MTB gods are frowning upon me....- Mtbr.com
    Yo!
    mtbr member

MTB gods are frowning upon me....

I love my Bianchi single speeds. I've had two SISS's and one CUSS. The CUSS has been my rock, my go to, my girl that takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. This is the bike before I swapped in a Salsa cromoto rigid fork:

Yesterday I pulled it down to do a disc brake upgrade and to finally concede to front suspension with a Reba WC.

Well, upon cleaning the bike off I found this heartbreaker:

I nearly shed a tear. Poor girl got stripped down and hung on the wall in her final resting place.

So, I turn to my SISS. The Dedacciai steel frame was one I picked up as a spare and never really rode, as I generally prefer alloy for MTB.

So I pulled the frame apart and squirted in some frame saver, popped in my King cups, and installed the bottom bracket. Here is the frame in question:

Then I happened upon this:

Picture sucks but it's the classic SISS chainstay crack.

So, what turned into a simple upgrade now has me with my thumb up my butt while my good buddies take advantage of this freakishly warm Texas weather.

mtbr member
    That's terrible! I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but I bet there is a crack near your thumb as well Least ya got some nice parts for your next build

Trail Junkie
    That sucks man...
    Now if I could ever talk you into titanium.
    Your love affair would start with a cry,
    and then tears of joy. I don't even think she
    would mind if you talked about your past relationships to her.
    I ride a Lynskey...and it worked great the last time I was in DFW.

No more funkiness, no more rust..just a very nice ride.
    Like all girls, they are expensive, but when you find the right one...price is less relevant.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Ugh I know it man, if funds could permit and I wasn't so damn stubborn ab 26" wheels, I think a Ti frame would be nice.

Probably only a matter of time before I go 29er I suppose, but I'm old school. I like square taper cranks and dedicated track ends.

I've got a lead on a pre EBB Santa Cruz Chameleon. It'll probably better suited to my needs and hold up a bit better.

mtbr member
    I have a UPS brown BUSS and love it. I would think any good frame builder could repair both of those frames at reasonable price. I'd at least inquire about that before giving up on the Bianchi.

mtbr member
    Lots of new options, just ask Santa for a new bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have an older mutt that I am about to strip down so I can build a 29er. I could send the frame your way cheap if you want it. Size is probably something like a large.MTB gods are frowning upon me....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356047473.389647.jpg

Have you considered a 1x1? Plenty of them around, just in case you break it.

Or, the Inbred is nice, as well.

My first bike went out in a similar fashion. I was at the end of a ride and on the way to the trail head the top tube and head tube sheared apart. It was a Kona Unit from when they first came out and were made with OX-Platinum. I almost cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Another vote for a 1x1 if you want to stick with a traditional style frame and track ends. Sucks to hear about your bikes, though..

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Can't you just have it welded?

Yo!
    mtbr member
    I considered having the bike repaired, but they seem to pop up every now and again for good prices since most folks have given up on 26".

Truthfully gents, the CUSS has been to hell and back and I think it's time to get something with a bit more robustness, hence my interest in the Santa Cruz. I was checking out the Voodoo Boker one 26", as well as the 1x1, which has some cool features for 2013. Honestly though, I prefer alloy, so the Surly isn't ideal for me.

I even found a brand new SINISTER MUSTANG, a bike I have PINED for for years....but alas it's a large, and I learned my lesson once before buying a bike that's too big. Just sucks, because I heard from Mickey at Spooky that FTW only made 5 of each size in the Mustang, and sadly, sinister bikes has folded.

Today I'm picking up a pre EBB Chameleon with a post SRAM Reba Team under $500.

I'll post it up when I build it. I'll keep an eye out for another bianchi SS, if anyone has one, I ride Medium (17.5)

This dude is selling a Chameleon (no affiliation with seller).

Santa Cruz Chameleon Frameset

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Here's what I just picked up over lunch...2006 Chameleon v3.0

Picking up a bottom bracket and new chain tonight, should have this ready for some ground pounding tomorrow morning.

Teen Wolf
    aww that sucks dude. i have a soft spot in my heart for those old bianchis as well. i still have a lewis built up in my garage waiting for someone to ride it. i just can't get back on 26" anymore. it's a sweet bike too. poor thing.

Members who have read this thread: 0