monocog help!- Mtbr.com

Thread: monocog help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

monocog help!

now the drivetrain is not binding, at least not yet...but i noticed that the chain is rather tight. what is the best route to go, push the wheel in, adjust the chain tugs? this is my first single speed, so i'm not sure how tight it should be.

aside from that, this beauty climbs!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Loosen the tugs quite a bit. Loosen both axle nuts. Push the wheel back and tighten the drive side nut. Center the wheel and tighten the non-drive side nut. Your chain should be able to wiggle a little now. Tighten the chain tugs.

The tugs are they to prevent your axle from sliding forward as you ride, not for adjustment during assembly.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Loosen the tugs quite a bit. Loosen both axle nuts. Push the wheel back and tighten the drive side nut. Center the wheel and tighten the non-drive side nut. Your chain should be able to wiggle a little now. Tighten the chain tugs.

The tugs are they to prevent your axle from sliding forward as you ride, not for adjustment during assembly.
    Actually I do use the tugs to fine tune the chain adjustment and it works very well and MUCH easier than without using them.
    The axle nuts should be loose but not sloppy.
    Back off the lock nuts on the tugs.
    Use the bolt on the tugs to set the chain adjustment and center the wheel.
    Tighten the axle nuts.
    Make sure the tug bolts are tight then tighten the lock nuts.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

jason8265
    You will notice that the chain tension varies depending on the crank poisition. make sure you set the tension when the crank is in the position that makes the chain the tighest. You can actually run these with a little more slack than people think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'd have to agree with Shiggys post, the tugs make fine tuning and brake alignment much easier.

Am I getting too bulky?
    I've never taken a ruler to it, but I'd say that about a quarter inch of droop in the chain, when it's not under tension, is about right. In other words, when the chain is at at it's least slack point, as long as there's some slack, you'll be OK. As for using the tugs to set the tension, it's too easy to use them not to. Just set the axle nuts just tight enough to still allow the wheel to move in the track ends, back off the lock nuts on the tugs, and use the tug nut bolts to set the chain tension and center the wheel. Then lock down the axle nuts and then the lock nuts on the tugs. Piece of cake.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanks everybody!

i just mish mashed everyone's advice together, the hardest thing was finding my allen wrenches. before, i heard the chain literally going over each tooth. now, it's quiet and clean.

Am I getting too bulky?
    fugedabowdit
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Members who have read this thread: 0