Monocog vs. Monocog Flight- Mtbr.com
    Oz
    mtbr member

Monocog vs. Monocog Flight

If this question has been posted before, forgive me. I have searched the forums and not found much on my question. I am looking at buying either the Redline Monocog or the Monocog Flight and was wondering if the Flight is worth the extra money. I know the frame tubing is different, and the parts as well, but was wondering if there is a different feel to how the two bikes ride. I like the Flight better, but I'm not sure it is worth the extra $400. If anyone has any experience with these bikes I would appreciate your feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've rode em both, and a friend of mine has em both. (He bought by standard monocog from me a while back.) They are both the same size, both 29ers, and the flight is set up with gears. This is probably the primary difference, really---the flight is multispeed ready. Also, the geometry is a little different; at least between the ones I've ridden. The flight is a little closer to what the newer 29ers are like, whereas the standard one is a little more "old-school", as in, less compact. I sort of prefer the older one's geometry, but I'm probably in the minority here.

The other main difference is that the standard frame is considerably heavier and also noticeably stiffer than the flight version. I had assumed that the "nicer" steel would be stiffer, but it totally isn't. It isn't whippy, exactly; lighter ppl would probably prefer the flight's ride qualities. I'm a honkin fat guy at 250lbs, so I prefer the stiffer frame.

I feel i should note that the standard has canti-posts for v-brakes. I am one of the few remaining humans round my way that still appreciates v-brakes, so for me, that's a big plus. Most normal folks don't care for v-brakes, and find the posts to be unsightly. Still, score 1 for versatility.

Lastly, I should note that both of these bikes were built from bare framesets, so I'm just talking about the frame and geo, more so than the overall build of the completes. Looking at the redline site, seems like the flight has a considerably nicer parts spec, as it should, given the price disparity. However, both set-ups are begging for upgrades anyway, so perhaps saving the $400 bones with the standard would give you a head start in making some improvements?

hth

Oz
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, it helps. I was thinking of buying the Monocog and adding disc brakes which brings the two closer in cost, not $400, but closer. I guess the biggest consideration should be how the two frames rides differently.

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    I've rode em both...
    hth
    I couldn't care less about 29ers, but you get rep for such an informative post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've got both and would say they ride very different.

I've had the Monocog since in 2006 and rode it until I got the Flight (last year). The Monocog is a fun bike but rides like a tank, a heavy and harsh ride. You are fully aware of every rock or root under your wheels which is kinda cool but took its toll on my aging body.

The Flight is a lot softer ride but is still pretty stiff. Like the Monocog, you can still feel every obstacle you roll over but it's not as harsh.

I too prefer the geometry of the monocog over the flight but that's about the only thing. Haven't ridden the monocog since getting the flight and will only use it as a loaner or a backup.

Is it $400 better? I guess that depends on whether you plan to hold the bike for a while and eventually upgrade parts. If so, then I'd say yes. The Flight is a very capable frame that's worth upgrading to nicer components...the Monocog not so much. If you only plan on upgrading on brakes on the Monocog (and nothing on the Flight) then no.

btw: I'm around 200#'s and have upgraded almost every component on both bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I rode both and bought the Flight. The Monocog to me just felt too heavy and unresponsive. I upgraded the wheelset and tires and have been riding the Flight more than my geared bike.

HOV
    mtbr member
    The frame of the Flight is like dessert. Light, sweet, delicious. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No experience with the Flight, but I recently bought the Monocog for $520 and did what you were considering. Upgraded to BB7's and FR5 levers for $110 total from pricepoint, bringing my overall
    total to $630. Pretty sweet way to get in cheap to ss'ing yet with a great, bomb proof bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have an 07' flight and its def worth every penny. Nothing is stock on mine though but the wheels...
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the base Monocog. The only parts left on the frame from the factory build are the crank arms. Everything else broke within a year or so. The rear wheel never would stay true from the get go, it was the first to go. Then the chainring, then the fork, the bottom bracket, then that fork and the front wheel. I went to disk brakes mostly because it was easier to get a wheelset for them than for the V brakes. So I would spend the money on the Flight just in the hope that it has better components. I haven't had near the problems with any of my other bikes. (Cross Check, Tricross, old steel hardrock, and an ebay special track bike.)

Oz
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like the flight might be the way to go for me. Keep the feedback coming!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I rode and owned a Monocog 29er from '06-'10. I replaced it with the Monocog Flight 29er.

The Flight is by far a much better riding frame. The standard Mono does ride much like a tank, especially with the chromo rigid fork it comes spec'd with. I also liked getting away from the square taper BB that the Monocog is spec'd with. The Flight provides a much more versatile platform to upgrade to over time.

I say it is worth the price increase to get the Flight

Robtre
    I love Monocogs! I had an 08' I bought on clearance when I bought my GF RIG. Rig had nicer parts group and a Fox fork better wheels, probably 5 lbs lighter. I loved the Redline so much more! My monocog sold me on steel frames and I later sold it to get a Jabberwocky frame which is noodly and too flexy for my liking I want another Monocog. For $400 you can easily get better brakes, and just replace/upgrade parts as you wear them down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Haven't ridden the flight, but just picked up a 10 monocog. It was still sitting brand new in a shop. Got them to throw BB7's on there and walked out the door for $500. I love it so far, ridden about 10 times. It definitely is a tank but coming from a FS 26" I couldn't be happier.

Members who have read this thread: 4