mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Middleburn UNO or Shimano XTR FC-M970?

I am trying to decide between the Middleburn Uno and Shimano XTR FC-M970 cranksets for single-speed use. I am 6"4" tall and weigh over 200 pounds and do like to mash up the hills. For both cranksets, I am looking at the 180mm version - which means the RS7 arms for the Middleburn (as opposed to RS8 arms). For bottom brackets, I am leaning to the lightweight American Classic ISIS bottom bracket if I choose the Middleburns. The Shimano XTR FC-M970 crankset will need to be converted to single-speed use, and for this I would probably choose a Blackspire ring. I calculate a slightly lower weight for the XTR setup but could be wrong. The Middleburn Uno would look more integrated as it was designed from the outset for single-speed use. Is the external bottom bracket of the Shimano simply a better design than the ISIS bottom bracket? Is one design stiffer than the other? More reliable? Which would you choose?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Middleburn

At 6'4" and 240lbs I run a 180 Middleburn Uno set up and have had no problems what so ever I would highly recommend these to anyone who is hard on thier bikes.
    I also had a problem with breaking chains so I took to runnin a half link chain and have had no problems since.
    Marty W
    " width="549">
    Last edited by Marty W; 12-17-2007 at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Square taper or ISIS?

Marty,

Do you run square taper or ISIS? What make bottom bracket?

Curmudgeon

Middleburn + Square Taper (if possible)

I am running Middleburn 180s with a square taper bottom bracket. I'm still running the square taper spindle that came with my 91 Yo Eddy, and the press-in sealed bearings. But, in your case, I would recommend the Phil Wood Stainless (not Ti) bottom bracket. They aren't that expensive and nearly bulletproof.

I'm only about 5'10, but weighing in at 200 and a serious masher, (sloppy swaying bike masher), the middleburns are the stiffest, most direct lightweight cranks I've ever used.

-j

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Isis

Quote Originally Posted by Cornell77
    Marty,

Do you run square taper or ISIS? What make bottom bracket?
    I'm running a ISIS FSA Mega Quad. It has two bearings on each side and is bullet proof.

mtbr member
    I'm 200 lbs. 6'1" and have both the Middleburn UNO RS7 175mm Phil Wood SS square taper bottom bracket and the Shimano Saint 175mm external bottom bracket on my bikes. Either route will work, go off aesthetics!
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

Harrumph
    1+ vote for a Phil Wood over anything ISIS. They are a bit pricy, but the difference between Phil and an ISIS that will last more than a season isn't that much. And the Phil WILL outlast your frame, make that frames....a few of them.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have both XT and XTR cranks on my bikes. The outboard bearings work very well and the cranks are light. I have ridden the Blackspire rings but prefer the lighter e.Thirteen guide rings. I am only 150# so YMMV.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    One more thing: I just yesterday weighed a new set of XTR cranks, the BB, and a e.Thirteen guide ring.

XTR FC-M970 (both arms, integrated spindle and spider) = 524g
    XTR BB (with the three spacers and fixing bolt) = 102g
    e.Thirteen guide ring 32T = 29g
    alloy chainring bolts = 4g

mtbr member
    I've got the Middleburn Uno, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the XTR either.

I like to support companies that support single speed so that affects my decisions.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

I speak for the trees

Negative on the XTR

I used to use XTR cranks on all of my bikes but had problems with them lasting as the splined mating with the bottom bracket would wear over time. Now I use old-school, square-taper bottom brackets and have no issues at all. I use the White Industries cranks, which I've been very happy with. It was a tossup between them and the Middleburns, with the White Industries winning out because they were available in 180 when I needed them and the Middleburns weren't.

mtbr member
    Middleburns all the way...

I have them on both of my 29 race bikes...they like this gadget here...

"Just set it, and forget it..."

Members who have read this thread: 0