Middleburn or Eno??- Mtbr.com
    rav42u

Middleburn or Eno??

lookin for new single chainring cranks. Users of each please post with your pro and con views ie weight, durability, and eye appeal.
    ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns,why should we let them have ideas.-Stalin

mtbr member

all...

Quote Originally Posted by rav42u
    lookin for new single chainring cranks. Users of each please post with your pro and con views ie weight, durability, and eye appeal.

ENO
    all of the above

Welcome to the Gem...
    i'm with Ernesto. i did my research a while back, and i decided on the ENO.

in fact. i just put my order in a few days ago from... Ernesto. he's good people, and he's having a sale right now on the exact cranks you're looking for!!

click the link in his sig... single-speed.net for the win.
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I like ENO too, but I won't be buying a set until they change their ring design. I find it ugly and unappealing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I like ENO too, but I won't be buying a set until they change their ring design. I find it ugly and unappealing.
    Call them up. They could probably machine some daiseys or tulips in the chainrings to make them prettier for you.

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    What they said.

P.A.G.A.N.
    I'm going to differ and say Middleburns. They're damn cool looking and super strong. I've got a pair that has been beat on for a long time and they still going strong.

Category Winner
    I'm down with the Middleburn lovers.

I've seen enough photos of folded ENO rings to make me shy away. I realize any ring can fold, but the 1/8" MB rings are BEEFY. I've banged mine into a heap ton of sh!t with nary a hint of unhappiness.

I got the Hard Cote version. Here's the marketing hub-bub on Hard Cote:

"Hardcote Chainrings are layered with a technically advanced ceramic coating, the Hardcoat layer is 5x thicker than modern coloured anodising and its constant refinement over many years of top level use now ensures it is more resistant and effective than ever before.
    The unique formula serves two crucial purposes, firstly with a friction coefficient 10x less than hard anodising it reduces chainsuck and improves shifting performance. Secondly Hardcote provides up to 4x wear resistance than conventional hard anodising, increasing the life of your drive-train."

I've been running mine for almost one year exactly now. Lotsa miles, and it is showing enough wear that I'll probably replace it later this winter or early in the spring.

They are easy enough to get in the states here:
    https://www.mtbtandems.com/Middleburn.html

MB's give you the option of square taper or ISIS.
    Which one looks better? That's personal, but I think the MB's look better.
    I do think the ENO can be rotated to more evenly distribute the wear and tear of uneven torque on the ring. That is not an option with the MB, but I never found it necessary.

Baby pictures:

That beefy ring:

And after a year of use:
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

is buachail foighneach me
    rich are you sure they can't be rotated? is there something i'm not seeing here?

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    rich are you sure they can't be rotated? is there something i'm not seeing here?

That relief that is cut out at the bottom of the hole (in the pic) is for the crankarm. It won't fit any other way.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Middleburn. I have 2 sets and and have been very happy with them. Like Teamdicky said, the 1/8" rings are beefy. The arms are stiff, I like the looks and they have a lifetime warranty. You also have the option of adding a spider if you ever want to do something different or use them on a geared bike.

I have always heard good things about dealing with Mountain Bike Tandems, but I know there are a few more U.S. dealers now. I got mine from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

is buachail foighneach me
    that would do it...

Exclusively Single
    MB ring on an ENO crank?

I love my ENO's but the only downside is that you are a bit limited with rings. WI only makes ENO rings in a few sizes. With the middleburns you can get one of their spiders and run any standard rings, and you won't have to remove the crank to change them.

That said, the ENOS's are strong, light and beautiful. What else ya want?

mtbr member
    So, not to derail this shoot out, but what are peoples thoughts on the upcomming Surly Mr. Whirly? I have a few months until my build, and the ENO, MB, and Surly are all on my review list. Anyone have any reports from Innerbike? According to the Surly blog they're going to be beefy, and very scalable.

mtbr member
    I haven't had any problems with the ENO. Aesthetically the nicest looking crankset IMO. They polish up so nicely. Have another ENO coming for a new SS build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    any one has a picture of a red MIddleburn Uno singlespeed chainrings?

mtbr member
    I found one fractured tooth on my ENO ring when I swapped it out to a Boone 34t.

No more ring worries, and looks hellagood too. Not that I ever had any worries.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

Recovering Weight Weenie
    My wife and I have both.
    She's has a set of Eno's for almost 3 seasons. Flawless and pretty bomber.
    We've both had a set Middleburns for about a year and a half. Also flawless and bomber.

Can't go wrong with either IMO.

rav42u

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ENO
    all of the above
    one last question. what do i stand to gain by going to a 180 vs a 175 crank. I know I will gain some torque but how does it affect pedal cadence, seat height ect ect. Also want to thank everyone for all the input. For what it's worth, leaning toward the Enos as they both seem to be equal in all areas except price. Once again, Thanks All
    ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns,why should we let them have ideas.-Stalin

Welcome to the Gem...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=crank+length

good info there. i'm 6-4... and i went with the 175mm cranks. i do a lot of spinning on the commute to work, so it should be good.

if you're always on the mountains, the 180 might be worth a try.
    Ibis Tranny 29

rav42u
    Silver 180mm w/32t ring on da way

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    one last question. what do i stand to gain by going to a 180 vs a 175 crank. I know I will gain some torque but how does it affect pedal cadence, seat height ect ect. Also want to thank everyone for all the input. For what it's worth, leaning toward the Enos as they both seem to be equal in all areas except price. Once again, Thanks All
    The extra leverage of 180 is nice. You can't spin as high of a cadence, but you can make up for it by running a little more gear. Since your foot has to go down a little further with a longer crank, your seat will have to be a little lower.

~~~~~~~

i've got the MBs and it came down to three things 1) i like they way the look- more fluid, less retro than Eno 2) chain ring options 3) what i'd heard about durability.

i'm not a big guy (5'10" 160lbs) but i have 180 on one of my bikes and it gives you a little bit more control when you're going really slow. this can really help on tight swtichbacks and steep technical stuff. however, where i ride (norcal) there aren't a lot of rocks or roots like other places, so clearance is rarely an issue. also, i do spin out on the road or on flat stuff pretty quickly with the longer cranks.

That's gonna leave a mark
    I had ENO's for awhile. The crankarms are rock solid, but the chainring didn't last very long. I went on a search and found the Middleburn's. The "hardcoat" ring is lasting much longer. 'Course the Boone ring has lasted the longest...

Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    meh!.....i was gonna root for the eno rings.....but i went and bent mine today on a log ride/fall....had to use a pedro's tyre lever in a creative way to bend it back so it wouldn't file my chainstay off when i pedaled......dangit!

my fiance' has got the MB's....actually pretty awesome....and no problems......but she doesn't fall off logs

side note - does anyone else have a problem with their eno setups.....i'm flexing my 180's into my chainstay climbing steep stuff and the teeth on my rings "deform" pretty quickly....and i'm no hulk of a dude either (lil' skinny bald guy)....it's actually kinda frustrating
    Click Here for Forum Rules

time to climb
    Sorry to hear about your ring/fall. The aluminum ring begins to deform almost immediately. I originally ran 1/8" chain for a few months, then went to 3/32" and had to cycle the crank about 20-30 times to allow the skinny chain to shave it's way through the broadended teeth. Sounds like the MB hardcote is the way to go, at least for the next 6 months waiting for a Boone. I'll try ebay. Just checked: only a 34T Boone now - I need a 32. No MB SS compatible.

Paulie

That's gonna leave a mark
    You're flexing the ENO crank into your chainstay? I'm having difficulty imagining how that's possible. Those crankarms are pretty burly, but more importantly, the heavy load on your pedals is applied on the downstroke as it passes your downtube.

Sounds like you're getting frame flex, not crankarm flex. Unless you have hamstrings like an Olympic sprinter and are pulling on the upstroke like nobody's business. How close is your crankarm to the chainstay at rest?
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    side note - does anyone else have a problem with their eno setups.....i'm flexing my 180's into my chainstay climbing steep stuff and the teeth on my rings "deform" pretty quickly....and i'm no hulk of a dude either (lil' skinny bald guy)....it's actually kinda frustrating
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    You're flexing the ENO crank into your chainstay? I'm having difficulty imagining how that's possible. Those crankarms are pretty burly, but more importantly, the heavy load on your pedals is applied on the downstroke as it passes your downtube.

Sounds like you're getting frame flex, not crankarm flex. Unless you have hamstrings like an Olympic sprinter and are pulling on the upstroke like nobody's business. How close is your crankarm to the chainstay at rest?
    frame is a large surly 1X1.....crankarms are in tight.....around 2-3mm from chainstay......and i'm sure it's hitting the frame (could be the frame or the crank...i'm assuming the cranks)...on steepy climbs i hear/feel the ting....ting...ting....and the frame is rubbed raw......i can send in pics of frame and crank wear later if ya like.

nope...no hamstrings like an olympic athlete....but i did pull the soles mostly off of my sidi doms fixie riding....

mtbr member
    I have 175mm ENO's on my 1x1 and with the wide chainstays and a fairly narrow BB selection, I have very little clearance. Maybe 2 mm. I have never had the crank arm touch the frame. At most the side of my shoe rubs the chainstay a little. Crazy that the ENO crankarms would bend, I would think it would be the frame flexing if anything.

~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    frame is a large surly 1X1.....crankarms are in tight.....around 2-3mm from chainstay......and i'm sure it's hitting the frame (could be the frame or the crank...i'm assuming the cranks)...on steepy climbs i hear/feel the ting....ting...ting....and the frame is rubbed raw......i can send in pics of frame and crank wear later if ya like.

nope...no hamstrings like an olympic athlete....but i did pull the soles mostly off of my sidi doms fixie riding....
    will you promise to quit making those trips up the peninsula to Balco? We don't need any more dopers in this sport. Especially if I might find myself racing against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    will you promise to quit making those trips up the peninsula to Balco? We don't need any more dopers in this sport. Especially if I might find myself racing against them.
    if i'm racin' you, rensho...and a whole mess of other uber fast cats....i need all the help i can get

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i would vote for the middleburns..i am using their hardcoat rings and they are fantastic..i have "dinged" them while offroading many times w/o a bashguard and they have nvr failed me when the stock lx rings would chip. durability is also good.

no experience with their arms but their warranty wins it for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0