Middleburn vs. ENO cranks...- Mtbr.com
    When did you get here?!?!

Middleburn vs. ENO cranks...

I'm gathering parts for a SS specific project and would like some input on cranks. Two things are certain, I'm going with square taper and chainringboltless. How are the ENO cranks holding up? I like the look of the Middleburns, anyone running those SS? If so, what are your thoughts? Also, the two interfaces (with the chainring) look similar. Does anyone know if the two manufacturers rings/cranks are compatible?
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

large member
    I love my ENO's! I'm a clyde that does major damage to most cranks and I have given these cranks the best abuse I can dish out. They have held up perfectly and are extremely stiff. Never used the mid's and not sure about compatibility of the chain rings so I can't help you there. Just thought I'd give my ENO review fwiw.

Category Winner
    Get the Middleburns Guinea Pig. You need them.
    Then I need to see them first hand.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Get the Middleburns Guinea Pig. You need them.
    Then I need to see them first hand.
    I will be running Middleburns on my project. I already have them and they are very well made. I will also be running the UNO chainring and have the spider to run them geared as well. I used them on my geared bike for an adventure race and they worked very well. I think my decision to go with Middleburn was that they were little cheaper that the White crank and had the lifetime warranty.
    Ventana El Rey - 3x9
    Schwinn High Plains w/ drop bars - 3x8
    Surly Ogre - Alfine 8/SS

mtbr member
    I have been running Eno cranks for over a year on my Karate Monkey (so plenty of crank impact on rocks thanks to the low BB). They have held up great.

Personally, I dislike the look of the Middleburns.

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Middleburns are A-OK

You're welcome to check mine out. Maybe this weekend say, as we're riding the seasonal stuff in Pisgah?

I'm very happy with the setup after 4 months. I gave up on the outboard bearing stuff after 3 sets of bearings and two pair of warrantied crankarms.

They are light, stiff, pretty, the rings are really nice, smooth pedaling, good durability so far.

The only downside it that I've already dinged em up, but whatcha gonna do?

Hey Dickey, now that you're the world champeen you should have free sponsor supplied crap coming outta your ears, right?
    Dirtbag since '89

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig

Hey Dickey, now that you're the world champeen you should have free sponsor supplied crap coming outta your ears, right?
    pfffftttttttttt....

I think that would require effort and stuff. I'll keep paying for my crap just like the rest of you lowly pack fodder types.
    Someone did offer me some free T-shirts.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    I'm using Middleburn Uno on my SS and Duo on my boing-boing. Love the looks and they're doing their job perfectly well. According to Middleburn they will be adding a 42T Uno chainring to their catalogue this autumn. I'm looking forward to that and will build a new rear wheel with a 21T freewheel. Then I can easily switch between 42:21 and 42:16 depending on my choice of route for the day.

Kelly deluxe - SSWC06 #25

And He was Not
    I'm using the Middleburns and I like them. I ordered them with the 4 and 5 arm spiders. With the 5 arm, I get to use the nice and inexpensive Surly 30 tooth steel ring on my 29. Gives me a little different ratio. I like things that are flexible. I've got a couple of spiderless Boone set ups on XTR cranks, I hate the idea if I bend a ring I'm pigeon holed into dealing with one supplier. That would also be the negative to using the ENO's unless you could come up with a spider that would work on them. Spiderless rings look cool, but it would be bad news if you had to replace one quick.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    I hate the idea if I bend a ring I'm pigeon holed into dealing with one supplier. That would also be the negative to using the ENO's unless you could come up with a spider that would work on them. Spiderless rings look cool, but it would be bad news if you had to replace one quick.
    You can order ENO chainrings direct from WI or through at least one very responsive and reliable web retailer that I know of.

Spiders don't look cool, require more parts and thus more points of potential failure, weigh more, add an additional cost in addition to the chainring itself. . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Something to consider- you need a special tool to remove the lockring to replace the chainring. Not cool to discover this after the chain ring has a decent crack across it. The tool is a Hozan hook spanner and I could only find it through Harris Cyclery although QBP supposedly carried them up until last year. On another note, the chain took 3 seasons of bashing before it cracked- not a bad track record.
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

Peace & Love
    have run both in the last year on single speeds....no obvious winner since both are great, period.

* looks are different, so that is subjective....I like both

* Middleburn has WAY more options if you ever plan to do anything but a single ring. ENO you are stuck with one (or 2 options I suppose with their funky 2 ring fixed size chainring). eg, want a bashguard as well? ENO not an option then.

cant lose either way....price pretty similar too so that is not a factor (not in the US anyway)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    Something to consider- you need a special tool to remove the lockring to replace the chainring. Not cool to discover this after the chain ring has a decent crack across it. The tool is a Hozan hook spanner and I could only find it through Harris Cyclery although QBP supposedly carried them up until last year. On another note, the chain took 3 seasons of bashing before it cracked- not a bad track record.
    The Hozan lockring spanner is like a pair of jewel-encrusted tweezers. A basic bottom bracket cup tool will do the job splendidly. Park HCW-5, $15 at the LBS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ralfonso
    The Hozan lockring spanner is like a pair of jewel-encrusted tweezers.
    I'm riding a small, tiny hoss, his name is Mighty Little, he's a good hoss, even though he's a bit dinky to strap a big saddle or blanket on, anyway...
    Kelly deluxe - SSWC06 #25

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanU
    I'm riding a small, tiny hoss, his name is Mighty Little, he's a good hoss, even though he's a bit dinky to strap a big saddle or blanket on, anyway...
    So, the norwegian mtb-site is down and this is where all the Dental Floss tycoons (yes you are) hang out now ...

Martin

(Pardon my OT)

Dear Edit,
    looks like we're back in business again....
    Last edited by MartinFrank; 10-12-2006 at 02:19 AM.

I like wheelies

Both are cool, but...

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle

* looks are different, so that is subjective....I like both

* Middleburn has WAY more options if you ever plan to do anything but a single ring. ENO you are stuck with one (or 2 options I suppose with their funky 2 ring fixed size chainring). eg, want a bashguard as well? ENO not an option then.
    I'm pondering this choice myself. I love the look of the ENO (using an ENO hub to SS a Bontrager), but the ability to use odd-numbered rings on the Middleburns is likely to sway me in that direction. I like running the 33T ring at times.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Running both right now. Building up a bling-bling SS with Mid's and a Boone ring. The only difference, IMO, is the finish. The Mid's look more brushed while the WI are polished. The polished get scratches/blemishes easier.

Take a look at the Paul Components SS crankset, too!

Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member

fight

I think we should fight to the death weilding either crankset.

Me with an ENO...I'd win because I can deflect most blunt blows and bullets with my thick WIsconsin skin.

ENO is simple, pretty, and shiny.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    That is so HOT!

Man i should have gotten those, instead of the Turbines i snagged off ebay! Damn upgrade later those would look killer on the Mariachi!

Members who have read this thread: 0