Mongoose BB size?- Mtbr.com
    Gumby
    Apr 2005

Mongoose BB size?

I've converted my old Mongoose DX into a single speed, but there are some nasty creaking sounds coming from the bb, and it also wobbles a bit. I am looking to replace the bb, cranks, and pedals. Does anybody know the size of mongoose bb's? Its from 1999, square taper, has some cheap shimano cranks I believe, if that helps. I would like to buy all the parts online since it might be cheaper than going to the shop, but I might have to go to the shop anyway to find out the sizes. Also, it would be nice to have a bb that could fit into a newer frame when I decide to upgrade

mtbr member
    May 2004

Options...

Do you have the tools to remove the crank arms and the bottom bracket? If so, just pull the cranks and bb and the size should be printed on the bb.

If that is not an option, you might try the Vintage forum. Someone there might be able to tell you.

Also I have had luck doing a search on Google to find some info on an old Specalized that I have. It took about a hundred or two different keyword combinations, but it worked. Maybe that would work.

If all else fails, just take it to the shop and have them remove it for you. They shouldn't charge too much. Just because the remove it doesn't mean you have to have one installed right then and there. Once you find out the size do some looking around for a replacement. Then install it yourself or take it back to the shop and have them install it. All though you didn't buy it from them, they are getting some business from the labor cost of putting it in.

Just my .02

Dirt Donkey

mtbr member
    That's funny, my mongoose DX frame creaks around the BB as well, no matter how healthy the BB in question is. It's a 68mm shell if that's what you mean, and the stays are fairly narrow so you could go down to a 110mm or less spindle width for SS applications. Mine's on its way now. All I need are spokes for the rear wheel !

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomacropod
    That's funny, my mongoose DX frame creaks around the BB as well, no matter how healthy the BB in question is. It's a 68mm shell if that's what you mean, and the stays are fairly narrow so you could go down to a 110mm or less spindle width for SS applications. Mine's on its way now. All I need are spokes for the rear wheel !

- Joel
    spindle length is more dependent on the crank, rather than the frame, so go with whatever length recommended for the particular crankset. Yes, you can get away w/ narrower spindle for the SS application and install the ring on the outside for more clearance, if needed (assuming no bashring).
    If the cranks are still functional, I'd start with a new BB (~$20 at the LBS). The shimano BB that's likely on it is probably toast if you've been riding it while 'wobbly'. Install a new one and you're good to go for quite a while.
    I'm still using a few sets of 5-arm square taper cranks (old XT, XTR & raceface) w/ a variety of BB's (wtb, real, shimano), you can get SS rings for 'em pretty cheap still.
    If you're set on getting some new cranks (& BB), great bang for the buck are LX.

As for the creak, use some anti-sieze w/ a few wraps of teflon tape around the BB cups during the install (making sure the threads on everything are very clean).
    good luck!
    Serge

Gumby
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for all the good advice. I don't have the tools here at school, so Im going to the lbs as soon as I get a break from classes. I guess I don't really need new cranks, I can just spend that money on something else Thanks for the measurement on the BB, that means I can upgrade to the zion ebb frame later when I have more money. But for now the bike is just another college campus cruiser

mtbr member
    teflon tape, good idea I'll try that too. I've got a 113mm BB w/raceface LPs and a 34t ring in its normal position and have plenty of space everywhere to go narrower. No real reason to though.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.