moving to DC...- Mtbr.com

Thread: moving to DC...

F@CK da dumb

moving to DC...

My wife has been transfered to Arlington. Now, I need to find a job, place to live, and place to ride. I'm actually stoked about leaving the suburban sprawl of Ohio, selling one of our cars and riding my fixie to work.
    Any DC area SSr's out there who can give me the scoop on singletrack, race series, etc?

ride on,
    b

I am the owl

We the people ...

There are plenty of DC area SSers out there (I'm up the road in Baltimore), just drop a line (riderx AT singlespeedoutlaw DOT com) when you are in town and we'll get you hooked up on a ride.

In the meantime, check this link for some of the local trails and also to see when our MTB advocacy group has rides scheduled.
    MORE trail list
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

voodoo child

pavement wise...

check out bikewashington.org for a nice list of paths to plan your commute. There are a ton of places to live in DC/MD/VA where it's easy to do the bulk of your commute without having to mix it up with the four-wheeled enemy.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joyride1x1
    My wife has been transfered to Arlington. Now, I need to find a job, place to live, and place to ride. I'm actually stoked about leaving the suburban sprawl of Ohio, selling one of our cars and riding my fixie to work.
    Any DC area SSr's out there who can give me the scoop on singletrack, race series, etc?

ride on,
    b
    I'm not an SS'er myself (maybe someday - who knows?), but there do seem to be a lot of them around here. On a recent group ride I cracked wise that SS "cult headquarters" must be nearby. Nobody disagreed. It was kind of spooky...
    Last edited by Drewdane; 03-11-2004 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Just can't leave well enough alone!

mtbr member

lots of riding here

I moved to DC four years ago for job reasons (from Monterey, CA) and I have been amazed by the great riding this area has to offer. You want classic rocky, rooty, twisty East Coast single track? We got it. Rugged mountains? Yep. Suburban MTB parks for after work rides and good time race series? Yep. A flourishing single speed scene with a collection of truly great and original characters? U huh...

Oh yeah, and its not just messengers...some of us Federal bureaucrats also ride fixies to work!

Faster Than Your TV!

Wink Did somebody mention my name?...

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaSteve
    ...with a collection of truly great and original characters...

Like ShivaSteve says, lots of SSers in the area and lots of great upcoming events local and somewhat local, to include the Cranky Monkey, 12 Hours of Lodi, and SM100, to name a few. The W&OD trail offers almost 100 miles of car-less fixie riding/commuting and then there's the C&O canal. Arlington is big on bike lanes, which are growing every year. Lots of good MTBing within an hour or so from Arlington.

When you get settled in in the area, put up a post and we can put some stuff together if you're interested.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

One gear to rule them all
    Like the others have said, lots of good riding around the DC area, lots of SS'rs too. As for the suburban sprawl, you will see sprawl around this area at a rate almost unmatched. One minute a farm, the next minute, 5,000 new homes.
    Anyway, welcome to the area. See you on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by joyride1x1

ride on,
    b