My 1FG 69er fixie/free trail bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

My 1FG 69er fixie/free trail bike

I just converted my cannodale into a play bike. I removed the headshok, installed a rigid 29er fork and built a new big frt wheel. I took off the rear brake and built a surly fixie/free rear wheel. I have a 20t freewheel and a 16t fixed cog on the back. I use a 34-38 dual chainring.

I use the 34x20 free gears to ride up trail and the 38x16 fixed gears to come back down. The 29er fork and wheel smooth out the bumps without a complex shock. The chain length is the same in both gears.

I had to install a headset reducer to install the Salsa fork. I'm glad to say bye bye to all the special C-dale parts. I have learned to appreciate common speced parts. I love simple things.

I put a hollow axle with a QR in the surly hub so I could flip the wheel around for fast gear changes. Nothing in the project was difficult and the bike is a lot more fun for me to ride.

I was able to shorten the stem and use lower rise bars. The bike looks like it fits me better. Big guys look better on 29er's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0