Monocog frame woes- Mtbr.com
    burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009

Monocog frame woes

So I just finished my Monocog 29'er build (2009 frame). Went to put on the seatpost, and... it got stuck about 2" in. I got it unstuck, but still had issues, so I took it to the shop that I'd ordered it through. They've diagnosed it as a tubing imperfection - the tube isn't quite as big as it should be, and has a bulge (on the inside) where the post was getting stuck. They're calling Redline to see what they say about it tomorrow.

Anyone else have a similar experience or issues w/ Redline frames? Did I just get the one bad frame?

I've thought about asking the shop to ream it out too - but I'm guessing that might void warranty?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Never had that issue...

But I've dealt with Redline customer service and they've always taken care of any problems fairly and quickly....

mtbr member
    Are you using a 26.8mm seatpost?

thread killer
    Did you try another post?
    Wurth a shot.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Are you using a 26.8mm seatpost?
    No.

Which was the entire problem. Apparently I'd gotten the wrong spec (from where, I'm not sure) and thought it was 27.2. I thought something like having the wrong tube size would be immediately evident, but apparently the top of the seat tube by the clamp is wider than the tube below intentionally - one of the guys at the LBS (who wasn't there when I first brought it in) said it's so you can put a "normal" sized clamp on it.

So... all I have to say about that is that I wish I'd ordered the right size seatpost... and that I wish Redline included a spec sheet with the frame! I guess maybe they're used to intelligent people using their frames though :P

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes...0-monocog-29er

Seat Post Redline Alloy 26.8 x 350mm

Sucks that they just spell it out for you right on the web site.

The Monocog Flight is 27.2 however.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes...0-monocog-29er

Seat Post Redline Alloy 26.8 x 350mm

Sucks that they just spell it out for you right on the web site.

The Monocog Flight is 27.2 however.
    Thanks man... <eyeroll>

I bought it as frame-only... and THOUGHT I'd checked the site to verify the size. Obviously not...

I take comfort in the fact that I had 4 shop employees confused as well though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burnedthetoast
    Thanks man... <eyeroll>

I bought it as frame-only... and THOUGHT I'd checked the site to verify the size. Obviously not...

I take comfort in the fact that I had 4 shop employees confused as well though!
    New "go to" shop perhaps?
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    all I wanna know is, was a hammer involved in the getting it stuck part?

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispanosc
    all I wanna know is, was a hammer involved in the getting it stuck part?
    No. Fortunately, I have better sense than that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    No. Fortunately, I have better sense than that.
    you lucked out then, hopefully the right sized post will still work

mtbr member
    No.

Which was the entire problem. Apparently I'd gotten the wrong spec (from where, I'm not sure) and thought it was 27.2. I thought something like having the wrong tube size would be immediately evident, but apparently the top of the seat tube by the clamp is wider than the tube below intentionally - one of the guys at the LBS (who wasn't there when I first brought it in) said it's so you can put a "normal" sized clamp on it.
    With all due respect, the guy at the shop is talking crap (like they sometimes do...)

If the seatube is sized to accept a 26.8mm post then it should be this ID at the top.
    There will probably be external butting - in other words the OD will probably be 29.8mm at the top (so you can use a 30mm clamp - mainly though for greater strength in the stressed area) and then reduce to 28.6mm after about 125mm or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    With all due respect, the guy at the shop is talking crap (like they sometimes do...)

If the seatube is sized to accept a 26.8mm post then it should be this ID at the top.
    There will probably be external butting - in other words the OD will probably be 29.8mm at the top (so you can use a 30mm clamp - mainly though for greater strength in the stressed area) and then reduce to 28.6mm after about 125mm or so.
    That explanation does sound like a misunderstanding of ID vs. OD.

Anyway, the difference between a 27.2mm post and a 26.8mm tube is only 1/64" so it sounds likely to me that the slot at the top of the seattube allows that top area to flew enough to take the bigger post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    That explanation does sound like a misunderstanding of ID vs. OD.

Anyway, the difference between a 27.2mm post and a 26.8mm tube is only 1/64" so it sounds likely to me that the slot at the top of the seattube allows that top area to flew enough to take the bigger post
    Yes, I'd go along with that

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    @ Andy - To give the guys some credit, they put calipers in and at the top of the tube the ID was 27.1mm. I suppose it could've stretched a bit when I put the post in - but I'd think not since I didn't have to force it to get it in that part of the tube.

Also, when I put my finger in the tube, about 1.5-2" down I can feel a ridge of sorts - and I think that's where the tube narrows down a bit. Does that make any sense?

mtbr member
    @ Andy - To give the guys some credit, they put calipers in and at the top of the tube the ID was 27.1mm. I suppose it could've stretched a bit when I put the post in - but I'd think not since I didn't have to force it to get it in that part of the tube.

Also, when I put my finger in the tube, about 1.5-2" down I can feel a ridge of sorts - and I think that's where the tube narrows down a bit. Does that make any sense?
    Hmmm - Where you can feel the ridge in the tube, will a 26.8mm post go in past that point?
    It all sounds like sloppy frame prep to me, as the inside of the seatube shouldn't reduce at any point and certainly not 2" down. (although the ID might increase if the tube is internally butted - there should still be sufficient length of the nominal size for seatpost support).

I hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction anyway

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    Hmmm - Where you can feel the ridge in the tube, will a 26.8mm post go in past that point?
    It all sounds like sloppy frame prep to me, as the inside of the seatube shouldn't reduce at any point and certainly not 2" down. (although the ID might increase if the tube is internally butted - there should still be sufficient length of the nominal size for seatpost support).

I hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction anyway
    Ordering a 26.8 post, we'll see. Hopefully it works and all will be well. I just wanna ride this thing!

Ovaries on the Outside
    26.8 is an odd size choice. Anyway, when you are actually out and riding I'm sure you won't mind too much. Redline makes a really superb bike.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    26.8 is not that odd. Used to be much more common a few years ago. One poster recommend trying a larger post size thinking it should be OK. Cramming in a larger post is a sure way to get things to crack and fail in the seat tube/stay area down the road. Same goes for using a smaller seat post without a proper shim.

Members who have read this thread: 0