MIA question- Mtbr.com

Thread: MIA question

I like endos

MIA question

Hey guys, was thinking about building an MIA as a 29er, but my question is this. I'm 6'1" with a 33in. inseam and so normally I'd get the MIA Large size if I was running 26" wheels. But I'm going to add 1.5+in. of height with the wheels, so for only a .5in. reduction in top tube length I think I"m gonna get the Med. and just go with a setback post and a longish stem. I like compact frames anyway and I don't like tall toptubes. Is my logic logical, or am I missing something? Does the MIA only come in silver or red? thanks and I'd like to see pics from people who've done this conversion.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    Hey guys, was thinking about building an MIA as a 29er, but my question is this. I'm 6'1" with a 33in. inseam and so normally I'd get the MIA Large size if I was running 26" wheels. But I'm going to add 1.5+in. of height with the wheels, so for only a .5in. reduction in top tube length I think I"m gonna get the Med. and just go with a setback post and a longish stem. I like compact frames anyway and I don't like tall toptubes. Is my logic logical, or am I missing something? Does the MIA only come in silver or red? thanks and I'd like to see pics from people who've done this conversion.
    I think you're high.
    But, if you really like endos...go for it.
    My buddy just got the large, he's also 6'1, and the TT is crazy short. In fact, it's the same size as my wife's medium 1x1. She got on his Mia with it's 110mm stem, and found out the reach to be the same. She's 5'7!
    I would say, even the L mia is too small for you...ESPECIALLY for the singlespeed application where generous TT's are the norm for much climbing in the upright/standing position.

TR
    Angry bunny
    That TT length is the only thing that keeps me away from the Mia.
    I am 6'3" and know that the TT on the large Mia is way shorter than on my 20" Surly 1x1 or my gearie Superlight.

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Padre's right...TT too short on the L let alone the M unless you really like sort TTs. Plus the 13.5" BB w/ big wheels would probably be a deal killer for most.

TR - you know you can squeeze big wheels into the 1x1. There was a discussion about this some time ago on the 29er board. Need the disc version though...

LP

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    TR - you know you can squeeze big wheels into the 1x1. There was a discussion about this some time ago on the 29er board. Need the disc version though...

LP
    Yep I know.
    I started the latest discussion.

Recovering couch patato
    If a toptube is that short...good excuse for a drop bar/moustache setup?

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam, and I've got a large with 120mm stem and Marys. The setup works for me, although I occasionally 'tap' my knees on the back of the stem when standing. Not enough of a problem to make it feel too small.

If you like short TTs, I think the large will work for you.

Jim

I like endos

I just e-mailed

Tony from IRO. He's the same size as me and has done this conversion. SAid he really likes it, so, with that and Seamus comment, I'm going for it. Plus I did some measuring yesterday and found out that my current ride only has a 22.5 in. toptube anyway, so it'll probably feel about the same. I'm going with the 20" on Tony's suggestion. It'll take me a bit to save the money for the frame though, so don't expect pics too soon. I'm gonna get the finished build done for less than $1000! Sweet deal for a steel 29er. So now, the only thing I have to decide is- what color? Ahh, decisions, decisions.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Steamroller

Colors.....thoughts

Tony from IRO. He's the same size as me and has done this conversion. SAid he really likes it, so, with that and Seamus comment, I'm going for it. Plus I did some measuring yesterday and found out that my current ride only has a 22.5 in. toptube anyway, so it'll probably feel about the same. I'm going with the 20" on Tony's suggestion. It'll take me a bit to save the money for the frame though, so don't expect pics too soon. I'm gonna get the finished build done for less than $1000! Sweet deal for a steel 29er. So now, the only thing I have to decide is- what color? Ahh, decisions, decisions.
    The silver looks real nice on a couple of Mias I've built. Of course you can never go too wrong with black. I'm 6'2" and have a large red Mia( it's a great red). Mine rides fine rigid with a long stem though if I had a squishy fork and a shorter stem I might pitch over the front easily. I put my 29r wheels on just to see and they fit easily, even with big tires. If you are comfortable with the short toptube and high BB it should make a nice and very reasonably priced 29r
    Two Wheeled and Too Big