moustache love on the CC- Mtbr.com
    Cracker-magnon

Good job! moustache love on the CC

Added these bars last weekend, with a hemp twine wrap to hold the synthetic tape in place (they kinda negate each other so everything is in balance. They are very comfortable to ride with on my commute, and my hands have been much happier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

hispanic mechanic

And they look better than your straight bars!

Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Added these bars last weekend, with a hemp twine wrap to hold the synthetic tape in place (they kinda negate each other so everything is in balance. They are very comfortable to ride with on my commute, and my hands have been much happier.
    So have you run it fixed off-road yet? Maybe the next time we do SART, I'll bring my CC, and try it fixed! Let me know how you like the 'staches on trail. I found them a bit narrow for my tastes.
    BTW, the 2nd time I took my CC out after the SART ride, I noticed a weird noise coming from the rear wheel. I stopped, and checked my drivetrain, but couldn't find anything whong. Then I looked over at the non-drive side of the rear wheel- the freewheel was completely blown apart! You're an animal!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Cool-blue Rhythm

They look phat, but how wide are they?
    Those are the Nittos, right? Just an approximation will do...

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    They look phat, but how wide are they?
    Those are the Nittos, right? Just an approximation will do...
    they are this wide (holds hands out)

If Sheldon's measurements are correct, they are about 20.25" C-C. They feel wider than that to me. The flat bars that were on there were about 22", and these felt wider, but it could just be the hand position. And yes they are the Nittos.

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    So have you run it fixed off-road yet? Maybe the next time we do SART, I'll bring my CC, and try it fixed! Let me know how you like the 'staches on trail. I found them a bit narrow for my tastes.
    BTW, the 2nd time I took my CC out after the SART ride, I noticed a weird noise coming from the rear wheel. I stopped, and checked my drivetrain, but couldn't find anything whong. Then I looked over at the non-drive side of the rear wheel- the freewheel was completely blown apart! You're an animal!

the los
    I have not had it off road since then. Mostly out of fear of the wheels right now. I won't be able to build a new set for a few months, and the ones that are on there are 18yr old single wall Arayas on some re-dished 6 speed hubs, with a blue loctite suicide gear It survives skids just fine, but i am more afraid of the torque on a lower gear off road. Sorry about that freewheel.

Congrats on the LMT decision. You are going to be a popular guy at the end of long rides

mtbr member

options....

hey,

i've run moustache bars off road in the past and also felt they were a bit narrow. so i've been thinking about some of the other Nitto bars that are available through Rivendell's website. their albatross bar comes in 54 and 56 cm end-to-end. the bend isn't the same as the moustache bars, and, admittedly, kinda resemble old 3 speed bars. but they're 25.4 clamp which makes mountain stems and levers happy. just waiting 'til next payday.

just a suggestion.

mtbr member
    I am now running on-one proto moustache bars (called MUNGO bars) offroad on my inbred. I coupled them to STI levers running Deore mechanical MTB disc brakes and shifting shimano mechs, as they're on my geared bike.

The Deore brakes shouldn't work with the road levers, but they seem quite happy - as I set them up quite a way through their stroke rather than at the beginning. I love 'em (the brakes, and the bars!)

I am the owl
    Looks very similar to my setup.

For skinny tired bikes off-road, the M-bars work great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.