mtb rack for a road bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

mtb rack for a road bike?

Ok ive heard it rumored and just wanted to see if anyone knows if there is a rack I can put my singlespeed on and attach to the back of my road bike to get to the trails. Seeing as how the gas prices arent going to let up and riding my 33X19 gear the 20 miles to the trailhead would just be a pain in the a$$. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've never seen anything like that, and am curious how it would work.

What if you get one of these:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...31&PID=1204522
    and bolt one of these:
    http://www.rockymounts.com/clutch
    to it? Then trail the rear wheel along on the ground?

Or does it carry the whole bike off the ground somehow?

mtbr member
    thats a good idea! and would you bungee the front mtb tire to its frame while in-route? I was thinking more along the lines of getting a longer skewer, like for a bob trailer, and puting that on the back of the road bike then hooking it somehow to the front of the mtb to keep it stable with the front tire up, but your solution looks less complicated.

mtbr member
    If you want a bike trailer - this would work well - a friend builds homes and uses it to haul lumber, building supplies, and even washers and dryers to his homes when building them:
    http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/

I've pulled on around town - it had musical instruments in it - including a double bass -and it was fine!

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This wont do? White Industries double/double. No tools just switch the chain.

The Double/Double is a unique drive train system the we offer. The system is comprised of a double chainring machined from one piece of aluminum, mated with an ENO crank and a DOS ENO freewheel. The configuration for a 26" wheel bike is offered with a 38/35 big ring mated with a 16/19 freewheel. The 29er configuration mates a 31/34 ring with a 16/19 freewheel. The system works by either running the chain in the outer tooth position or, alternatively, in the inner tooth position front to back. The gear ratios are significantly changed when switching from one combination to another, however, the chain length does not need to be altered to accommodate the two differing ratios. Running the ring in the outer position tends to be more suitable for on-road style riding, whereas, riding in the inner ring position lends itself more to off-road riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am doing that exact same thing. I'll hopefully have it setup this weekend. My rear Surly Nice Rack won't be here until Friday. You need a decent bolt on rear rack with multiple mounting points. Take an old front hub and bolt it to the rack. Now put your mountain bike on that hub. Strap your front wheel to the triangle using some bungees or velcro straps. You might want to take a strap from the rack, through the triangle at the head tube, then back to the rack just for some extra security. Experiment and try it. A friend of mine does it this way, but he puts the bike on a Bob trailer as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What about this? http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...at%3A%20Tandem You could probably adapt it to fit a larger bike.

mtbr member
    The nashbar idea looks good! Its definitely the least complicated and not super expensive. Thanks for all the good ideas!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have my doubts about the Nashbar one as it only clamps around a the seatpost and head tube. It will pivot around those points.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I have my doubts about the Nashbar one as it only clamps around a the seatpost and head tube. It will pivot around those points.
    it sounds like your plan with the bolt on rack would be more solid, could you post some pics once its finished, it would be cool to see how that turns out!

stick
    Would there be any issues with the bolt-on one for the mountain bike tires being rolled for lengths over pavement ? Or would this not matter as much as there wouldn't be much weight on them ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshua
    it sounds like your plan with the bolt on rack would be more solid, could you post some pics once its finished, it would be cool to see how that turns out!
    I agree, it is a cool idea just don't forget your front wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    QBP has been out of stock of the Surly Nice Racks for a little while so I won't be getting mine until Monday or Tuesday. Probably another day to rig it. If I can borrow a digital camera I'll post pics (assuming it works). Yes, I am the only person on the planet without a digital camera.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i actually have a similar set up to what MilesInCO suggested: a rocky mounts clutch bolted to my rear rack. i had to do a little bit of fabricating to get it to mount well, but it works great, and it is cheap.
    check out my new offroad fixed gear site, tell me your thoughts: www.muddyfixedgear.com

Members who have read this thread: 0