Most Common SS MTB Crankset?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Most Common SS MTB Crankset?

I'm new to SS and am looking at buying a new crank (currently I'm using my 3-ring crank on the middle ring). What are the most common cranksets people are using on MTB singles? I am looking for a quality crank something comparable in quality / weight to Shimano XT (not the best but respectable, reliable, durable, etc). Thanks in advance for your sage advice!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I use an XT crank with a SS specific 32T ring on my Redline.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Most common, not sure. A lot here use moded XTR, and xt or lx. I use RF rice XC on most of my SS, but cook bros cranks on my Fat.

On a diffrent note, try to use a SS chainring. One thats not ramped or pinned. Will keep things running smoother.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    hard to beat shimano for the money. I'm kinda diggin my bontrager race lite SS though... with a ti bottom bracket and a spiderless ring, it'll be in m960 territory weight-wise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you're looking to buy a crankset, I highly recommend the modded Shimano XTR M960. You can purchase one already modified and ceramic coated from Shawnee Trail Bike which are gorgeous and perform great. Very stiff, very light, and extremely reliable. You can contact him at RDDale7 @ gmail dot com. Here are mine:

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    sweet! I actually have an XTR crank available to use. What kind of chainring do you have on this one? Looks like a very simple mod.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's one of ISuckAtRiding's (ISAR) chainrings. They're very well made, light, and a good price. Instead of modding it on your own, I'd just send it to Shawnee and let him do it; it doesn't cost much more and he does a great job.

mtbr member
    +1 for Shawnee cranks. I'm running them on my new SS and I love it.

Most Common SS MTB Crankset?-photo.jpg

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    well the ones truvativ comes in close second
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member

180 with 32t 585g

Here's a set of 180mm that are quite lite. Sorry about the typo 545grams
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Most Common SS MTB Crankset?-009.jpg  

Last edited by crazy8; 10-19-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Old, stale, negative
    White Industries Eno.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    White Industries Eno.
    ^ this

mtbr member

507g with no CF

^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    THIS AEROZINE SS with 32 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by smaxor
    ^ this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Most Common SS MTB Crankset?-005.jpg  

Most Common SS MTB Crankset?-009-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ENO fer' sure. Best crank I've owned.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Another Eno:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Most Common SS MTB Crankset?-dsc_2056.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I guess I just don't understand the appeal of ENO cranks. I've killed enough square taper cranks that I jumped on Octalink when it became available, and then converted all my bikes to Hollowtech II when it became available. I just don't see why I'd want to go back.
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 11-17-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I guess I just don't understand the appeal of ENO cranks. I've killed enough square taper cranks that I jumped one Octalink when it became available, and then converted all my bikes to Hollowtech II when it became available. I just don't see why I'd want to go back.
    I'm with you on that, i dont think i've ever had a square taper crank last more than a few months before it started rounding out and developed a wobble. Even some fairly expensive cranks. And yes, they were all torqued properly.
    ISIS lasts quite a bit longer for me, and i have yet to destroy a hollowtech II. Both can handle much more radial load than a square taper by design.

is buachail foighneach me
    shimano cranks/bb's super reliable and as said, nearly impossible to beat from a value/dollar standpoint. I'm running lx on one, xt on another. I never really had a huge problem with square taper, except when i insisted on running kooka racha's for couple of years....

mtbr member
    There's a nice selection of Uber cranks in here and I love the XTR and XT conversions.

In answer to the question about what's most common, however, I think the real answer may be something like the TruVativ 1.1's or some of the other "more average" SS cranksets.

mtbr member
    I use Race Face atlas cranks in a 180. I also have a set of 960xtrs but they are 175 so I don't know if I'm going to use them. I really want the 970 xtr with the one of Dans Ti chain rings.

mtbr member
    to me? ENO cranks because I see them every day.

mtbr member
    Anyone else make the modified XTR 960s? It is very confusing trying to contact Shawnee, I am trying to tie into a pair asap.

mtbr member
    Write RD at Shawnee. His email I'd rddale7 at gmail.com. He's fantastic to work with.

is buachail foighneach me
    I'm pretty sure someone did a semi-tutorial here on it. search and you might find it. would save you some money, assuming you don't screw it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    Anyone else make the modified XTR 960s? It is very confusing trying to contact Shawnee, I am trying to tie into a pair asap.
    Um, have you tried emailing him? He responds to emails quickly.

mtbr member
    Um, have you tried emailing him? He responds to emails quickly.
    I have officially eaten all my words about having a hard time getting in touch with RD. He is Super easy to work with. I suck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Im using a heavy duty Race face diabolus, Does anybody knows what the weight on these puppies. looks very heavy. Im planning on trading this for a light weight one. Anyone interested.

mtbr member

Spiderless Cranks

What cranks can you use for spiderless chainrings? Will you have to use 2 non-driveside arm and attach the spiderless chainring to the BB?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can use spiderless rings with crankset which are designed for spiderless rings. The Eno and M950 XTR cranksets are two common spiderless designs.

mtbr member
    Please exuse my ignorance, but what all is involved in modification? I always assumed it was as simple as just bolting on a new ring,

mtbr member
    I had a Truvativ Noir 3:3 converted to 1:1. Nice, light, blingy and stiff but the BB seemed to wear out fast.

mtbr member
    It could be that your BB shell neeeds to be faced. If its a little out of square it will cause a vibration in the bearings and bring about premature failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    I had a Truvativ Noir 3:3 converted to 1:1. Nice, light, blingy and stiff but the BB seemed to wear out fast.

Birdman aka JMJ

Canuck it

My 2 SS's have Race Face Turbine 180mm cranks, square taper Shimano UN72 BBs. Wife's SS is also RF Turbine, square taper, 170mm.

All MTBs in my household have Race Face Turbines - 4 square taper, 2 ISIS... no failures (going back to 2001).

If it ain't broke...

JMJ

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    I'm pretty sure someone did a semi-tutorial here on it. search and you might find it. would save you some money, assuming you don't screw it up.
    I have it book marked at home, if no-one else links to it before tonight I'll try and remember to stick up then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    Like crazy8 said, your bottom bracket shell needs to be faced before installing an external BB. A lot of frames come from the factory without it faced. Also, the stock bearings usually aren't very good, so I recommend upgrading to the Enduro bearings; you don't need the expensive ones, the cheap $15 work very nicely.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com

mtbr member
    Another +1 for the ENO!!!

mtbr member
    personal favorite is the surly mr. whirly.
    Its nice, simi- light for the strength and price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint
    Please exuse my ignorance, but what all is involved in modification? I always assumed it was as simple as just bolting on a new ring,
    They chop off the top chain part of the crank spider because the BCD of the outer ring is too large for a standard MTB single speed chain ring. The modification is more or less making it look pretty

mtbr member
    I just put a deposit down on a Niner One9 with the EBB. I would like to run the WI ENO cranks. What external bracket do I need to run to accomidate the ENO and the EBB?

Does CK make a BB that would fit a square taper?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedforbroke
    The modification is more or less making it look pretty
    And light. Don't forget light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by abp689
    I just put a deposit down on a Niner One9 with the EBB. I would like to run the WI ENO cranks. What external bracket do I need to run to accomidate the ENO and the EBB?
    There is no "external bracket" needed for it. The ENO is a standard square taper crankset, so you just need a square taper bottom bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by abp689
    Does CK make a BB that would fit a square taper?
    Chris King does not make any square taper bottom brackets, only external bottom brackets.

mtbr member

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    Cheers. Might try this.

Anyone with any tips for coating black. Would rattle can spraying be sufficent?

Also, despite the fact that the m970's are a bit fugly (IMHO), I may just try and get some if they come up for a similar price.

Are they much better? would they fit a Gates CarbonDrive beltring (104bcd) well?

I've seen a XTR 970 cranks sans chainrings and the outside of the spider has a near hexangonal edge as opposed to a rounded one. Will this interfer with the belt ring?

Sorry loads of questions

ED: the XTR 960s look to have the chainring on the inside, yet the Gates ring looks to go on the outside :S
    Last edited by Smallfurry; 11-16-2009 at 10:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Here is a set of polished Shimano LX cranks that I have used for a couble years on diferent SS bikes. They look and work just fine and you can get them relatively cheap. Just have to ocasionally polish with some "Mothers Polish" a few times a year, besides the initial hours of polishing .

Attachment 497941

mtbr member

Shimano XTR960

The Gates belt drive sprocket won't fit the XTR 960 if it's bcd is 104mm. The 960 is 146/102/64mm.

Tyrod, Those polished LX cranks look pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy8
    The Gates belt drive sprocket won't fit the XTR 960 if it's bcd is 104mm. The 960 is 146/102/64mm.

Tyrod, Those polished LX cranks look pretty good.
    I'd just assumed they were 104. TBH I'd kinda written it off due to the ring placement. I've seen a few other options that I like though.

The modified cranks on this and other MTBR threads look great.

Found yet another question (sorry). But is it a good idea to re-install the granny ring chainring bolts, after removal of the granny ring. For spider strength?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfurry
    But is it a good idea to re-install the granny ring chainring bolts, after removal of the granny ring. For spider strength?
    Completely unneeded.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Completely unneeded.
    I think it depends. If you run an old RF cranks, it maybe helpful to be aware of this, as I have seen/heard of this happening to multiple people:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...anny+broke+off

M960 has 2 granny holes penetrated, so in theory, they reduce the rigidity slightly. Plugging those 2 holes with steel bolts may give you some sense of security. That said, I haven't seen broken m960 as of yet

Shred...it's the new drug
    don't forget the profiles! best bmx/singlespeed cranks in the world. great product, easy set-up, super strong, easy to tweak chainline, all around killer crank, plus you can get them in all kinds of fancy colors and lengths

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    I think it depends....
    You're right, my mistake. I was speaking for Shimano cranks, where you really don't need to run the granny bolts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anyone with any tips for coating black. Would rattle can spraying be sufficent?
    Send them to Shawnee (crazy8) and have them ceramic coated black. It's pretty economical, and the finish is incredibly durable.

Also, despite the fact that the m970's are a bit fugly (IMHO), I may just try and get some if they come up for a similar price.
    The M970 cranks go for a lot more on eBay than the M960. The M960 can also be made lighter (by cutting off the big ring tabs) and has a better left arm attachment and bearing preload system. In my opinion they're also much better looking.

mtbr member
    i had ENOs, i sold them and got shimano SLX. they are stiff as hell. i use a surly ss ring with a surly ss cog.

mtbr member
    That RaceFace failure pic is the one I remember seeing.

My thoughts were that it depends on the crank design too. But I was'nt sure. The cheap deore cranks I have on the commuter certainly would'nt need them. But I remembered seeing pics of failed triples run as singles.

mtbr member
    Common? Dunno but I've been running these with zero problems in 180 length for over 2 years...

CoopsDad
    Oct 2005
    TyRod, That's a very cool set-up you have. Quick question for you, are you running any spacers on your BB? I am setting up a pair of XT's with a King BB and a EBB. I am not sure if I run 2 Drive Side and 1 Non-Drive. Thanks for your time!!

mtbr member
    Edit
    Last edited by crazy8; 01-05-2010 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    srescigno73 TyRod, That's a very cool set-up you have. Quick question for you, are you running any spacers on your BB? I am setting up a pair of XT's with a King BB and a EBB. I am not sure if I run 2 Drive Side and 1 Non-Drive. Thanks for your time!!
    Thanks! I'm not using any spacers at all. Good luck with your new project!

I like turtles
    I like my old-school square taper Race Face 5-bolt..bullet-proof.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Still waiting for one of my 3 ENO square taper cranks to round out. No movement yet. Solid, reliable, simple, and great looking!

mtbr member
    The ones that I have sitting in my parts bin.
    I use them for a while until I decide I want to upgrade. What the heck, they are free and might as well use them.
    just my .02

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo
    I like my old-school square taper Race Face 5-bolt..bullet-proof.
    I have a set of these too and like them just as much as my enos

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    im using a Sugino Impel 150x.
    i tried to convert it to a 1 ring deal but the allen key bolt holes are not close to being deep enough for allen wrench + i believe my crank arm threading is stripped as i cannot remove the drive side arm but the non drive-side crank arm comes off like a sinch....this sucks...but well ya

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the pointers.
    Went with a Shawnee number in the end (Aerozine), very glad that I did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Most Common SS MTB Crankset?-drivechain1.jpg  

Last edited by Smallfurry; 03-10-2010 at 12:41 AM.

master blaster
    XTR M952 cranks polished, homebrewed components chainwheel
    check out his blog if you like what you see.
    https://homebrewedcomponents.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    I've used Race Face Dues on my past couple of SS bikes, this time round it was their SS specific 32T with bash ring, very nice, stiff and looks cool too. I would like one of the XTR conversions on my next bike though, they looks great!

Turn off the TV
    How on earth do you round out a square taper crank? I have been using an old shimano for 21 years an it's still square, go figure. Use a crank that you can afford. Don't led to believe you need something special. If you can afford bling then go for it, otherwise just buy somthing at a swap meet and run it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SMT42
    How on earth do you round out a square taper crank?
    It's very easy. If you ride it once with the crank bolt slightly loose, the crank will loosen, and then the bore will start to round out. Once it starts to round out, it's only a matter of time until it's useless.

I'll say it again, pinching the arm onto the axle is a much better system then just a high torque bolt without any retention system.

mtbr member
    +1 on wi enos

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I rode square tapers as a DR for 9yrs and only rounded one out, that coz i mixed a crank bolt from a different BB when changing the old one( BBs used to fall apart in under a year so i wasnt going light on the machinery) and it bottomed out before the crank, but not so it was noticeable until the arm was scrap. That was just cheap suntour gear too. Still running the replacement arms 15yrs on no sign of trouble. So + Eno for my SS for the coming year.

mtbr member
    bad mechanic: After going from ISIS to Shimano Saint w/ Chris King BB and then to XTR M970 SS w Chris King BB, I went "forward", not "back" to square taper (Phil) and Middleburn UNO SS. The Middleburn RS7 crankset has been installed on two frames so far. It's perhaps the most svelte off the shelf system money can buy.

hallowedpoint: the modification will be clear if you take a look at the factory Shimano M960 crankset compared to the modified cranks posted in this thread.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

Jul 2006
    i dont know, the stigma of rounded out crank arms every month or so when i was younger ruined square taper for me. I dont think i could ever go back, mentally. However, my cross bike has a square taper sugino and it's been holding up so far. Might throw my stylo on it soon and throw the sugino on my SS commuter.

I should stop knocking square taper, i make more on my eno and middleburn rings than the 4 and 5 bolt stuff

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    ENO

mtbr member
    I run middleburn rs7 cranks . You can run a conventional chainring with spider setup or their UNO single splined chainring setup .

Members who have read this thread: 6