Modern xc geo hardtail for singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Modern xc geo hardtail for singlespeed

Looking for a singlespeedable 29er hardtail with modern geometry. Will do some xc/endurance racing.

Will run a 120mm fork. ~69 degree HTA would be ideal, chainstays on the short end, reach on the long end, seat tube angle on the steep end. $3000 budget, $2000 would be a lot better. So far I've considered:

Santa Cruz Highball alloy - a little heavy, a little steep
    Santa Cruz Chameleon - a little heavy, a little slack
    Giant XTC advanced - funky geometry with super short reach
    Niner AIR9 RDO - expensive
    Pivot LES - dream bike at the moment, expensive

What am I missing? What should I get? What do you ride?

EDIT: Adding to list:
    Jamis Dragonslayer
    Kona Big Unit
    Spot Rocker
    Last edited by pcro; 03-22-2017 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    The singlespeed forum might be more helpful in this regard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Trek Superfly ss - but only 100mm fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the tip, this could fit a couple places and I'm an infrequent MTBR visitor

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    True. Not available for 2017 though, but should be some used ones on the market

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of upgrading my 8 year old Kona SS.

Highball seems like a great frame but you have to run a tensioner. Chamelion (new) looks great if you don't mind aluminum. Giant has a carbon frame and decent spec for the money, but not sure if B+ is the best wheel for SS?

Pivot would be my dream bike - carbon frame, great geometry, SS dropouts, 29er hoops, short stays. Seems to check all the boxes - but yes Expen$ive!!!

Downcountry AF
    +1 SS forum would be a better place for this. (if you want to have it moved, click the little triangle in the lower left hand corner of your original post and ask the mods to move it for you)

Hona Honzo AL comes pretty close.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcro View Post
    Looking for a singlespeedable 29er hardtail with modern geometry. Will do some xc/endurance racing.

Will run a 120mm fork. ~69 degree HTA would be ideal, chainstays on the short end, reach on the long end, seat tube angle on the steep end. $3000 budget, $2000 would be a lot better. So far I've considered:

Santa Cruz Highball alloy - a little heavy, a little steep
    Santa Cruz Chameleon - a little heavy, a little slack
    Giant XTC advanced - funky geometry with super short reach
    Niner AIR9 RDO - expensive
    Pivot LES - dream bike at the moment, expensive

Vassagocycles

I have a Mooseknuckle, which has the geo you are looking for
    It is boost, was made for a 120mm fork ideally. can run 29+ tires or 29er
    Bike is AWESOME
    Too Many .

Rides all the bikes!
    My current plan is to convert my F-Si to SS in a few years (as I am not likely to replace it and hope not to break it). But sticking with the stock travel fork (swapping in the carbon Lefty when I can). The fork (Lefty PBR) is so good it feels better then my 130mm MRP!

It is my XCO/XCE bike. Several 80+ mile 12 hour races.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pcro View Post
    Jamis Dragonslayer. Either buy the frameset and build it up, or buy the complete and sell off the gears, etc and buy SS parts, save some money in the offset of funds. Sliding dropouts on this one.

Bonus, you don't need to keep, let alone run the chubby tires, just go skinny or swap around wheelsets and go full xc-mode. Basically get rid of the 650B+ wheelset and tires and put on a nice pair of 29er xc hoops or even swap to a lightweight XC-specific 650B wheelset and 2.2" or less sized tires. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    swap around wheelsets and go full xc-mode. Basically get rid of the 650B+ wheelset and tires and put on a nice pair of 29er xc hoops or even swap to a lightweight XC-specific 650B wheelset and 2.2" or less sized tires. Just a thought.
    Adding the Dragonslayer to the list! This is exactly the type of thing I'm thinking. Leaning towards the Chameleon at the moment, but building it up on the 29" racy side with something like Crest mk3's and maxxis Ikons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Jamis doesn't sell the Dragonslayer as a frameset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Vassago Verhauen. 69.5 HTA with a 120mm fork, longish reach, respectable chainstay length at 435 and a killer steel tubing spec. And the price is right. I have one and love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedlin' Slow View Post
    Vassago Verhauen. 69.5 HTA with a 120mm fork, longish reach, respectable chainstay length at 435 and a killer steel tubing spec. And the price is right. I have one and love it.
    The Verhauen looks pretty ideal actually - reading through some other forums is it true that a slightly updated version is due out any day? It really is a good price for what it is.

Downcountry AF
    I would own one of these if they made a XL frame!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I would own one of these if they made a XL frame!

This. Are you reading this Vassago?
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    This. Are you reading this Vassago?
    I tried that already. i contacted the guy and even asked about custom frames. no dice. no plans to offer XL any time soon.

guess custom frame builders have a few more customers to keep them busy.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Looking at those numbers, I'd be considering a Honzo.

I'm riding a Wozo (fat Honzo) with plus wheels, and it's stupendous. Waaaay too much fun to be having on a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Looking at those numbers, I'd be considering a Honzo.

I'm riding a Wozo (fat Honzo) with plus wheels, and it's stupendous. Waaaay too much fun to be having on a bike.
    The OP wants a xc/endurance rig, which the Honzo is not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It is due any day, although the price will probably be 300-400 more than last year's model. More tube bending, different tubing, etc. Although you will get Boost spacing and slightly shorter chain stays from what I hear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    On-One Parkwood hits most of those points. I have mine geared but I think it would make a great ss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It is due any day, although the price will probably be 300-400 more than last year's model. More tube bending, different tubing, etc. Although you will get Boost spacing and slightly shorter chain stays from what I hear.
    Rad. Pretty sure this will be my choice. I can wait a couple weeks as I need to sell a bike first before shelling out the cash. Hoping Vassago has some good component options for complete builds to get it how I want it from the start.

mtbr member
    What about the Ibis tranny?

I used to have one and ran it SS with a belt. I think it weighed 19.5 lbs.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    I'm surprised the new Surly Karate Monkey hasn't been brought up. It fits pretty much perfect with what you describe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Carver 420 is missing from your list. 69* HTA with a 470 a/c 100mm fork, 415-435mm stays, frame sizes in .5" ETT increments. It would be on my short list if I needed to replace my Lynskey.

Titanium 420 - Carver Bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ibis Tranny 29

Category Winner
    I've always got my eye out for bikes of this variety.

Keep in mind, you mentioned doing some endurance races on this bike. Some of those options being thrown out there only have one cage inside the front triangle. Be prepared to wear a pack (ewwwww) or be thirsty.

I don't see any mention of the Trek Stache. Before I decided that I wasn't going to settle on accepting something less than exactly what I wanted, it was on the short list with the Pivot LES.

That Salsa Timberjack is pretty hot... but very unavailable right now.

If I could justify the money, I'd just get something so close to what I already have that it's nuts to do it. My desire was an internally routed dropper, short 16"+ stays, two cages, @69* HTA with a 120mm fork, 12.75" or higher) BB, longer than normal head tube... something I just can't find.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Niner ROS9? Love mine, way faster on it than I was on my SIR (sold).

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Niner ROS9? Love mine, way faster on it than I was on my SIR (sold).
    Two things:

A lot of people are forgetting that the OP doesn't want something heavy. The ROS is a pretty hefty frame.

Both the ROS and the SIR are currently no longer in the Niner product line. I've heard they're merging the two genres into a future frame that might fit the bill.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Two things:

A lot of people are forgetting that the OP doesn't want something heavy. The ROS is a pretty hefty frame.

Both the ROS and the SIR are currently no longer in the Niner product line. I've heard they're merging the two genres into a future frame that might fit the bill.
    Missed the desire for lightweight in the OP. As for availability, they probably still have some floating around out there... I snagged mine for $350 as Pricepoint went out of business (obviously not an option now).

And I will say, it is definitely NOT a light frame, or bike, but it rides far better than anything I have ever been on. The comfort would be mighty beneficial in an endurance capacity.

Category Winner
    I borrowed a ROS 9 for awhile when my back was too messed up for my single speeds, and I was testing a longer travel dropper for Thomson that wouldn't fit my frames.

Coming off two other short stay bikes (steel Stickle and ti Vertigo), I found the rear end to be a bit unforgiving. I blamed the fact that it was probably less compliant tubing (which would explain the almost 7lb weight), and also this bend in the seat stays which to me are all wrong in terms of adding comfort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modern xc geo hardtail for singlespeed-ros9_frame_blue_2400x800.jpg  

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Dicky, how does your Vertigo match up to your 420? Obviously you can buy 2.5 Carvers for the cost of a Vertigo, but I'm curious what you did different with the Vertigo compared to the 420.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    Dicky, how does your Vertigo match up to your 420? Obviously you can buy 2.5 Carvers for the cost of a Vertigo, but I'm curious what you did different with the Vertigo compared to the 420.
    Here's the drawing:

Steeper head tube

Slightly lower BB

Slightly longer ETT

Taller head tube

Second bottle mount inside frame

No plate to get tire clearance

I can also get sub-420mm chain stay length (of course, gearing determine that)
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    I'm thinking of upgrading my 8 year old Kona SS.

Highball seems like a great frame but you have to run a tensioner. Chamelion (new) looks great if you don't mind aluminum. Giant has a carbon frame and decent spec for the money, but not sure if B+ is the best wheel for SS?

Pivot would be my dream bike - carbon frame, great geometry, SS dropouts, 29er hoops, short stays. Seems to check all the boxes - but yes Expen$ive!!!
    SC Highball requires no tensioner with the SS dropout kit. Does require added cost.

mtbr member
    I borrowed a ROS 9 for awhile when my back was too messed up for my single speeds, and I was testing a longer travel dropper for Thomson that wouldn't fit my frames.

Coming off two other short stay bikes (steel Stickle and ti Vertigo), I found the rear end to be a bit unforgiving. I blamed the fact that it was probably less compliant tubing (which would explain the almost 7lb weight), and also this bend in the seat stays which to me are all wrong in terms of adding comfort.
    I agree about the ROS. It's a lot stiffer and less compliant than other bikes I've ridden, but I think that's partially due to how this bike is intended to be ridden. It's not really meant to be ridden like a typical XC bike.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by evoracer View Post
    SC Highball requires no tensioner with the SS dropout kit. Does require added cost.
    The OP mentioned the aluminum one, which is SS compatible, but said it was a little heavy and steep.

The lighter carbon Highball doesn't have the SS'abke sliders tho.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I agree about the ROS. It's a lot stiffer and less compliant than other bikes I've ridden, but I think that's partially due to how this bike is intended to be ridden. It's not really meant to be ridden like a typical XC bike.
    My Stickel is built by the OG of aggressive short stay 29ers. I run a 120mm fork on it in Pisgah. It is noticeably a more comfortable ride given the same terrain. 5.something pound frame.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Interesting. Personally, I find the ROS super comfy, compared to the Ti Lynskey Pro29 I Lefty I had prior, as well as the rigid SIR9, although the rigid part makes that kinds obvious. But, YMMV!

Also, Dicky, missed the posts on your blog about a new Carver. That 420 looks like... practically the Ti version of the ROS, or at least pretty close in angles and whatnot. Looks like a rad bike! I want to try a Ti SS at some point, that one certainly looks promising. I'll tune in for more thoughts on it as you post 'em. Be careful though, my ROS caused me to sell my other MTB's, as I wasn't giving up anything on it!

Category Winner
    I'll tune in for more thoughts on it as you post 'em. Be careful though, my ROS caused me to sell my other MTB's, as I wasn't giving up anything on it!
    I sold it a long time ago. Riding my Stickel and the Carver was the inspiration for finally ponying up for custom ti again.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I sold it a long time ago. Riding my Stickel and the Carver was the inspiration for finally ponying up for custom ti again.

Your blerg doesn't show the year next to the month/day at the top... saw March 27th, thought it was recent. Either way, that thing is gorgeous. My ROS is purple/green, so if I am ever able to pony up for some blingy wheels, I want purple or green to match. I9 lime would look damn good...

Category Winner
    Your blerg doesn't show the year next to the month/day at the top... saw March 27th, thought it was recent. Either way, that thing is gorgeous. My ROS is purple/green, so if I am ever able to pony up for some blingy wheels, I want purple or green to match. I9 lime would look damn good...

Yeah, the year only shows up in the address bar.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM