Monocog Flight brake rotors- Mtbr.com
    My spoon is too big!

Monocog Flight brake rotors

Does anyone know if there is a max. size for the brake rotor on the stock MC Flight fork? I want to run a BB7, 180mm, but don't want to destroy my fork. I currently have the stock BB5, 160mm, it's just not enough. What are the rest of you running?

Redline c/s was of no help on the issue.

Thanks.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Life is Go0d!
    I am putting a 203mm on mine... I cant see why it would be a problem at all... the fork will flex more, but its steel... it will be ok. I need the extra bite up front, for control on the tech stuff. Control is good.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    I've ridden many miles on a Flight fork, albeit with a 160mm rotor. But I am familiar with the fork - I think you'd be fine with a 180/185mm rotor. 203mm might be fine, especially under normal rigid riding conditions, but I'd be a little leery of 203mm if you're some sort of nutjob that's riding absolutely ridiculous stuff on that rigid and putting serious stresses on the fork/brake.

Another consideration: If you are swapping out your BB5's for BB7's, that change alone will increase your braking power. You might try the BB7's with a 160mm first to see if that meets your needs, and if not, then move up to a 185mm.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

I H8 cigarettes...
    I have a 203mm rotor on my rigid steel fork... I love it. At 205 #'s I wanted the extra leverage from the bigger rotor, especially with the 29er wheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monocog Flight brake rotors-203mm-hayes-gram-front.jpg  

One is enough...

My spoon is too big!
    Thanks for the answers, guys. I know that 160's just aren't enough for where I ride. I have a 185 on the front of my other bike, and sometimes it's barely adequate.

My concern with the MC fork is how much it flexes, even with the small rotor. I ride fast and technical trails, and I like to be able to scrub a lot of speed quickly. I don't want to have the fork snap going into a rock garden.

If no one else has had trouble, I'll stop worrying so much about it.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Members who have read this thread: 0