Midge bar set up question - 29'er x-post- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

New question here. Midge bar set up question - 29'er x-post

Based upon the rave reviews and the wrist pain I get using standard drop bars on my CX bike, I picked up a Midge bar recently, but I'm a little lost as to where to mount the brake levers. Any advice? Photos of your setup would be appreciated!

Not because I'm fast.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Based upon the rave reviews and the wrist pain I get using standard drop bars on my CX bike, I picked up a Midge bar recently, but I'm a little lost as to where to mount the brake levers. Any advice? Photos of your setup would be appreciated!
    I set mine up with the brake levers mounted pretty high so that I could ride the hoods comfortably. I have XXL hand though, so even with the levers set up high, I can still reach them easily when riding in the drops.

After putting some miles on with the Midge I have observed the following: Because of the angled position of the brake levers, riding on the hoods for long distances is not nearly as comfortable as a regular drop bar. Riding on the hoods with the Midge does not open me up quite enough and it feels very narrow on the hoods and flats. So, if you like to ride the hoods, the Midge might not be ideal. If you have it set up as a SS, the new Cane Creek Ergo-style brake levers due to their size are more comfortable then the standard Shimano tiagra or ultegra brake levers though, so consider the Cane Creek levers if you have large hands and ride SS.

Riding in the drops is as comfortable as everyone says, but I still don't have my bar high enough to ride in the drops the entire time. Since I am 6'5' and pushing the size limits of my 62cm Cross Check, I cannot use a higher rise stem without compromising too much space in the cockpit. On a custom frame or a bike set up properly with a high rise stem, the Midge would be King. But I'm big, fat, and I rely on the hoods for longer distance riding... so for me, the Midge is just OK. Hope this info helps.

Here is a picture of my bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2farfwd; 09-13-2005 at 09:32 AM.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Having never played with drop bars before, I had to play around a bit with the position of the brake levers before I settled on something that felt comfortable for me. Even so, it's a compromise as, a) my DiaCompe 287V levers are just a tad far reaching for my hands, and b) my need to tip the bar a little more downwards (to be comfortable in the drops) leaves the top section when I rest my hands on the hoods slope downwards, too. I'm happy with where everything is right now, but if I had my way, the bars would be designed just a tad differently and the 287V levers would be closer to the bar.

Too many words, pictures work better...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    my DiaCompe 287V levers are just a tad far reaching for my hands,
    I solved this issue by going with the Cane Creek SCR-5C levers the compact version of Cane Creeks regular brake lever (which is just a Tektro or Dia-Compe lever anyway).
    Of course this will not work well with V's, which you are running.
    Fixed up my reach issues right away though on my canti-equiped bike. Wish they made shifters with the same shape/feel.
    Last edited by Mackie; 09-13-2005 at 11:42 AM.

surlysoul

My opinions on Midge bar set up

First of all they should be set up higher than normal drops so you are comfortable riding on the flared drop section.
    If they are set up in this way you won't need the hoods as much as on a road drop. angle the ends towards your dropout,
    I run the brake levers quite a bit lower than on a road drop making it easier to reach the lever from that flat spot in the drop postion.
    I ride the flared drop the hooks the flat top and the rearward corners on the top which is more comfortable on these nongrooved round bars.
    With some trial and error and help from others this works bes for me I don't have any pictures right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm in the same boat right now... I recently bought a XCheck and spec'd the Salsa Bell Lap bars but my wrists are killing me when I'm riding off road. The upside of the Salsa bar is the hood position when you're on the road or mild fire roads, but when the trail gets technical the ergo section on the drops is just uncomfortable. I have a pair of Midge's on order and should have them by Friday; I'm interested to hear if anyone is running the Midge with the Cane Creek SCR5 levers mentioned in the posts above. Pic's to follow...

l-dub

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Must...

resist...

making...

wise-ass...

comment...!

The simple answer is to mount the levers and ride the bike a few times before wrapping the bars. Find out what works best for you.

I run my levers VERY low on the bar. The Midge has less drop so I can set the levers higher which makes the hoods more comfortable to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

King Pin

Smile Stems

I'm using two of the Midge's and two Mary's.

Mary can run standard stems. Midge needs a high rise. I have two extry Salsa forty five degree stems for those that need 'em. Just like new....one is 130mm, udder is 135mm.

PM if'n you need one of these pleez. Perfect aluminium black Midge stems, IMO.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Must...

resist...

making...

wise-ass...

comment...!

The simple answer is to mount the levers and ride the bike a few times before wrapping the bars. Find out what works best for you.
    No way I'd expect a smart ass comment from Shiggy! As for mount and test ride, obviously, but I guess my question was more whether there was a good starting point. I fooled with them last night for about an hour and a half - mount one way, ride a loop around the neighborhood, remount and re-ride, etc...and I think I got them just right. Very different (and better) feeling than standard drop bars - the position the drops is nearly perfect. I've always been uncomfortable with the reach on my 58cm Cross Check, and with the shorter reach and smaller drop on the Midge, my "fit" problems disappeared. Can't wait to try them out on dirt!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What would you choose to put on a cyclocross, the Midge or the Mungo? I'm torn. Anyone tried the Mungo before?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Midge

I just swapped my Salsa Bell Laps for Midges this week on my Surly XC and I love them. BUT... when I shoulder the bike I have a tough time reaching the drop on the Midges from under the downtube; combination of shallow drop and higher rise stem. For real 'cross racing with longer or steep run ups you'd have to pay attemation to that fact. Outside of that, the Midges are great and I'm stoked.

I you'd like to try a barely used Bell Laps for dirt cheap, 44cm, shoot me a PM.

I'll post before and after Midge installation pic's later on tonight so check back in.

l-dub