Is Minneapolis really the SS capital?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Is Minneapolis really the SS capital?

I heard from a fellow SS (ok, I ride one but it ain't my main rig) that Minneapolis is a HUGE SS community. I know Surly (I mean *cough* QBP)is located here and there are some killer bike shops that are great at supporting the SS community (One on One Bikes) but is it really the "hometown" or is there a bigger community in another state?

Witty McWitterson
    The minneapplepus crowd is most certainly one of the larger and passionate in the land, thats for sure. I've been there for a long time meself. Since about 96 or so actually. I'd say that there may be a larger dedicated crowd overall in SanFran/Bay area. Both towns have quite large cycling populations, that's for sure. On a per capita basis though, I think Mpls has a 'denser' SS user base. But what do I know, I've never been to the Bay area... One thing is for sure, Mpls has helped spur on the developement and acceptance of the SS. Not that we wouldn't have them if Mpls didn't help, but I don't think that there'd be as many of us as there are.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by col200
    I heard from a fellow SS (ok, I ride one but it ain't my main rig) that Minneapolis is a HUGE SS community. I know Surly (I mean *cough* QBP)is located here and there are some killer bike shops that are great at supporting the SS community (One on One Bikes) but is it really the "hometown" or is there a bigger community in another state?
    Surprisingly, for how many SSers are supposed to be in Minneapolis, I've seen only a handfull out on the trails. Then again, I'm not a part of the Mafia and I've never attended any of Kenwood's or One on One's regular rides/derbies. It's probably because I'm out in the 'burbs and the soccer moms/dads aren't down with Bicycle - Punk Rock - Action.

mtbr member
    Events like the "Homie Fall Fest" had a good turn out of about 50 or so SSers so I know there are quite a few within the city. I have yet to see a SS at any of the metro area trails. I did see a couple at Theo once. But spots like Leb. hills or Hillside, I haven't seen one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Well I can say in the last 3 years I've yet to ride at Lebenon Hill on anything but my Single Speed. I have to admit I road the shifter at the TT they held in the spring.

In my group we've had a max of 5 guys on SS's at our Weekday jam night at LH, but usually have 3 at a time.

There really should be a head count at the Weekday BuckHill races in the summer, I'd say there are at least 20 SS's each night.

Personally I never ride the shifter-bike on weekdays

Shane
    (2 Singles and counting)

Witty McWitterson
    Granted, I don't get there that often, and now I never do, but I rode my SS at leb all the time. And Theo. And RB. And BC.

The turn out at Homies has actually gone down a bit. Back in 99 or so when the rally 'series' happened, there were at least 60 showing up at each of the 5 or so events.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    I'm not doubting there are plenty of SS out there. How does a SS feel at Leb. hills? I've taken my down to Theo a few times and it was great, but Leb. hills has alot more ups and downs. Anyway, it's cool to see other SS out there giving it a go

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Singling at Leb is a non issue. You'd think the weeknights at Buck would be worse, but doing Afton 24 hrs on it was a little tiring.

Shane
    32/17