Misfit diSSent AL - New frame for me? (former/current Vassago owners, pls chime in)- Mtbr.com
    Apr 2007

Misfit diSSent AL - New frame for me? (former/current Vassago owners, pls chime in)

Hey mother trickers. Got frame ADD again. Looking for a 29er frame and found the diSSent by Misfit to be quite intriguing (the AL, not ALC--don't want to spend the extra dough). Love the flat black color, fat aluminum tubing and a TT my sack doesn't feel too intimidated by. This will be taking the place of my current Monocog, which will be reincarnated to strict urban duties with possibly BA's or CX tires.

I was on the verge of placing the order today, but one thing held me back---the CS length. I had a Jabberwocky that I grew to hate. Main issue was the rear wheel slippage during climbs. My normal hump-the-stem-cap climbing position didn't work---too much wheel slippage. Had to shift that weight back to gain some traction. Told myself it was ok for a while, but couldn't handle it anymore. So some other hiney-over-saddle masher is enjoying that frame now. I noticed that both the Jabber and dissent had almost identical CS lengths.

Those that have owned/ridden a Jabberwocky/Bandersnatch and a diSSent, what's been your experience? My current El Mariachi and Monocog are on the money on climbs. I'd hate to buy this frame, only to have the same issues again. I'm thinking it *should* be ok, as the ETT is shorter on the dissent, which would naturally place my weight back a little. Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

**EDIT: Also, please refrain from posting up any MTBR 90210 drama from those crap-on-misfit threads. I really don't care. Xie Xie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There is more to a bike than just chainstay length. Get the Misfit. It climbs like a goat in heat.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

Apr 2007
    Yeah, people told me the same thing before I bought the Jabber. "Climbes like a Wet Cat." "Best climbing bike ever!" "Almost pedals itself up the hills."

Didn't work for me.

mtbr member
    I ride a Jabber and I love it, but I'm not sure that it climbs better than another bike with different geometry- If the rear end starts to slip, I get my weight back a little- just the same as I would with any other bike... Either way, I absolutely love the bike, but don't have much else to compare it to. I was riding a Rig before that, but only for a month or so- I like the fit and feel of the Jabber better, but some of that is the steel, and some of that is that I have it spec'd a lot nicer than the Rig- plus, no slippy/ creaky EBB...

mtbr member
    diSSent blows the monocog out of the water, buy it, ride it, love it!
    Misfit DiSSent

mtbr member
    I can't tell you why, but my dissent climbs wonderfully, much better than the Monocog and GF rig it replaced.

Its $300, worth every penny...

Apr 2007
    Thanks guys, but I have already dropped the Misfit from the list. I really want a <17" chain stay bike on the next round.

But I'm having a blast on both of my current bikes and am a bit hesitant to change. Rode the El Mar last Sat and Monocog today. Love them both.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I will share my experience. I have had 3 different 29ers that each had there own pros and cons. I was given a 26'' frame as a present and found that nothing climbs as well as a smaller wheeled bike. I know the 29er guys are going to give me crap but before you do. I do have a black licorice A9C in the works, so I am not anti 29. I just feel IMHO a 26" bike climbs far superior.

Apr 2007
    I knew it would eventually turn into another 29er nut kicking session. I'm not anti-anything, as I've got both. There are pros and cons of each. That's not what this thread's about though.

Best of luck with the A9C. Always liked those.

Members who have read this thread: 0