mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My arms! My arms!

The singlespeed is handing out some serious grief to my arms, to the point where I feel like they're more likely to give out before my legs on a tough climb. The pain is all upper arm, chiefly in the triceps, nothing in the forearms. I don't get any arm pain on the geared bike.

So what gives? I am not a strong rider (get out twice a week), so maybe that's the answer right there, but surely I can ride the SS up a hill without feeling that I'm simultaneously maxing out on the bench press?

Any tips on critical aspects of frame geometry or riding position much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JBone
    The singlespeed is handing out some serious grief to my arms, to the point where I feel like they're more likely to give out before my legs on a tough climb. The pain is all upper arm, chiefly in the triceps, nothing in the forearms. I don't get any arm pain on the geared bike.

So what gives? I am not a strong rider (get out twice a week), so maybe that's the answer right there, but surely I can ride the SS up a hill without feeling that I'm simultaneously maxing out on the bench press?

Any tips on critical aspects of frame geometry or riding position much appreciated.

How long have you been riding overall?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Are you riding rigid?
    Are your bars/stem too low?
    Are you a lumberjack w/ a broken chainsaw?

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by JBone

The gym can be your friend. The SSing thing requires much more upper body strength than geared riding. I have not been in a while, but I usually try to get in lots of upper body (I am fond of bench, curls, french curls for the triceps, lats, millitary, etc., along with abs, and back extensions) If you have an off season it is the perfect time to hit the weights a bit.
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    sounds like an underdeveloped upper body...

I'm a climber, so switching to SS wasn't painful at all, but i do notice the huge amount of upper body stress involved.

Perhaps switching to a wider bar would grant you more leverage/less fatigue?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    The gym can be your friend. The SSing thing requires much more upper body strength than geared riding. I have not been in a while, but I usually try to get in lots of upper body (I am fond of bench, curls, french curls for the triceps, lats, millitary, etc., along with abs, and back extensions) If you have an off season it is the perfect time to hit the weights a bit.
    Good point, I forgot about that. My other hobby is surfing. I find that to be a pretty good counterpart as it's muscles are lots of triceps, deltoids, and forearm devlopment... all pretty important muscleSS....espcially the triceps....

hispanic mechanic

Yup. Strength training courtesy SS!

I found that steep, long climbs on 1 speeds tended to max out the tricepsat first. You'll get used to it. Often, once you get used to your gearing, you won't struggle as much on the climbs, and anyway, your arms will be stronger to boot!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    I also have a wimpy upper body... triceps hurt like hell... one day I'll cross-train with weights... yea, one day....

widebody
    Mar 2004
    Yup, me too. Started SSing in January of this year and my arms gave out before the legs and lungs. I too ride like 2 times a week so it took a while for the pain to subside.....until today. Yesterday we decided to ride up a trail here in OC SoCal that i've only ridden down called rock it. Had to walk some but rode most. The triceps and lats are feeling the burn today. Have fun..

Whatever! Just crash it!
    The cool thing is that after you've been riding SS for a while, you get big, manly arms that make girls swoon. That's what it said on the package at least.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chin-ups and bar ends

Pulling on a flat bar uses primarily your triceps - as you've found. You can strengthen these with weights, or just plain old chin-ups. A much stronger muscle is the bicep, and you use these more if you use bar ends, or maybe a Jones H-bar. So I'd advise getting some bar-ends and a daily regimen of chin-ups, both underhand and overhand.

Sam