operate on the most basic shifters and derrailleurs.

    The Surly really is a single speed by some definitons. No shifters, no derrailleurs

    I rely on finger and foot shifts of the frt chainrings on the two cannondales.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    My only real single speed off roader left

    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    These three bikes are being riden a lot lately, they are simple and can operate on the most basic shifters and derrailleurs.

    The Surly really is a single speed by some definitons. No shifters, no derrailleurs

    I rely on finger and foot shifts of the frt chainrings on the two cannondales.


    I really enjoy riding the 1FG, it's light and has good brakes. I use a 32x20. It's a great river trail bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    I'm a big crane like bird

    Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    ridiculously tall riser stems are NOT cool, didn't you get the memo???
    I have really long arms and legs, I'm 6'4......38 inseam.....35 sleave......13 shoe......215 pounds........you don't have to hurt and make afraid.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    I have really long arms and legs, I'm 6'4......38 inseam.....35 sleave......13 shoe......215 pounds........you don't have to hurt and make afraid.......
    Oh gosh...
    SHIGGY, please get lef-t on a 29er immediately!

    That poor 1x1 is struggling to contain such a lanky man, even with it's 15x120mm stem + riser bars + bar ends....whew...

    Quick! Order a Vulture!

  9. #9
    Squalor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,574
    Nice bikes.

    Bikes w/ lots of miles on them make me happy in a funny way...

    LP
    Last edited by lanpope; 12-18-2005 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Padre beat me to the 29er comment...

  10. #10
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Oh gosh...
    SHIGGY, please get lef-t on a 29er immediately!

    That poor 1x1 is struggling to contain such a lanky man, even with it's 15x120mm stem + riser bars + bar ends....whew...

    Quick! Order a Vulture!
    lef-t can take care of himself.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    Shiggy all ready did get me on a 29er

    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Oh gosh...
    SHIGGY, please get lef-t on a 29er immediately!

    That poor 1x1 is struggling to contain such a lanky man, even with it's 15x120mm stem + riser bars + bar ends....whew...

    Quick! Order a Vulture!
    I would love a Vulture 29. I stopped by Shiggy's place recently and rode his 29 slingshot.

    Everyone is getting one. I'm too strapped for cash. I haven't had a new mountain bike since early2003.

    Until then I'll just go on lookin like a dork on a comfort bike. I am kinda a dorky geek anyway. Just ask my wife or kids.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    My bikes never get a bath, I just wipe and lube the chain

    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    Nice bikes.

    Bikes w/ lots of miles on them make me happy in a funny way...

    LP

    My fixie when through a whole year of rain and still hasn't been washed, nor has any of my mountain bikes.

    I don't like to spend much time cleaning bikes. I like riding them and putting them away until next time.

  13. #13
    Devolution is real!
    Reputation: toyota200x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    477
    Oh my GOD..........it is so awesome to see those trials bikes. When I saw the first pic with the ibis I was in shock. THen I noticed the beast of the east. Please show me some riding pics of the trials bikes. Do you have a parts breakdown on the Cannondale? I have never seen those cranks before. How strong are the canti brakes? If you are interested in what is currently going on it trials visit www.observedtrials.net. Please post riding pics.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    I love trials, always have.

    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    Oh my GOD..........it is so awesome to see those trials bikes. When I saw the first pic with the ibis I was in shock. THen I noticed the beast of the east. Please show me some riding pics of the trials bikes. Do you have a parts breakdown on the Cannondale? I have never seen those cranks before. How strong are the canti brakes? If you are interested in what is currently going on it trials visit www.observedtrials.net. Please post riding pics.

    I didn't have a digital camera when I used to ride trials. It's been about 5 or 6 year since I've done any competing or real practicing.

    I have a lot of video tape of me riding both bikes.

    Thanks for the trials link. I still enjoy watching trails.

    I had bullseye cranks, paul hubs, and onza cantis. I used to have rynolites but I sold those wheels when I retired from trails.

    I never used to have a seat or seat post on my trails bikes when I competed or practiced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    I won the 1988 Arizona trials championship on this Ibis

    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    I didn't have a digital camera when I used to ride trials. It's been about 5 or 6 year since I've done any competing or real practicing.

    I have a lot of video tape of me riding both bikes.

    Thanks for the trials link. I still enjoy watching trails.

    I had bullseye cranks, paul hubs, and onza cantis. I used to have rynolites but I sold those wheels when I retired from trails.

    I never used to have a seat or seat post on my trails bikes when I competed or practiced.

    I started riding trials in 1987 on a Haro response 20" wheel trails bike. The next year I bought the Ibis for $450. The DKG cranks are $150 and where 155 mm. Those are the original wheels. The original stem cracked and was replaced with a BMX stem and bar.

    I don't know how I ever rode such tiny bikes. When I got the Beast I never rode a modified 20 again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    ...
    Reputation: CDtofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,316

    This post makes me want to go ride....

    Nice post, I hope my new bike and soon to be built SS see half the miles that some of yours have on them...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    216
    Sheldon Brown called, he wants his bike collection back.

  18. #18
    Devolution is real!
    Reputation: toyota200x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    477
    Is there anyway we could see some of those videos of you riding trials? It is so rad that you have these bikes. What did the Haro look like???

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    My friend Bill and I both had Haro Resonses in 1987

    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    Is there anyway we could see some of those videos of you riding trials? It is so rad that you have these bikes. What did the Haro look like???
    We competed in the Arizona state trials championship. Bill and I set up all the sections. He hauled logs in a trailer to all the events.

    We went to an event in Durango. Lot's of good talent was there. I met Hans Rey, he was an awsome rider and easily won the expert class.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    Trials was in it's infancy back then

    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    We competed in the Arizona state trials championship. Bill and I set up all the sections. He hauled logs in a trailer to all the events.

    We went to an event in Durango. Lot's of good talent was there. I met Hans Rey, he was an awsome rider and easily won the expert class.
    Most Arizona trials riders didn't have modified bike back then, a lot of cross country riders competed. It was a lot of fun. No body was really awesome in Az back then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    email me with your adress and I'll send you a trails tape

    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    Is there anyway we could see some of those videos of you riding trials? It is so rad that you have these bikes. What did the Haro look like???
    I have many hours of me practicing trials and competing on my Beast. I used to ride and practice everyday. I still can't ride anywhere without looking for great sections. I see every rock and root and log as a obsticle to clean.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    Pictures of pictures of my beast and ibis

    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    Oh my GOD..........it is so awesome to see those trials bikes. When I saw the first pic with the ibis I was in shock. THen I noticed the beast of the east. Please show me some riding pics of the trials bikes. Do you have a parts breakdown on the Cannondale? I have never seen those cranks before. How strong are the canti brakes? If you are interested in what is currently going on it trials visit www.observedtrials.net. Please post riding pics.
    I have a bunch of pictures pasted on a board in my garage, here's a few of me riding the ibis and the beast.

    I always had trials stuff to play on in front of my old bike shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    I lined 'em all up today as is...two rd bikes......three ss hybrids....two ss trials bikes....and one ss off roader
    That orange on an Ibis?

    NM, I looked down further, long thread... nice bike.
    Last edited by usr666; 12-22-2005 at 06:02 AM.

  24. #24
    Devolution is real!
    Reputation: toyota200x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    477
    The Last pic on post #20..........what is that crazy aluminum framed bike hopping off the car?
    It looks custom or homemade. Thank you for the pics. Have you ever thought about getting back into trials? What made you stop riding? What year did you stop? Do you still think that you could get on the rear wheel and hop around?

    You should join www.observedtrials.net and post up some of these pics. The guys on obsevedtrials can be sarcastic at times but it is a good place.

  25. #25
    Full Tilt Boogie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,650
    Crazy stuff. Last alum bike loks cool. Swoopy tubed, 20" cruiser trials bike. The guy can make it move too!
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

  26. #26
    thump thump
    Reputation: artbeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    35
    "What is truth?" - Pilate to Jesus

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    Jim Tragonis from California rode the aluminum trails custom

    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    The Last pic on post #20..........what is that crazy aluminum framed bike hopping off the car?
    It looks custom or homemade. Thank you for the pics. Have you ever thought about getting back into trials? What made you stop riding? What year did you stop? Do you still think that you could get on the rear wheel and hop around?

    You should join www.observedtrials.net and post up some of these pics. The guys on obsevedtrials can be sarcastic at times but it is a good place.
    Jim Tragonis was a very good rider, he was way better than anyone in Arizona at the time. The other twp riders where a young kid from colorado and the 1987-88ish state champion.

    I've never considered getting back into trials. I think the sport has become way too difficult and dangerous at the top level. I would enjoy riding beginner class.

    I still use trials to hop around difficult switchbacks or up some root wad. I can still hop on my back wheel. I can do all the basic moves.

    I think I quit riding trials in 1999, people I rode with had moved away, There was no bicycle trials in Arizona after 1991. The guy that used to promote and organize the events moved to Colorado.

    In the mid 90's I built up the beast and started practicing again, I put on one trials event at a race at Sunrise Ski resort around 97. I easily won the event because trials was dead in Arizona and my only competion were some young kids I was teaching.

    In 1998 I went up to Telluride Co to a real trials event. I was so intimidated by the sections I only entered the beginner class and won. I felt kinda bad beating beginners but I was too afraid and unskilled to do the big stuff the other riders had to do.

    By 2000 I was completly out of the trials scene and started racing single speeds agian. I was into bike camping, trail riding and endurance racing. In 2002 I did three 12 hrs solo night races on my ss. In early 2003 I did a 24 hr solo on my single speed.

    Now I have totally quit all competition, all I do are fun rides with my family and friends and co workers from the bike shop I work at. I have offered to teach my friends how to ride trials, so far no real leasons.

  28. #28
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    ...I have offered to teach my friends how to ride trials, so far no real lessons.
    I would be up for some trials lessons! Everything I know is self taught and I know I have some bad habits.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mudflaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I would be up for some trials lessons! Everything I know is self taught and I know I have some bad habits.
    Lef-T, I'd go for some lessons. Even though I've been on MTB's for twenty years+, there are a few things on trails that intimidate me or have me crashing (last night I was falling all over on account of the native Oregon trail snakes - wet roots) getting in Sparty's way a coupla times when I was down on the ground under the bike. He tells me my tire's at fault, I think it was pilot error.

  30. #30
    Devolution is real!
    Reputation: toyota200x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    477
    Yeah trials is scary at times and the stuff the pros do is crazy and could equal death. Also there is so many brands of bikes out there it is getting crazy. It is a good thing to have variety but I don't want trials to get blown out like skateboarding.

    Here are some new trials frames. The first pic is a GU brand.....not Giant. I really like the second bike (koxx brand). The third bike is a KOXX brand dual disc prototype.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (171.9 KB, 516 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (86.0 KB, 505 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (108.4 KB, 567 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (126.2 KB, 502 views)
    Last edited by toyota200x; 12-22-2005 at 10:23 PM.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    I would love to hop around with you and mudflaps anytime

    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I would be up for some trials lessons! Everything I know is self taught and I know I have some bad habits.
    I like to just play around on easy stuff. Oregon is a hard place to practice trials, everything gets so greasy. I'm very careful on logs, roots and rocks.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    I've had a few oregon snakes get me too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Lef-T, I'd go for some lessons. Even though I've been on MTB's for twenty years+, there are a few things on trails that intimidate me or have me crashing (last night I was falling all over on account of the native Oregon trail snakes - wet roots) getting in Sparty's way a coupla times when I was down on the ground under the bike. He tells me my tire's at fault, I think it was pilot error.
    We didn't have greasy roots, logs and rocks in Arizona. There's a lot of little things I'm too sketched out to ride on. I wont do stupid stunts anymore. I hate getting injured.

    Basic trials skills give you more confidence with your slow speed balance. You can clean a lot more switchbacks with some trials lessons.

    I can show you how to do the basic moves, you have to practice a lot to get relaxed and cat like.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    Wow what a difference from my haro, ibis and c-dale

    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    Yeah trials is scary at times and the stuff the pros do is crazy and could equal death. Also there is so many brands of bikes out there it is getting crazy. It is a good thing to have variety but I don't want trials to get blown out like skateboarding.

    Here are some new trials frames. The first pic is a GU brand.....not Giant. I really like the second bike (koxx brand). The third bike is a KOXX brand dual disc prototype.
    They really look light and strong. I like the no seat idea, it's just extra weight.

    The sport has grown beyond what anybody could have predicted.

    I've always loved trials, I don't think you need a real trials bike to have fun.

    I used to have fun on real easy stuff. I think more people would ride trials if it wasn't so difficult and dangerous. The beginer level stuff can be very fun and practicle to learn

  34. #34
    Devolution is real!
    Reputation: toyota200x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    477
    Most bikes out there do not have seats. I like it and dislike it at the same time. Some streety trials bikes like Leesons from the UK have seat posts. I don't really like most of the new style frames. The newest thing going is high BB but most people don't like the way it rides. I really like the Leeson bikes........pics below.

    Was anyone using Magura HS 22,11, or 33's when you built up you cannondale? Where did you find trials parts for bikes without the internet?

    Lef-t.........did you get my e-mail?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    742

    We made our own trials parts

    Quote Originally Posted by toyota200x
    Most bikes out there do not have seats. I like it and dislike it at the same time. Some streety trials bikes like Leesons from the UK have seat posts. I don't really like most of the new style frames. The newest thing going is high BB but most people don't like the way it rides. I really like the Leeson bikes........pics below.

    Was anyone using Magura HS 22,11, or 33's when you built up you cannondale? Where did you find trials parts for bikes without the internet?

    Lef-t.........did you get my e-mail?
    The magura's were out back in mid 90's, a friend had them on a Ross trials bike. I thought my canti's with brake boasters were ok.

    I made my own chain tensioners out of spare parts, we made our own chainring guards too. My skills got a lot better when I started riding the c-dale beast of the east. I liked the bigger wheels and frame much better, it was lighter than my Ibis too.

    I never used a rear derrailleur or a cassette, always single speed. Technically my bike wasn't legal to compete on in the stock class, there wasn't any trials organization in Arizona back then so I just ignored the rules and did my own thing.

    I never got an email from you, do you still want some trials tapes? We had some very nice trials rocks to play on in Arizona. I really enjoyed looking for new sections to play on.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tomacropod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    541
    woohoo more trials people :-)

    I ride in the elite class here in Australia. I think I'm currently placed about 12th nationally across all competitive riders.

    Trials lessons? Sounds fun !

    - Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33
    I always wanted to learn to ride trials....if anyone wants to give lessons in norther jersey or the hudson valley I'm game....

    way back in the day I was friends with a couple of guys who were trials gods.....not sure what happened to them besides retirement, kids and day jobs.

    one question: what happened to the seats on them fancy bikes

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tomacropod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    541
    seats? surplus to requirements - and hazardous to future family prospects during unintended bails.

    I love those leesons though - Toyota200 is that Tongue's bike?

    - Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

  39. #39
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Lef-T, I'd go for some lessons. Even though I've been on MTB's for twenty years+, there are a few things on trails that intimidate me or have me crashing (last night I was falling all over on account of the native Oregon trail snakes - wet roots) getting in Sparty's way a coupla times when I was down on the ground under the bike. He tells me my tire's at fault, I think it was pilot error.
    If I knew that, I could have given you a few pointers at Barbie Camp. I had my trials bike there and everything, though I barely touched it while I was there.

    I'll have to drive down and hook up with you guys some time soon. I haven't made much time to explore central OR since I've moved here. I'll happily exchange trials tips for trail beta.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

  40. #40
    Devolution is real!
    Reputation: toyota200x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    477
    Lef-t I sent you a PM about the address. Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.