Monocog 29er bottom bracket?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Monocog 29er bottom bracket?

Thanks to all for the inspiration/advice on single-speeding. After a couple of months of riding an old conversion, I have a monocog 29er frame on the way. I searched the forums and this issue has been covered, but I had a hard time figuring out what the final solutions were. So, has anyone replaced the BB on their monocog? What did you use? I don't have a crankset yet; thought I'd determine what I can use for the BB before ordering the cranks. Thanks!

wot no bike?
    The stock BB spindle is 110.5 mm, I've had a 111mm in there with the stock wheel set-up and the chainline was good, both with the stock cranks and White Industries ENO cranks. I'm about to replace the (now deceased) 111mm with a 110mm that just showed up in the mail today.
    pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Square taper?

Is there any need to stick with a square taper? I assume as long as the chainline and frame clearance are OK, it's good to use something else.

wot no bike?
    No need to use square taper, although once you decide on a set of cranks you should either post here to see what spindle length others are using on their Monocog with that crank, or contact the maker of the cranks and ask them what BB spindle length you need for the RLMC29er's cog offset. I don't know what the offset was with the stock hub so you'd have to measure...
    Last edited by pahearn; 12-17-2007 at 11:44 AM.
    pete

You know, for kids
    I'm 250lbs and got about 500 miles out of my bottom bracket and it could've gone longer but I replaced it before it got too bad. The BB I pulled out is still usable just feels a bit nasty.

FMF Powerstroke ISIS cranks, 34T FMF chainring, and SKF BFR-300 roller bearing ISIS bottom bracket. I had to use a 118mm spindle because of the chainring/spider interface on the FMF cranks. I needed the few extra millimeters for the chainring to clear the chainstays

Members who have read this thread: 0