Merino wool jerseys, etc.?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Merino wool jerseys, etc.?

Any of you folks wear merino wool cycling clothing? I just picked up an Icebreaker base layer at a thrift store and have fallen in love with the material. What I want to know is, how many of you guys wear Merino, and what/when do you wear it; i.e. summer and winter, brands, etc.
    Thanks.... Sage
    Last edited by Sage of the Sage; 12-02-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: typo... aw dang.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I rock merino socks all year...mmmmmm Smartwool....

I've also got a couple merino tops I wear. a 150 weight Stoic shirt layer that I'll wear from 60 degrees on down into freezing as a base layer , and another 260 weight Icebreaker half zip shirt that I use on top of the first when its in the 40-50 range.

Overall, I like the wool cause it doesn't seem to smell too much if I wear it repeatedly it does a good enough job, and I like how good quality wool feels against my skin compared to most synthetics.

I'm a month away from graduating and getting a big boy job and once I decide which of my job offers to take I'd like to get myself a couple more wool base layers.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

Really I am that slow
    how i rate the stuff 1st Icebreaker, #2 Ibex, 3rd smartwool, i love the stuff
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ibex wool shorts are awesome. I fart in them all day and they don't stink! The brown stains always wash right out too!

I have four wool jerseys. Two EWR's and two Portland Cyclewear. One long sleeve and one short sleeve of each. The EWRs are pretty sweet and very breathable for a summer jersey. Which isn't as nice for a cold weather one. The Portland Cyclewear ones are warmer. My long sleeve Portland Cyclewear jersey shrunk a little bit when I washed it for the first time after wearing it a year. Very sad. I'm going to have to soak it and stretch it out. Portland Cyclewear is also a great value. The savings on buying two is worth it. And the flock lettering is awesome. Just go in with a buddy. My ******** cycling/drinking club has ordered almost fifty from them.

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm a big fan of Ibex, too. I have a jacket and base layer that I live in when it's cold. Bonus points for wool- lots of wear time between washes!
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I also have started wearing my wool socks year-round. Love them. I have 3 short sleeve Ibex and one long sleeve. They all work great. I have some other no-name stuff I got from Rivendel and I use them under my other shirts when its really cold (for CA - so upper 30s). My favorite shirt is from REI and I don't think it had a brand, but it's warm.

Wool stuff costs more money than you might want to spend, but the value is totally there. They are worth it.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Icebreaker is really nice. I lost my favorite Icebreaker midweight top in France this September. I'm still in mourning. That **** was expensive.
    - Simon

miwuksurfer
    Wool is so much more comfortable than any synthetic top I've ever worn. Its funny how the outdoor garment industry is coming full circle back around to wool. Love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I love merino wool products!!! I wear wool socks, jerseys and hats. I like icebreaker and smartwool the best. You can find icebreaker on closeout if you know where to look. I was at costco the other day and they have merino baselayers, tops and bottoms for under $30!!! I am guessing they are not as nice as the brands mentioned above but for $30!!! Screaming deal!!! I just scored some icebreaker base layers on closeout so i have not tried the costco stuff yet... Emphasis on yet

mtbr member
    I have been wearing Ibex and Icebreaker stuff for quite a while. I have a nice collection of stuff in 150, 200 and 260 weight. I can wear it in all type of weather - the 150 is even comfortable for warm weather and layering the other pieces can get me by in freezing temps. The stuff is expensive, but worth it. Ibex has a "Outlet" section that has some nice deals on some of their items.

mtbr member
    merino wool is worth the cost.

The perfessor
    just finished ordering a Sugoi merino wool jersey on sale for $38...........look forward to getting it before Christmas........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_chrome View Post
    just finished ordering a Sugoi merino wool jersey on sale for $38...........look forward to getting it before Christmas........
    Nice deal!

The perfessor
    I got it at Nashbar............
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Merino wool sleeveless jersey where? that would be cool..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Nice deal!
    No doubt. I ordered one. It was cold today.

I also really like my Swobo merino wool base layer.

nocturnal oblivion
    Merino is the schiznit.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    I agree... my Icebreaker top is 150 wt. and it cost me 2.00... best thrift store deal I have ever scored! I now plan on gradually replacing all of my warming layers with merino.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

scrappy
    Apr 2006
    +1 for wool, especially Icebreaker and Smartwool. As others that bickpack can attest - you can live in the stuff for a week without it getting too smelly. Wool just seems to handle big shifts in temperature better than other fabrics, this is nice when you can't carry much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I use Devold and Endura, base layer t-shirts and 3/4 pants. Best money spent on clothes ever.

Self-defeatist
    Rivendell's wool shirts are awesome, two weights, reasonably priced, no BS. I just got a pair of their wool not-so-tights. Bring on the snow.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Another big Wool fan here! I have Smartwool on my feet almost every day, working, riding, running, skiing, snowshoeing, whatever, they rock! As for clothes, Icebreaker & Ibex mostly. My Ibex knickers are probably my favorite piece of clothing ever! They can be expensive, but I am always on the lookout for sales. Sierratradingpost.com is a good place to start.

Mark

mtbr member
    +1242452 for merino wool! I started with a (Smartwool) long sleeve base layer a few winters ago. I now have a wardrobe full of merino wool cycling gear. I highly recommend it. Aside from the brands already mentioned I like Stoic and Minus33.com. Steepandcheap has been having lots of wool stuff on closeout recently. I just snagged Stoic Merino 150 Bliss Shirts for $13.80 each!

holding back the darkness
    Wool is king.
    I have a variety of wool jerseys from Swobo, Sugoi, Endura and they are all awesome. My original Swobo is 10+ years old and still going strong.

I wear mine up to about 80F in the summer. Wool has a relatively wide range of comfort. Short sleeve wool jersey, thermal arm warmers, and a light shell can get me by from about 35 degrees all the way to 80ish.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I prefer cotton.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by pindowngirl25 View Post
    Merino wool sleeveless jersey where? that would be cool..
    Goodwill for me.
    At $6 a pop, I can afford to cut off sleeves.

I did go crazy & paid $20 at Costco for the Calvin Klein's they have now, made me feel like I was a king spending that much all a t once.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    merino wool is great, but i stopped buying thin layers/socks because it's not very durable. I wear through them too fast when i hike or bike.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by DanConway View Post
    merino wool is great, but i stopped buying thin layers/socks because it's not very durable. I wear through them too fast when i hike or bike.
    I've had great durability from the smartwool socks. I picked up 5 pairs at $6 a pop some three years ago, and wear them daily.
    These are the fairly thin ones, I recently got a few more online of what turned out to be a much heavier weight but they're just too warm for summer.

nocturnal oblivion
    Kucharik is a fairly inexpensive option for wool, I'm not sure it's merino though. It's less soft than the nice stuff, but if you don't get wool itch it's fine.
    Just be sure to order a size up, their jerseys run small.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Wool is my preference for life. In addition to whoring myself to wool for cycling, I try to track down wool jackets, sweaters, cardigans and then go bake brownies with my mom.

It did get expensive, so I bought a sheep and I wear it around.

breathing helium
    I scored a sweet green merino v-neck sweater vest at Goodwill that I use on really cold days. It was like $5 or so and really helps to retain the the core warmth.

I have Untouched World, Icebreaker, Rapha, and Swobo; ranked best to worst. The Untouched World is insanely nice. I thought Icebreaker was the best until I bought some U.W. It is amazing. The sleeveless base layer is the shiznit!

Men's cycling clothing - Untouched World

Fat & Single
    I Have a few tops from Ground Effect - mountain bike clothing , New Zealanders know their sheep too

Even as a layer when hill-walking, awesome gear !
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

The perfessor
    Ok, just got my jersey from Nashbar - a Sugoi merino wool jersey..........damn, its NICE, almost don't want to wear it riding its so nice...........$37+tax+shipping..............
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    I really like the Ibex Jereseys, but don't fool yourself, they do end up getting stinky, just not as fast as synthetic stuff. My only gripe would be with the El Fito Knickers, they always seem to sag and the seam around chamois doesn't hold up well. I have sent back several pair due to the seam and Ibex has always honored the warranty. With that said, the El Fito is very comfy and usually me first choice in the fall and spring. I would also like to try the El Fito bib, I wonder if this would solve the sagging issue.

I also wear the Ibex softshell clothing for BC skiing.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The only wool I have ever worn is smart wool snowboarding socks and hiking socks. I have an old pearl izumi cycling jersey that I haven't worn more than a few times.

What are the benefits for wearing wool?

Former Bike Wrench
    I have multiple Merino Wool cycling wear
    -Fox Jersey
    -Oregon Cycling Wear jersey
    -Multiple pairs of Defeet wool socks in thin and thick varieties
    -Defeet wool arm warmers
    -Defeet wool gloves
    -IBEX wool arm warmers (thicker than the Defeet arm warmers)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    What are the benefits for wearing wool?
    The biggest is warmth even when wet. Unlike cotton, it will not make you cold when it gets wet by sweat or the elements.

mtbr member
    i <3 Merino, beanie, jerseys, shorts, and socks.