Moving the brake levers inside- Mtbr.com
    (Ali)
    Sep 2006

Moving the brake levers inside

I'm new to disk brakes and enjoying the index finger braking.

When I grab the handle bar with three fingers and brake with the index finger though, the brake lever touches or comes close to my middle finger.

I am thinking about moving the levers closer to the stem so that the index finger will pull at the ends of the levers, not giving room for the middle finger.

Has anyone tried this? Will I miss two-finger braking?

Thanks,
    Ali

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have big hands and have always moved my brake levers about 1/2" or so towards the stem from the edge of the grip. This gives my hands a lot more room and keeps me from crunching fingers when braking. I have never had any problems with lack of braking power or being unable to reach the brakes when needed.

large member
    Instead of moving your levers, it sounds more like you need to adjust your cable tension so the brake engages earlier in the lever throw.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    pisket:

Coming from a motoryccycle background I always ran my levers in a bit. You know how those nasty trees and hanging vines tend to grab'em. Running them in allows you to use 1 or 2 finger(s). With modern stuff like disc or v brakes you don't need to pull on the levers to hard. They stop with less power than the old canti stuff.
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by pisket
    I'm new to disk brakes and enjoying the index finger braking.

When I grab the handle bar with three fingers and brake with the index finger though, the brake lever touches or comes close to my middle finger.

I am thinking about moving the levers closer to the stem so that the index finger will pull at the ends of the levers, not giving room for the middle finger.

Has anyone tried this? Will I miss two-finger braking?

Thanks,
    Ali

I use my index finger only. Thats really all you need on properly set up disks.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ezrider
    have always moved my brake levers about 1/2" or so towards the stem
    Mine are already inside about that much for the same reasons. I will try moving them inside even more, so that they are like triggers for the index fingers.

I suspect that I will not like it much, because opening the index finger alone with the middle finger on the bar feels unnatural, because they want to move together Gotta test...

I will also adjust them to grab earlier like mud'n'sweat recommends; although my discs don't have cables...

Thanks for all the replies...

Ali

Exclusively Single
    I usually just use my middle finger, just feels most natural to me. My levers are in pretty far, probably about an inch from the grips, this puts the very ends of the levers right where my midle finger reaches.

mtbr member
    I second the middle finger suggestion. I started using just my middle finger a couple of years ago at the suggestion of my LBS guy and I think it feels more natural. It gives your hand a wider grip on the bar while braking and you can set your engagement point out further because your middle finger is longer. Set up your levers so the hook on the lever is in line with your middle finger, that way you can still use 2 fingers if you want. The middle finger braking takes a little getting used to, but it is worth it!

Mark

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yeah sounds like you need to adjust your brakes. im a middle finger braker as well and dont ever touch my index finger you should just do what is the most comfortable as long as you can stop well. experiment with it in a safe area

One gear to rule them all
    I run my levers in about 1/2" from the grip and I usually brake using my middle finger. I find that I can grip the bar better while braking this way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

mtbr member
    I also use the middle finger (regardless of brake type) and when I feel that the lever comes close to my other fingers, I adjust the cable tension - on mechanical disks and Vs. Obviously you have a different procedure for hydraulic disks, which are self adjusting and only need an occasional re-setting of the pistons.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Members who have read this thread: 0