Mutants??- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mutants??

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Mutants??

Yesterday my friend and I decided to ride SS in Simi Valley, CA at a place I believe is called Long or Longs canyon, to the top of Albertsons motorway (I think, never been there before), and back down. Lots of killer single tracks, some kinda technical, plus some wide open fire roads. Just before we started our last single track down out of the trails we ran into a couple guys on 35 or 40 speed full sus bikes. We caught them on a short climb and were all waiting for some hikers to crest the hill we needed to go down. They started looking at our bikes and realized we were SS riders. They said "you SS guys are mutants". Huh?? I know my friends Spot 29er w/belt drive is kinda unique, and my old Klein conversion is novel with the vintage Rock Shox 1's on it, but mutants??
    Anyway, we showed them how mutants ride by smoking them down the steep single track out. Already had our bikes in the truck when they rolled out of the trail. Perhaps our mutation process has given us mad skills we could never possess as mere mortals. We'll never really know, but it sure was fun leaving the non mutants eating our mutant dust!!!! It was even sweeter for me on an 18 yr old bike, using an over 50 yr old body.
    Anyone else been called a mutant out SS riding??
    Last edited by Kranky1; 05-25-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    I got no friends, and everyone else hates me.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Apr 2007
    No, but 35 - 40 speed bikes would surely be qualified as mutants.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    No, but 35 - 40 speed bikes would surely be qualified as mutants.
    What? Even a 2x10 has 40 ... 2 x 10 x 2 (sit or stand) = 40

Apr 2007
    If that's true, we're all riding doublespeeds.

35 speed still mystifies me, though. Someone should buy a Fatback frame and try a 1x35.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think most people underestimate their ability to ride a SS. Hopefully we are mutants but I think most people have never even tried it.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

mtbr member
    Ok, so maybe I stretched the truth a bit about their gears, I was attempting humor.
    Its funny but I totally wanted to try single speed as soon as I heard about it. Saved a great old Klein from sitting collecting dust, too!!!
    Now if I could figure out how to fit a more modern front suspension I'd be set.

Apr 2007
    Those old Kleins are sweet, but STIFF. Nice bikes, though. I had a Quantum Race I loved, but I think my sit bones are still bruised from riding it.

mtbr member
    Yes, they are a very stiff ride, but it handles so sweet!!

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    So really, we're all riding dinglespeeds. Interesting...

mtbr member
    I've never been called a "mutant" but I do get some "gasps" and "wow's" when fellow riders see my SS set up. They tend to say something like "man, I can't believe you ride SS, that's just crazy" and I usually say something like "nah, not really crazy, I just decided to man up one day and try it and I haven't looked back"....

Apr 2007
    FWIW, I don't think you're any tougher or more manly because you ride a SS. You can ride a geared bike with the same intensity (and you'll also be faster) -- it's just limited to your mental toughness. Sometimes, I'm more tired on a geared bike than a SS --- especially on road bikes where you're pushing the biggest gear the whole way, instead of spinning out and coasting on the SS.

Now fixed gear, that's man-ing up ---I give props to all you fixed MTB riders. I ride fixed on-road, but no balls to ride off road.

Ovaries on the Outside
    FWIW, I don't think you're any tougher or more manly because you ride a SS. You can ride a geared bike with the same intensity (and you'll also be faster) -- it's just limited to your mental toughness.

Now fixed gear, that's man-ing up ---I give props to all you fixed MTB riders. I ride fixed on-road, but no balls to ride off road.
    I agree and disagree with you here. I think that SS is just as fast as geared in most situations. There are times when gears would be faster, but in general I'm just as fast SS as geared.

I do agree that manly/tougher talk is a little bit of a boner.

Fixed gear offroad is pretty nutty. I've done it several times on my cross bike and with my Tomicog... but Western Oregon isn't the best location to ride it because one would go SO much slower....

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    I'd rather vote Democrat than ride fixie MTB.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I agree and disagree with you here. I think that SS is just as fast as geared in most situations. There are times when gears would be faster, but in general I'm just as fast SS as geared....
    I guess it just depends on the rider. For me, doing the same loop, I'm faster on the geared bike. Mainly because on climbs, I'm still mashing and running around the same ratio as the SS, but on the flats, big ring mashing kills SS spinning. Though some trails here are mostly just up and down, in which case, not a big difference between the two.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I guess it just depends on the rider. For me, doing the same loop, I'm faster on the geared bike. Mainly because on climbs, I'm still mashing and running around the same ratio as the SS, but on the flats, big ring mashing kills SS spinning. Though some trails here are mostly just up and down, in which case, not a big difference between the two.
    That is the trick, and I guess I didn't make it clear, but... it is circumstantial. The downhills in my area are fast enough that gears don't help. I spin up to as far as 20mph and that is about as fast I as I get. If you tuck, you'll blow through fast enough.

But meh, we'll have to ride together and discuss this further later.

Dive Bomber
    People often shout 'single gear' when I pass them on uphill LOL.

I didn't know that most of people concern with your drivetrain when you pass them on uphill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    When I started riding single speed, I noticed that you had no choice but pedal up the hill with good speed... because as soon as you slow down you are walking it.

Out spokin'
    If you look in the dictionary, you'll find that "moron" precedes "mutant."

As for whether SS riders are faster than geared riders, in my experience they are. On local group rides, the SS guys are always off the front. Now an SS rider on a gearie, that's a different thing. Yeah, the SSer on gears will rip it up. See what I'm sayin'?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Let me elaborate on my "man up" statement, by no means did I mean I was "manlier" than someone on a geared bike, however it does seem like a lot of people I run into shy away from SS because they're apprehensive or maybe scared to try it for some reason, I guess maybe the thought of not having the option to switch gears, which is understandable, it is a little scary to think about. I simply meant that if most of those people tried to put their fears aside or in other words "man up" to the challenge they would soon find that riding SS is not near as scary or as difficult as they think it is. I normally make every attempt I can to persuade everyone to at least give it a chance because I think they would end up loving it as much as I do

Dive Bomber
    Yes I agree with some people 'scare' to try SS.

Many people ask me how is it feel to climb with SS, so I just said you can do it too. Choose your best ratio and just don't shift - as simple as that. No need to convert into SS just to know SS feels.

Some people follow my advice and try although finally give up, but some just keep saying that they can't do it although they never really try.

How can they say that they can't do it without even trying? maybe they're the real mutants, they already know even without trying LOL.

Dead Legs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    As for whether SS riders are faster than geared riders, in my experience they are. On local group rides, the SS guys are always off the front. Now an SS rider on a gearie, that's a different thing. Yeah, the SSer on gears will rip it up. See what I'm sayin'?

--sParty
    Exactly! The SSers that I know, were super fast on gears first, got bored and went to SS.. they are fast on any bike, but enjoy SS better.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwin View Post
    Exactly! The SSers that I know, were super fast on gears first, got bored and went to SS.. they are fast on any bike, but enjoy SS better.
    I'm evidence to the contrary.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    I'm evidence to the contrary.
    In ALL things...

Loves ya bra,
    sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Loves ya bra,
    sParty
    I am not prepared for that level of commitment.

Members who have read this thread: 0