More thoughts on racing my ss- Mtbr.com
    VENI VEDI BIKI

More thoughts on racing my ss

I competed in a 12 hour night team endurance race this weekend. I lead with my rigid ss Jabber. My first lap I had my fastest lap time ever at the course..even with the running start. My second and third laps went well, but they were back-to-back....by the third lap, my legs were dead, and climbing was near impossible, and I stalled a few times. I lost arm strength to loft the front over large obstancles after my 3rd lap. I also realized that on steep, prolonged climbs, scooting back, bearing down, and pushing through the spin was more efficient and less tiring than standing and hammering.

I had to switch to my 26 1x9 hardtail for the fourth lap because I didn't have the legs for the climbs. I found the gears and suspension a much needed relief, but found my cardio suffered for it when climbing. I also had timing issues with braking and corners, and thought my riding was more inneficient...much more "stop and go" rather than flowy. However, my 4th lap time was the same as my 2nd and 3rd.

My conclusion is that if you are fresh, the singlespeed is by far more comfortable, more efficient, and a much more confident ride. However, there is no way of getting around the fact that once your legs are blown, they are blown. The fact I was able to get the same time on my old POS alum hardtail made me realize that eqipment is not as important as the engine.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I agree 100%. I have found that the key to racing is strategy and pacing. I love to drop guys as much as everyone else but you have to reign yourself in and save that energy for the end, where it really counts.

I personally like to start slow in the back and slowly increase effort picking off one rider at a time until im about halfway through and then peak in the last couple miles. It holds off the exhausted induced sloppy riding, silly mistakes, and the cramps too(god forbid)

Im talking from XC experience though. If I were to do endurance I would be in the lowest gear imaginable just slow cruisin
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

I like mud
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

I personally like to start slow in the back and slowly increase effort picking off one rider at a time until im about halfway through and then peak in the last couple miles. It holds off the exhausted induced sloppy riding, silly mistakes, and the cramps too(god forbid)

Im talking from XC experience though. If I were to do endurance I would be in the lowest gear imaginable just slow cruisin
    This is a very interesting approach. I've always believed that a good start is what you need but what it makes me do is hammer it too early on.

I think I'll try this strategy in my next long race or 12 hour race.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I wish I had the self control to do that. The endurance races I have done all start with a wicked climb at the beginning, which requires hammering up. At that point, I become like a cat in "obsessive attack mode" and just keep pushing. Once those endorphins get flowing, I find it hard to not go all in. But, of course, this means I blow up half way through and limp across the finish.