Mr. Whirly vs. ENO cranks- Mtbr.com
    Space Ghost

Mr. Whirly vs. ENO cranks

I need a new set of cranks for my SS. I like the adaptibility of the Surley's, but have heard they are considerably heavier than the ENO's. Performance and finish wise, I believe they are similar. Any constructive thoughts are appreciated.

Welcome to the Gem...
    <3 the ENO... that is all.
    Ibis Tranny 29

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The Surly's are heavier, sort of.
    Depending on what BB you run with the ENO's. Let say a Shimano, your weight is going to be pretty close. Now with a high end Ti or hollow Cromo BB, you'll come out lighter (In both weight and wallet).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Middleburn should be on your list too. ENO has the best bang for the buck. Total control over your chainline. Many ring sizes to choose from (too bad all their chainrings are ugly otherwise I'd have a set on my bike right now). If the Whirly's were lighter I'd consider them, but the only thing they'd be an upgrade of over my Stylo's is using a 5bolt ring.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    ENO has the best bang for the buck. Total control over your chainline. Many ring sizes to choose from (too bad all their chainrings are ugly otherwise I'd have a set on my bike right now).
    I think ENO's are the go for value and weight, but to say they're are ugly? tut tut

mtbr member

Eno

Yes, ENO.

mtbr member

Q factor & simplicity

While the eno's have about the lowest q factor you can find the whirly's have a relatively high (for an SS specific crank) of a little over 170mm. Something to consider if you have a preference either way.

On a seperate note, the eno's are about the most simple setup you can find. The whirly's seem to have managed to up the ante in the complete opposite direction (spiders, spacers, adaptors, different drive and non drive splines, etc).

The surly is cool in that it can be somewhat of a "lifetime" crank in that it can fill many roles on many bikes, if that appeals to you.

Space Ghost
    Simplicity and lighter weight are the main factors. I am not worried about fit and finish, or rigidity with either of these. I considered the Middleburns, but from what I saw, they seemed more expensive. I do wish the ENO rings were still available in Green. I am planning on running a Phil Wood stainless BB. I do appreciate the replies.

Members who have read this thread: 0