middleburn rs8- Mtbr.com

Thread: middleburn rs8

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

middleburn rs8

anyone out there running the middleburn rs8 cranks?

i am thinking of getting these for a ss i am building just now many reviews..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Do it.

mtbr member
    Good stuff, worth the price.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Just make sure you do justice and get a proper BB. May I suggest Phil Wood SS, White Industries. This rigid 29er has the black RS7s which are slightly heavier than the RS8's. The RS8s are the same look but more relieved on the inside, lighter and thus has a lessor warranty. http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...postcount=1058
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    does anyone know if the ck bb work with middleburn cranks?

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfoxy76
    does anyone know if the ck bb work with middleburn cranks?

No.

Middleburn doesn't offer an external BB crank.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the RS8 with CrankBro ISIS BB. Very pleased. Will probably get the same think on my next bike.

mtbr member

Square Taper vs. External Bottom Bracket argument

@mrfoxy76: If you want to run an external BB like Chris King, try the same link I posted above, it's the red bike with the Shimano Saints, in fact, I have a gold CK BB going on another bike with the Shimano Saints. The CK BB is designed for Shimano external-type cranksets. This includes Shimano XTR, XT, SLX, also Dura-Ace; also compatible with Race Face. I would advise strongly against the ISIS and if you do a search, you'll find a number of complaints against the system, the square taper is proven and has many followers. It is quite an argument to go external when you really want to go Chris King BB (Hope, Phil Wood also makes an external BB for Shimano but how can you compare to CK at the same price point?).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks for the info ISIS is already ruled out based on what i have read.

i really like those middleburn cranks was thinking of using them with a phil wood ti bb, however i was trying to incorporate the ck bb as going to use ck hubs, headset (pink) for my build.

i am converting my lynskey m230 into a single speed and moving all the components to a new build.

Yo.
    thanks for the info ISIS is already ruled out based on what i have read.

i really like those middleburn cranks was thinking of using them with a phil wood ti bb, however i was trying to incorporate the ck bb as going to use ck hubs, headset (pink) for my build.

i am converting my lynskey m230 into a single speed and moving all the components to a new build.
    Give Phil a call and see if he will anodize the BB mounting rings pink for you. Or you can find an anodizer and send 'em just about anything you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead. ;)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Middleburn are working on an external-bearing chainset at the moment. It'll use Shimano-type BBs, so King will be an option. However, as with their new road chainset and rear hub, it's been 'on the way' for at least 18 months, so don't hold your breath...

For the record, I love Middleburn stuff and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Nation
    Middleburn are working on an external-bearing chainset at the moment. It'll use Shimano-type BBs, so King will be an option. However, as with their new road chainset and rear hub, it's been 'on the way' for at least 18 months, so don't hold your breath...

For the record, I love Middleburn stuff and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Sweet. I always wondered when they would give X-Type a go.

Guess I'm still wondering though.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    my wife loves her RS8's......

but real men run ENO's......

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No, real men ride RS7s

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    RS8 are out of stock going to call middleburn tomorrow to see when they will have "more" available before i decide what to do!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    RS8 are out of stock going to call middleburn tomorrow to see when they will have "more" available before i decide what to do!

give these cats a call:
    http://www.mtbtandems.com/Middleburn.html

it's where I found my wife's second set when everyone else on the planet was out.....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member

Middleburn RS7 and RS8 Uno comparison photos revealed!

I also bought mine at MTBtandems. I swear this topic of "Middleburn RS7 / RS8" has been beaten to death on MTBR, many threads before have inquired about the RS7's and RS8's - search MTBR function. However, I haven't seen a side by side photo of the RS7's and RS8's until just now. Just for you mrfoxy76, from the metrotuned archives:

I picked up the RS7 Uno new from mtbtandems probably at the peak of their prices. Recently, someone on MTBR posted prices have fallen dramatically and would def. swoop a set up if you are in the market. I probably paid close to $4XX with the Phil Wood BB and caps - I saw the RS7 Uno SS kit from mtbtandems for around $160 shipped a couple months ago which is ridiculous low.

At the same time I acquired the RS7s, I won a used set of RS8 Uno from uno_speedo on ebay - I believe they came off his titanium Jones spaceframe bike. Even with both hand in hand, I couldn't tell a difference between the two without a scale - I was told the RS8s are more relieved on the inside of the arms:

I ended up selling the silver RS8's and kept the new black RS7's. The RS7's are mated to a Phil Wood BB in a Phil Wood EBB'd SS 29er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks everyone for being so helpful! however one more question!

going to use the phil woods ti bb i assume i need the bb and the cartridge cups? this would complete the crankset?

ps i just buy the **** my lbs installs it all for me!

Yo.
    going to use the phil woods ti bb i assume i need the bb and the cartridge cups? this would complete the crankset?
    Yes.

The bearing cartridge/spindle assembly is listed separately from the mounting rings (what everyone else calls the cups, a holdover from when most bicycle bearings were of the cup-and-cone type). This makes it easy to move the same BB into a new frame, as you only need to purchase new mounting rings. Sounds a bit silly, until you hear from all the PW BB owners who talk about how they're on their third of fourth frame and still have the same BB, untouched, from back in the day.

You should make sure that you have crank bolts. Usually, they come with crankarms, but not sure with Middleburns. Also, PW mounting rings use a spline pattern that predates those of any other manufacturer, so you should make sure that you or your shop has the appropriate tool to install them.

Good hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead. ;)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Middleburn do some nice self-extracting crank bolts.

mtbr member
    Previously mentioned in MTBR: RS7 vs RS8: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=507093

Those crank bolts are made by FSA in black and can be had for $10 or Middleburn has them anodized in pretty colors blue/red/silver etc for 2-3 times more.

Members who have read this thread: 0