Monocog sizing? - 17 vs 19- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Monocog sizing? - 17 vs 19

I'm sure this has been asked before, but, at the risk of redundancy, here goes. I'm looking to buy a Monocog, but can't decide which size is the better fit - 17" or 19". I'm about 6'0" and weigh in at 175. Inseam is 32". Currently I'm on a Giant NRS (18.5') and the geometry feels about right. Any helpful hints would be appreciated ....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Test ride a Monocog.

If that is not possible compare the seat tube angle and top tube length of your Giant to the Redline.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

In FTF We Trust

Shiggy

Shiggy:
    Maybe the wrong place, but do you know how the stems are speccing out on the monocog 29ers (i.e. lengths)? I'm torn between the 17 and 19 if the top tubes listed in their geometry table on their site is accurate (Emmit as SBS doesn't seem to know for sure) and the stem may be the deciding factor. Thanks.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    When in doubt go small.

Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Shiggy:
    Maybe the wrong place, but do you know how the stems are speccing out on the monocog 29ers (i.e. lengths)? I'm torn between the 17 and 19 if the top tubes listed in their geometry table on their site is accurate (Emmit as SBS doesn't seem to know for sure) and the stem may be the deciding factor. Thanks.
    No idea. I have not used the stock stem on any bike except my first one (steel bullmoose style).
    mtbtires.com

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    No idea. I have not used the stock stem on any bike except my first one (steel bullmoose style).
    The only issue with this bike is that all my extra junk laying around is standard 25.4 and the stem and bars on the 'cog is 31.8 so swapping stems is a bit harder.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lgp4
    I'm looking to buy a Monocog, but can't decide which size is the better fit - 17" or 19". I'm about 6'0" and weigh in at 175. Inseam is 32". .

I'm 5'10" or so. Last Saturday I rode the 17" and the 19" Monocog, and bought the 19". The 17" seemed like it had a very short top tube. My knee was within two inches of the stem while seated. The 19" is much better. I have plenty of standover clearance for my 32"-ish inseam, and I'm now fairly stretched out in the cockpit (but still not as much as on other bikes). I'd be extremely surprised if, at six feet tall, you'd be at all comfortable on the 17".

Warning: the saddle and the grips should be upgraded before leaving the shop!

In FTF We Trust
    Cool, thanks for the input. I'm looking at the Monocog 29ers, and it appears that they have longer top tubes than their 26" bretheren. The spec on the 17" shows an ETT of 23.7" and the 19" an ETT of 24.5". My 26" bikes all had 23.5" ETTs and stems in the 100-120mm range, but my custom 29er hardtail has an ETT of 24.5" and a 110mm stem. Admittedly, the bars are quite a bit higher on the Strong than my other bikes, and I'm running a Brooks saddle which, by nature, is further forward than any of the seats on my other bikes. It actually looks like the 19" Monocog 29er geometry will be extremely close to the geo. on my custom hardtail.

Recovering couch patato
    Don't you hate it when that happens? You design you dream custom bike and some cheap company copies it for their production model! When it happened to me I just also bought the Surly Cross-Check. It was probably around before I can up with my custom crosser's specs anyway :-)
    Do not risk requiring a 130mm stem on a 29"er, IMO they work a-ok with 80-120mm stems. It's a different ride altogether anyway, even if you end up with a slightly shorter stem than usual, you'll live, and have a hard time telling a difference.
    Replacing a stock stem with a better fitting model can't cost much more than $20, can it?

In FTF We Trust
    Cloxxi: good points, all. I dredged up the blueprint of my Strong frame and it's surprising how close the Redline is to it. The headtube is .5 degrees slacker and the seattube is 1 degree slacker, the chainstays are .5" longer, and that's about it (all compared to the 19" Redline). I'll probably go with the 19" pending confirmation that that geo. chart is correct and if need be, just swap on a shorter stem and Brooks saddle .

The slacker STA effectively shortens the top tube after you set the saddle in relation to the BB. The difference between 73 and 74 degrees is ~1/2".
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Cool, thanks for the input. I'm looking at the Monocog 29ers, and it appears that they have longer top tubes than their 26" bretheren. .
    Ah - didn't realize you were looking at 29ers. Disregard my comparison; you're right, the TT is longer on the 17" 29er than the 26" version.

Members who have read this thread: 0