Moustache bar stem length/rise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Moustache bar stem length/rise

I posted this on the oldschool board and didn't get much response, so I'm posting here.

I've decided to give moustache bars a ride and they are on the way. Not having used them before I'm wondering what stem length/rise i should start experimenting with. I'm currently using a 120x6 stem and a 3/4 inch rise bar. Those of you using them, how much shorter did you go? I'm putting these on the bike I am planning on racing with.

Thanks
    Joness

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joneSS
    I posted this on the oldschool board and didn't get much response, so I'm posting here.

I've decided to give moustache bars a ride and they are on the way. Not having used them before I'm wondering what stem length/rise i should start experimenting with. I'm currently using a 120x6 stem and a 3/4 inch rise bar. Those of you using them, how much shorter did you go? I'm putting these on the bike I am planning on racing with.

Thanks
    Joness
    Grant Petersen of Rivendell, who designed them, recommends a stem with more rise, and 2-3 cm shorter. The collective wisdom of the iBoB list agrees, but be prepared to play with them a while. Try to get some cheap take-offs from your LBS and find the right fit beofre spending the bucks for a nice stem. Don't tape them right away, you'll probably want to move the levers around until you find the sweet spot. Post back your thoughts and some pics of your set up.

--Shannon, who will be ordering his tomorrow, in
    San Diego,CA

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Brake levers?

What kind of levers will work with these bars and v-brakes?

surlysoul
    dia cope 287-V are drop bar levers that are linear brake compatable

JAK
    mtbr member

Really short

Quote Originally Posted by joneSS
    Those of you using them, how much shorter did you go? I'm putting these on the bike I am planning on racing with.
    Thanks
    Joness
    I got one out of the LBS parts bin. I haven't measured it, but it is about 2.75 inches long and 60 degrees of rise. I think it is a comfort/touring stem. My advice would be to go short. The curves of the bar put you a bit further out than your risers did. I dig 'em, good upright relaxing position along with a solid 'business'(in the curves) position. Double wrap here and there, for extra comfort.

adios
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    Double wrap here and there, for extra comfort.
    No, no... put cork grips ($15 a Rivendell) on the ends, then do a double-diamond wrap of CatEye or Tressostar cloth tape. Finish with hemp twine at the transition from grip to tape and at the center of the bar. Add 4 - 6 coats of Bullseye shellac. Non-aero levers with gum hoods are perfect for m-bars.

When I get my QBP order next week, I'll be doing this exact deal on my commuter. I'll post pics when it's done

--Shannon

mtbr member

I gotta disagree...

I've got moustache bars on two of my road bikes & in both cases I'm using the same stem I used with my drop bars. I tried a stem 2 cm shorter, but felt really crowded.

Of course, everyone is different...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You gonna ride that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudmeister
    I've got moustache bars on two of my road bikes & in both cases I'm using the same stem I used with my drop bars. I tried a stem 2 cm shorter, but felt really crowded.

Of course, everyone is different...
    Which Baggins bag is that? I love my Hoss, I'll be getting a Hobo and either a Little Joe or Banana bag, as I can afford them. Expensive, but they are the best bike bags I've ever seen.

--Shannon

mtbr member

It's an Adam - I've sold it

I didn't like it much after I got it - too much rubbing. I also had a Little Joe - didn't like it either, too hard to get into it. Thankfully, I was able to unload them on eBay. Back to Carradice bags for me!

Quote Originally Posted by tube_ee
    Which Baggins bag is that? I love my Hoss, I'll be getting a Hobo and either a Little Joe or Banana bag, as I can afford them. Expensive, but they are the best bike bags I've ever seen.

--Shannon
    You gonna ride that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudmeister
    I didn't like it much after I got it - too much rubbing. I also had a Little Joe - didn't like it either, too hard to get into it. Thankfully, I was able to unload them on eBay. Back to Carradice bags for me!
    Was it rubbing your thighs? It doesn't look like it was even touching the fender, so it wasn't rubbing the rear wheel, right? The Carraidce bags are great also, especially now that you can get them in dark green. I never liked the black.

I've got the Hoss on my commuter, which has a rack. Without support, it hits the tire on every bike I've tried it on. It took me about 10 minutes to get used to the bag hitting my legs. now I don't notice it at all.

One of the nice things about the Baggins and the Carradice is that you can usually get 80-90 % of what you paid when you sell one used. Not that I'll ever sell the Hoss, but there you go.

---Shannon

mtbr member

Aye, there's the rub...

It rubbed my thighs, it rubbed the frame, it rubbed the seatpost. Worse of all, on my other bike, it would press against the brake cable & cause the brake pads to rub the rims (cantilever brakes).

I like the Carradice bags a lot. I use a Bagman support, which keeps the bag neatly off the frame & thighs.
    You gonna ride that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice Pompino.

I was eyeing one of those frames.

mtbr member

If you fit a 54cm...

...there is a fella selling a complete one here:

http://www.morcmtb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10255

Sweet bike, would buy myself but one size too small.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpaws
    Nice Pompino.

I was eyeing one of those frames.
    Professional Amateur

surlysoul
    Quote Originally Posted by tube_ee
    No, no... put cork grips ($15 a Rivendell) on the ends, then do a double-diamond wrap of CatEye or Tressostar cloth tape. Finish with hemp twine at the transition from grip to tape and at the center of the bar. Add 4 - 6 coats of Bullseye shellac. Non-aero levers with gum hoods are perfect for m-bars.

When I get my QBP order next week, I'll be doing this exact deal on my commuter. I'll post pics when it's done

--Shannon
    I would still like to see a picture of this when you get your bars done.