More travel, more smashing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

More travel, more smashing?

Hi all,

This past weekend I took my Honzo SS on The Hole in the Ground Loop near Tahoe:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/147...he-ground-loop

It gets relatively chunky with granite slabs on the climb and the flow sections and a series of step-downs on the descent. I rode with a 120mm Pike, and while it was fine, I did find myself slowing down as I approached the chunky stuff, so I'm wondering what I could do if I extended the Pike to 140. I don't anticipate the 140 causing a problem by slackening the seat tube angle since I'm not really climbing seated. And I'm excited about the potential for fewer pedal strikes, because I get a fair number of them if I'm not careful to ratchet on chunky stuff. But I wanted to see if there are other factors I'm not considering when changing the fork travel. The only downside I can think of is a change in reach. The Honzo's reach (510mm in XL) has been perfect for me when standing climbing and descending with a 50mm stem. I figure that if the reach shortens by 10 mm, I could try a 60mm stem, but that's easy to address.

I see many other trail-oriented SS rigs on this forum with 140mm forks. How do you folks like them as ride-everything bikes? Do you notice any downsides, or even just changes, compared to your shorter-travel SS setups?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

mtbr member
    I recently went from a 120mm Reba to a 140mm Fox 34. I honestly can't tell the big difference in travel, but the fork is much stiffer. I have parts to drop it to 130, which I'll probably do the next time I drop the lowers.

The Honzo has a pretty low BB, right? I would think the longer fork would be worthwhile just to get the pedals away from the ground a bit.

Wanna ride bikes?
    140mm on a Honzo ST would be awesome, no real drawbacks aside from being slightly slacker and longer wheelbase. You may need to make a small stem/spacer adjustment to maintain your handlebar position.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's worth a try, air shafts are cheap!

Another thing to consider is arm and core strength. 20 mm of travel only buys so much, especially on a hardtail. If you can stay in control of your mass on the bike you can go much faster.

Also practice!
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

WNC Native
    Honzo is much better on a 140mm fork than 120mm.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I have been on a Honzo St/ss with a pike 140 since Dec Ď16. About a perfect bike for me.

Out spokin'
    My '13 Honzo has been sporting a 160mm fork for the past 5 years or so.

My next hardtail (29x3" custom currently being built) will employ a 170mm fork if this tells you anything.

Don't fear the reaper.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    My next hardtail (29x3" custom currently being built) will employ a 170mm fork if this tells you anything.
    =sParty
    Jesus ****ing Christ. How high is the bb on the custom? Who is building it?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Jesus ****ing Christ. How high is the bb on the custom? Who is building it?
    Addiction Cycles. Titanium.

Did you know a custom framebuilder can make BB height whatever they want it to be?

Don't start with me again, umarth. It's been a long time but we've been down this road before. In fact I only recently ended my counseling sessions following those years. I'm asking nicely.
    =sParty

P.S. I'll tell ArchMarge. She & I still, you know, talk.
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Youíve all persuaded me to try going bigger with the fork...

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdwebber View Post
    Youíve all persuaded me to try going bigger with the fork...
    Well, what do you mean by that?

Don't get too carried away, keep in mind the people responding here may ride very different terrain than you. I'd set it up for what suits your local terrain.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Don't start with me again, umarth.
    Subscribed.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Addiction Cycles. Titanium.

Did you know a custom framebuilder can make BB height whatever they want it to be?

Don't start with me again, umarth. It's been a long time but we've been down this road before. In fact I only recently ended my counseling sessions following those years. I'm asking nicely.
    =sParty

P.S. I'll tell ArchMarge. She & I still, you know, talk.
    I was just asking because I know you like using 400mm cranks. But since you are going with titanium I'm guessing you went shorter so you don't crush the bb like a beer can.

Out spokin'
    I was just asking because I know you like using 400mm cranks. But since you are going with titanium I'm guessing you went shorter so you don't crush the bb like a beer can.
    Good memory. Iím kinda over the long cranks these days although my current singlespeed (Kona Honzo) is equipped with 185mm cranks. This new sled will be geared and employ 170mm cranks. I couldnít find any longer in 83mm spindle length. The frame will also sport a 157mm rear axle to accommodate the jumbo wheels. And a 190mm headtube. And a 210mm dropper. Some radical ideas went into the design; hope I like it.

All kidding aside, letís go riding sometime. Itís been too long.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Ovaries on the Outside
    Good memory. Iím kinda over the long cranks these days although my current singlespeed (Kona Honzo) is equipped with 185mm cranks. This new sled will be geared and employ 170mm cranks. I couldnít find any longer in 83mm spindle length. The frame will also sport a 157mm rear axle to accommodate the jumbo wheels. And a 190mm headtube. And a 210mm dropper. Some radical ideas went into the design; hope I like it.

All kidding aside, letís go riding sometime. Itís been too long.
    =sParty
    Nice, are you going to jump into 29+? I've been riding a Krampus for a couple years now (without that yucky suspension) and it is mostly perfect for our neck of the woods.

We can go riding just as soon as my ACL and meniscus aren't torn.

Out spokin'
    Nice, are you going to jump into 29+? I've been riding a Krampus for a couple years now (without that yucky suspension) and it is mostly perfect for our neck of the woods.
    Yes. Decided to close my eyes and fall backward into the arms of 29+ totally on trust. I've never even ridden one. But damn, I know I love big wheels. My FS sled sports 29x2.6" meats (WTB Vigilante front, Schwalbe Magic Mary rear) and I say with certainty these are the most trustworthy, confidence inspiring tires I've ever experienced. Just enjoyed a 5-ride weekend (4 of the 5 rides shuttled) which included 10,000' elevation loss and felt solidly in control 100% of the time. Very nice. Eager to try the 29x3" tarzan wheels.

P.S. Tried 27.5x3" wheels... just wished they were bigger around.

We can go riding just as soon as my ACL and meniscus aren't torn.
    Get them body parts of yours untorn and let's hit it, my friend. Maybe Sizzler can join? And Marge? Time to get the band back together.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Ovaries on the Outside
    Sounds like a sweet ride. I think you will love the 29+, just make sure you have a bigger rotor up front because the big wheels keep on turning, even when you don't want them to.