Is the Monocog the poor man's Karate Monkey?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Is the Monocog the poor man's Karate Monkey?

I foolishly sold my 2008 Monocog when I got a Cross Check... and I miss the simple single speed thing.

I've been toying with the idea of a building up a Karate Monkey, but now that I look into the new KM frames it seems they are less versatile than the new Monocogs...

So, my question, is this bike REDLINE BICYCLES › MTB › 2012 MONOCOG 29ER worth upgrading/tinkering with?

My gut feeling is that it is, I just want to know if I am overlooking anything major.

beautiful jackass
    The Monocog has been a well respected budget bike for a very long time, back before 29ers were even a thing.

I'd get the Flight version over the vanilla Monocog, though[/url].

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey View Post
    The Monocog has been a well respected budget bike for a very long time, back before 29ers were even a thing.

I'd get the Flight version over the vanilla Monocog, though[/url].
    I've always felt like the flight was about $200 too much...I'm not sure I wan't discs right from the start, I'm one of those dorks who like MTB's more than I like MTB'ing... most of my riding would be on dirt/gravel roads. I'd probably switch to cyclocross tires and Jones bars

I don't know that I even needs disks.

mtbr member
    Yes it is for some, but a jewel to others. I like them Monocogs.

Robtre
    2010 I bought a GF Rig and the shop had a closeout 2009 Monocog (not flight) for $399 so I bought it too. Soon enough I wanted upgrades to the RIG so I transferred over the BB7 brakes and put an older REBA I had in the garage. Soon after that the RIG began collecting dust despite it was much lighter and had many better parts, and far lighter wheels. The Redline became my favorite bike ever and converted me to steel frame bikes. The dumba** that I am I sold both bikes on CL to get a better steel frame bike and I have since wanted another Redline. I will say this I am 6'4" 220lbs and I prefer a heavier bike. Monocogs are great and I hope to have another one one day. I have ridden a couple Karate Monkey 29ers and I feel that they are pretty similar in feel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    2010 I bought a GF Rig and the shop had a closeout 2009 Monocog (not flight) for $399 so I bought it too. Soon enough I wanted upgrades to the RIG so I transferred over the BB7 brakes and put an older REBA I had in the garage. Soon after that the RIG began collecting dust despite it was much lighter and had many better parts, and far lighter wheels. The Redline became my favorite bike ever and converted me to steel frame bikes. The dumba** that I am I sold both bikes on CL to get a better steel frame bike and I have since wanted another Redline. I will say this I am 6'4" 220lbs and I prefer a heavier bike. Monocogs are great and I hope to have another one one day. I have ridden a couple Karate Monkey 29ers and I feel that they are pretty similar in feel.
    I still hate myself for selling my 2008 Monocog, Loved it!

I really like Surly and the KM seems great, I just never understood why the stock build was the same price as the Cross Check. It seems like they should be able to offer a pretty good SS for under $1k.

I could be full of crap.

mtbr member
    I love the color on the Monocog Flight. Not sure why, I have a thing for that shade of green on a bike.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

SS Pusher Man
    Enjoyed my year on my '07 Turd Brown Monocog.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

Master of the Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Tiger View Post
    I foolishly sold my 2008 Monocog when I got a Cross Check... and I miss the simple single speed thing.

I've been toying with the idea of a building up a Karate Monkey, but now that I look into the new KM frames it seems they are less versatile than the new Monocogs...

So, my question, is this bike REDLINE BICYCLES › MTB › 2012 MONOCOG 29ER worth upgrading/tinkering with?

My gut feeling is that it is, I just want to know if I am overlooking anything major.
    The one thing you are overlooking is the Surly Ogre. same geo as the KM but has more versatility than even the older KM's. Surly streamlined the KM by removing the canti studs and using a better fork. the new ogre offers all tha plus a new rear drop out that can run just about any hub system including rohloffs.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The Ogre seems pretty badass...how does it ride unloaded?

Touring would be a rare activity for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have to admit, I miss my "base" monocog... but, the snob in me could never forgive it for those hideous drop-outs. Other than that, and the heaviness thing, it really is a well thought-out frame, if the geo works for you.

As i see it, you get a base monocog complete for a little more than a KM frameset; sure, much of the build is questionable, but with the money you save, you can buy upgrades as things break/you become more snobbish.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    I have to admit, I miss my "base" monocog... but, the snob in me could never forgive it for those hideous drop-outs. Other than that, and the heaviness thing, it really is a well thought-out frame, if the geo works for you.

As i see it, you get a base monocog complete for a little more than a KM frameset; sure, much of the build is questionable, but with the money you save, you can buy upgrades as things break/you become more snobbish.
    My thinking exactly.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anyone that I've ever known to get rid of their Monocog ended up regretting it and often times ended up getting another. I have a friend with a Superfly SS that he almost hates to ride (after going through 2 frames) and prefers his Monocog Flight for everything but race events.

I have a mono9 (basically a geared-only Flight) and love it to death.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Tiger View Post
    It seems like they should be able to offer a pretty good SS for under $1k.

I could be full of crap.
    When comparing frames only, Kona Unit is little more expensive than KM frame, and yet Unit is just under $1k. Even with KM's slightly better components in complete bike, I don't see why it would be over $1k. On the other hand, KM seems like a great idea to swap frames with, if you already have all the parts you need or a pre-existing bike.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    I enjoy my Monocog except for the dropouts... which I loathe. I want something with sliders now... unsure what.
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride

HOV
    mtbr member
    ^^ A Flight!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    The one thing you are overlooking is the Surly Ogre. same geo as the KM but has more versatility than even the older KM's. Surly streamlined the KM by removing the canti studs and using a better fork. the new ogre offers all tha plus a new rear drop out that can run just about any hub system including rohloffs.
    I ended up ordering a 22" Ogre frame.... maybe I'l build a single speed touring rig

Dinner for wolves
    The KM and the Cog will certainly ride and feel different. If it is the Cog you fell in love with, then why roll the dice. Buy another Cog, OP. Then you can spend the saved dough on upgraded wheels/tires when the time comes.
    Responds to gravity

Members who have read this thread: 1