more fixed ?'s- Mtbr.com

Thread: more fixed ?'s

mtbr member
    May 2004

more fixed ?'s

Have any of you had luck in using a track cog w/BB lockring for off road use? Would this setup be durable enough for a while to try the fixed thing out? Secondly, does anyone know the cost of the Boone disc cog adaptor and or the availability and ordering info?Thanks alot

hispanic mechanic

On the first one...

Quote Originally Posted by midwesst
    Have any of you had luck in using a track cog w/BB lockring for off road use? Would this setup be durable enough for a while to try the fixed thing out?
    I had limited success with this set-up. It worked, but I ended up loosening the cog a couple of times slowing down. Some folks here have had luck using Loctite 242 (the blue stuff) on the threads, but I just went ahead and bit the bullet and sprung for a fixed/free flip-flop hub.
    Soooooo, I guess the short answer is a yes, with a but... sorry, any time I get the opportunity to quote Reverend Lovejoy I get a little excited.
    Anyway, it'll work, just be careful, and if I had it to do over again, I probably would've used Loctite. At least it'll give you an idea of whether or not you're gonna like fixed off-road.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Cracker-magnon
    Have any of you had luck in using a track cog w/BB lockring for off road use? Would this setup be durable enough for a while to try the fixed thing out? Secondly, does anyone know the cost of the Boone disc cog adaptor and or the availability and ordering info?Thanks alot
    I'm not sure on this one. My CrossCheck is set up this way, and I am concerned with it loosening under the higher torques even with the loctite. It holds up under skids ok w/ a 42:16 gearing though.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll try the cheap way 1st and then spring for a fixed/free hub later if I like fixed.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll try the cheap way 1st and then spring for a fixed/free hub later if I like fixed.
    Yea, I've met with mixed results myself. If your going to use a track cog and lockring, make sure you get a really good track cog. I had a pos track cog and and lockring on and it actually stripped my threads off my hub and just slid right off. Others have had better results than that though and it's definitely worth it to see if you like it. Use grease and loctite.

Once you decide to get a new hub, you might check out Level Components. It's easier to change out cogs and you don't ever have to worry about stripping the threads, big bonus.

The Boone DAC will vary in cost depending on how many teeth you want. Mine was a 17 tooth and it cost $47.50 (included shipping) I believe, maybe a few dollars less, can't remember off the top of my head. It's going to cost you the same as a regular cog ($2.50/tooth - ?).

DT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks for the link to Level components

That may be my next fixed gear hub. I like the design and philosophy.

As for track cog and BB ring, that's what I run, 32:16 mtb fixie and used RED locktite. Has never slipped. That same track cog stripped out the fixed gear side of a Van Dessel hub so now it is on the freewheel side locktited on and the BB ring is locktited on too. Sadly, the cog isn't as hard as a DX cog and so it showing quite a bit of wear. I'll probably have to toss the hub/cog assembly when the time comes to replace it.

bike ON

bob