Money No Object What Cranks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Money No Object What Cranks

Building the new niner......need cranks. What would you buy right now and why.
    With money being new object.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    White Industries ENO with a Boone ring and Phil Wood BB.

(If I did not need longer than 180mm)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howiefeltersnatch
    I'd get 185mm Zinn's. They look great too. I had a set of 195's that proved to be too long for me. Too bad...

http://www.zinncycles.com/cranks.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    White Industries ENO with a Boone ring and Phil Wood BB.

(If I did not need longer than 180mm)
    Yours would be my #2 choice, in 180mm.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Tune?

Not sure where to score these in the US, but they are, IMHO, the best looking cranks around. I would use a boone ti ring as well, with the Phil Wood bb. Saw them on a post here a while back. I have no further info on them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Whoa, $377 for a crankset. That's a lot of pocket change, even for custom. That's 70% of what I paid for my whole, brand new, SS rig.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

XTR w/ Jericho bash guard

I think a set of XTR cranks with the Jericho bash guard is a slick set up. If you can run a 34 tooth ring this is a really stiff set of cranks. I also like the look of Jeff Jones XTR cranks after the spider is machined and polished.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    Not sure where to score these in the US, but they are, IMHO, the best looking cranks around. I would use a boone ti ring as well, with the Phil Wood bb. Saw them on a post here a while back. I have no further info on them!
    Whoa, hot damn! I need those Tunes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    lx outboard bearing cranks... spend the rest on crack & hookers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They make a pretty cool line of parts. Here's a link to an article from the UK publication Singletrack that describes their line http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1564

Here's Tunes website in english http://www.tune.de/tune_gb/index.php...ne=0&nr=0&new=

MTBR has reviews on Tune products. Alchemy Bicycle Works out of Santa Fe is the US distributor.

Out spokin'

I second Nat's recommendation...

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I'd get 185mm Zinn's. They look great too. I had a set of 195's that proved to be too long for me. Too bad...
    ...except I'd go for the 195mm's (cuz they fit me). Dang it, Nat, I wanted to buy those 195's from you.

Obviously go with whichever length fits your very own bod best.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would go with Middleburn's squared w/ a Phil Wood BB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by audiobomber
    I would go with Middleburn's squared w/ a Phil Wood BB.
    ditto. and that's what i'm getting.

The Top Cap Guy
    I went with the XTR M960 cranks and a Jericho ring and bash. Mine aren't as pretty currently as some as these other shiny pieces but I love them. Heard Phil came out with bearing for these also... I'm still on the original set - but its good to know.

Hope this helps
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    ...except I'd go for the 195mm's (cuz they fit me). Dang it, Nat, I wanted to buy those 195's from you.
    I didn't forget. You were #2 in line to get them if didn't like them, however #1 in line traded a pair of 185mm Specialites TA Carminas that I now use on the Rig. Sorry man!.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Whoa, hot damn! I need those Tunes!
    You're not the only one. I clicked on this thread just to recommend those.

Tune website

You can order them here for about $240-245 + shipping.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I’d agree with the White/Boone/Phil setup previously recommended.
    Padre’s new setup posted recently was pretty cool.

If your willing to wait I’m sure Boone would make you a ring to fit these, it would be my choice for other worldly expensive and cool:

those are Rollercams...
    Those Tunes look like Toplines(first generation Grafton Joystix) which were pretty but flimsy. Not to say the Tunes aren't well made because I know nothing about them.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Middleburn RS7 Uno (180max)
    SKF ISIS 600 BB

Espen

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

D@mn you Endomaniac!!!

- I had almost forgot about those, now I've got some upgrading to do on the roadbike too!

Back on topic : Pretty much everything on this threads list of Cranks/Rings/BB's is the cat's arse! AND they're all functional! Whoda thunk?

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I searched high and low for these. Magic downhill cranks with a 32 salsa. There is a pair on ebay now just like them. Awesome

my knees hurt
    I love my XTR M952's with Boone 32 tooth ring....

Devolution is real!
    Coda Magic cranks are crazy light. I wish they still produced them, they where whey before their time.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty happy with my Race Face Atlas cranks and a Blackspire Downhill chainring. Initial setup was kind of a pin, but once I figured out my spacers everything's cool. External bearings are the way to go IMO, Idon't worry about ruining BBs anymore.
    _
    _
    Beware the man who has just one gear. He may know how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    - I had almost forgot about those, now I've got some upgrading to do on the roadbike too!

Back on topic : Pretty much everything on this threads list of Cranks/Rings/BB's is the cat's arse! AND they're all functional! Whoda thunk?
    You're ready to drop $850 on a crankset?
    Wanna trade jobs?

Cyclist

I chose Profile

couple years back, I searched for the top crank I could find but also the strongest setup since I was ripping BB's in half and snapping crank arms. This same message board reccomended Profile 3 pc.

Insanely stiff and good selection in lengths. I run 182.5. I love these cranks. Easy to work on, you can repack the bearings and just super tough. I might spring for a ti axle to bring the weight down.

cool thread.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

el cheapo
    Aug 2005
    while we are on the subject of BMX cranks, if you want to get burlier than those Profile cranks (which have a 19mm spindle and will break if pushed far enough) you should look into Primo Powerbites. I have them in 180mm and I know they are available in other sizes. You can get the arms hollow or solid, you can get aluminum, steel, or ti 22mm hollow or solid spindles, ti hardware, etc etc. Can't forget to mention that you also get to use bmx sprockets which are available in all sizes from 22T to 53T that I am aware of, the gearing possibilities are endless. I am sure they'll never be as light as a a carbon composite futuristic space cadet set of cranks but I don't care. Set it and forget it, my last crankset for this bike, EVER
    I am CHEAP

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

agree with wtbrider. those look nearly exact copies of old topline cranks. nice and light, but the pair i had where too light/flexy for me to have been comfy running them on a SS or fixie.

never had any problems or breakage with them, but they were about 360gms. for the crank without bolts/rings. and very skpindly/flexy. sure were pretty though....
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member

Recycled XTR

XTR cranks (I like to recycle old parts instead of buying new).

However, if I need a new crank, I'd go with new XT (outboard bearings) even if money was "no object".

gentle like
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    However, if I need a new crank, I'd go with new XT (outboard bearings) even if money was "no object".
    I love my XT outboards.

Less sexy than the Race Faces I'd been dreaming of, but I like the Shimano setup better.

And they came up on sale. All things considered, they are my dream crank. It's fun to actually have them.

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCordell
    while we are on the subject of BMX cranks, if you want to get burlier than those Profile cranks (which have a 19mm spindle and will break if pushed far enough) you should look into Primo Powerbites. I have them in 180mm and I know they are available in other sizes. You can get the arms hollow or solid, you can get aluminum, steel, or ti 22mm hollow or solid spindles, ti hardware, etc etc. Can't forget to mention that you also get to use bmx sprockets which are available in all sizes from 22T to 53T that I am aware of, the gearing possibilities are endless. I am sure they'll never be as light as a a carbon composite futuristic space cadet set of cranks but I don't care. Set it and forget it, my last crankset for this bike, EVER
    They may be the last crank arms, spindle, and cups you ever buy, but the bearings are notoriously weak. In an American sized BB the 22mm OD spindle is fine, but in the Euro size of most MTB's the 22mm OD spindle causes the bearings to be too small and rough riding will cause you to crush the bearings or the dent the race and you get some serious binding. My experience is backed up by numerous claims on other BMX forums. I'm a big fan of the AC components Lo Pro XT arms and a Phil Wood BB, but of course that is just an opinion.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Middleburn. Integrated ring & spider, square or ISIS mounting and 175 or 180 length. Anf they look damn cool.
    Last edited by Rivet; 01-26-2006 at 08:47 AM.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Peace & Love
    I think that if you don't need a bashguard, the sweet setup is indeed the ENO w/ Phil Wood (Ti or steel bottom bracket).

However, at times I wish I had a bashguard and as such, wish I had these FSA cranks which are on my geared bike on the single speed with a bashguard. FSA external bearings are very impressive and I am a huge fan of these cranks....but they aint cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    couple years back, I searched for the top crank I could find but also the strongest setup since I was ripping BB's in half and snapping crank arms. This same message board reccomended Profile 3 pc.

Insanely stiff and good selection in lengths. I run 182.5. I love these cranks. Easy to work on, you can repack the bearings and just super tough. I might spring for a ti axle to bring the weight down.

cool thread.

I love my Profile cranks. I use 182, 185 and 190mm arms.

I hate the BB though. The lack of an adjustable cup makes them nearly impossible to setup correctly which leads to short bearing life.
    I use the FSA X-Drive euro BB which does have an adjustable cup. The Gusset Pigmy BB looks even better with two spacer tubes to greatly reduce side loads on the bearings.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCordell
    ...(which have a 19mm spindle and will break if pushed far enough)...
    Anything will break if you push it far enough. Very few mtbers are going to have issues with a 19mm spindle which are much stronger than most "regular" square taper or ISIS spindles.

I will not use a 22mm spindle because of the tiny bearings required. I have enough problems with the bearings used for a 19mm spindle.
    mtbtires.com

hands up who wants to die
    Probably the new Hones with steel pedal inserts. Replace the chainring with a Surly or Salsa/Blackspire and an E.13 bash.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Havent you guys seen the SKF ISIS BB??

These have been available a couple of monts in europe now, and looks wery promising.

2 year warranty, no questions asked. They said the BB will last a long time even in rought conditions.

The top models veight in at 285g.

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/p...191006&lang=en

Espen

ogarajef@luther.edu

Those are amazing, does anyone know who owns that pair?
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

ogarajef@luther.edu
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Anything will break if you push it far enough. Very few mtbers are going to have issues with a 19mm spindle which are much stronger than most "regular" square taper or ISIS spindles.

I will not use a 22mm spindle because of the tiny bearings required. I have enough problems with the bearings used for a 19mm spindle.
    I'll put myself in the 'very few' category. I've been running my euro profile setup for 2.5 years. I've had my bearings start to squeel twice in that time. I took everything apart, cleaned it, repacked PW grease into the bearings. Seems to be holding up very, very well for me. I haven't faced any issues regarding adjustability either.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member

Anyone running an SKF BB?

I remember reading about the SKF BBs a few months ago, but have not seen anything recently. Is anyone here running one, and if so, what model and how has it held up? They seem to have a very extensive range of both ISIS and square taper, might be worth a try!

Mark

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

eno cranks

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I think that if you don't need a bashguard, the sweet setup is indeed the ENO w/ Phil Wood (Ti or steel bottom bracket).

However, at times I wish I had a bashguard and as such, wish I had these FSA cranks which are on my geared bike on the single speed with a bashguard. FSA external bearings are very impressive and I am a huge fan of these cranks....but they aint cheap.
    I'm in the market for cranks too. I'm thinking about ENO. I like the idea of no chainring bolts with the spiderless setup. Are those chainrings pretty strong? Have you ever bent one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

JJ XTR's

Jeff Jones modified XTR's 180mm with Phil Wood bearings in place of stock XTR's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

cook bros old or new

im a big fan of my cooks, due to the light weight and styling. pretty darn flexy though!

hands up who wants to die
    2Tall:
    Thanks! Those JJ cranks aren't my thing, but this is the first i've heard of the Phil-retrofit outboard bearing cups. I'm emailing them right now. I love Phil stuff, and I'm glad they're offering this product for contemporary crank systems.

love it love it love it.

-rob
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    FWIW we just weighted a set of Middleburn 180mm Uno cranks with 1/8" 32t ring and ISIS style and they were about 30 grams lighter than the ENO 180mm with their 32t ring. Also with the Middleburn's you can get square taper or ISIS versions which is cool but I think the ENO's are better looking.

dusty paw tracks

i like mine, but...

i was in a similar situation couple years ago... "money no object" and got these. i like them, but today would opt for ENOs with Phil and Boone.

i need to get rid of this bash guard. these are great cranks though. but only come in 175mm. stiff.

mtbr member
    More than likely it will be the ENO's. But I really like a black crank arms and silver ring set up with no bash guard. Also...do most go with 32 or 34? I ride mostly flat ground.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Ran this for awhile...Storck and Boone.

mtbr member
    only thing that concerns me is lack of servicablility. (regarding the SKF)

Out spokin'

SKF roller/ball bearings

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    I remember reading about the SKF BBs a few months ago, but have not seen anything recently. Is anyone here running one, and if so, what model and how has it held up? They seem to have a very extensive range of both ISIS and square taper, might be worth a try!

Mark

Personally, I'm a square taper guy.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uno-speedo
    Ran this for awhile...Storck and Boone.
    I like that look. Were can you pick up that crank?

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    only thing that concerns me is lack of servicablility. (regarding the SKF)
    Yeah, to me cartridge BBs (Shimano type, not Phil Wood) were a design looking for a problem - and they created it (not serviceable). Sure made it easy for the shops to replace though.
    mtbtires.com

banned
    Another vote for Profiles.

I have 2 sets. One of them is 175mm, one is 170mm. Going to put the 170's on my new frame when it comes. I weigh around 200... and I raced BMX on a Ti Spindle for 3-4 years. That's around 6 frames.

Never broken. I can't wait for the new frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0