Sofa King We Todd Did

Mental hurdle with drop bars

I recently got an On-One Midge bar. And it's been sitting on my shelf for about a week and a half now. Why? Because I had bought it for a project that I've abandoned for the time being. One that involved a 700c fixed setup. You see, in my demented head, drop bars + big wheels = A-OK. By the same token, feeble brain also thinks drop bars + 26" wheels = kinda kooky looking and not in a good way. Why? I have no idea.

Now I've got a beautiful lugged steel singlespeed MTB ride that I use almost solely for road riding. Right now it sports moustache bars, and while I'm dying to try out these Midge bars, I can't bring myself to put them on them on this bike. Why? See above. This is a completely pointless mental hurdle I have and I need help!

Now I know that folks like shiggy have used such bars for donkey's years. But shiggy's... well, shiggy. And I know that others have followed suit on 26"-wheeled bikes. But my head still can't wrap itself around the idea. Maybe it's because a moustache bar is more visually engaging and subconsciously I want the bike to stand out that much more? Maybe I'll become more comfortable with the idea if I see more 26"-wheeled bikes with either WTBs or Midge bars? Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I'm a loony, aren't I.

King Pin

Wink Loony??

Yep!

I just swapped one Midge over to the 1X1 today, didn't like 'em on the Chameleon with it's 5" squishy fork. They work GREAT on a rigid front end though, have 'em on the Sofa King too!

Aesthetically (to me...) they look best on a bike with big ol' tires, like the 2.5" XC DH's on the Surly....makes that bike look just plain bad*ss, IMO. And they function wonderfully!

To each his own, though....nobody will twist your arm to try 'em. I love them Midge's!!

(OT...I think my dealer buddy has a new 16" black 1X1 hanging in the shop...I'll check with him tomorrow if you're interested?? I can ship it cheap from my employer...PM me!)

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I recently got an On-One Midge bar. And it's been sitting on my shelf for about a week and a half now. Why? Because I had bought it for a project that I've abandoned for the time being. One that involved a 700c fixed setup. You see, in my demented head, drop bars + big wheels = A-OK. By the same token, feeble brain also thinks drop bars + 26" wheels = kinda kooky looking and not in a good way. Why? I have no idea.

Now I've got a beautiful lugged steel singlespeed MTB ride that I use almost solely for road riding. Right now it sports moustache bars, and while I'm dying to try out these Midge bars, I can't bring myself to put them on them on this bike. Why? See above. This is a completely pointless mental hurdle I have and I need help!

Now I know that folks like shiggy have used such bars for donkey's years. But shiggy's... well, shiggy. And I know that others have followed suit on 26"-wheeled bikes. But my head still can't wrap itself around the idea. Maybe it's because a moustache bar is more visually engaging and subconsciously I want the bike to stand out that much more? Maybe I'll become more comfortable with the idea if I see more 26"-wheeled bikes with either WTBs or Midge bars? Maybe, maybe, maybe.

I'm a loony, aren't I.
    Last edited by xrmattaz; 05-12-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    And YOU'RE the guy to talk to about this, too! If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have Midge bars to play with!

"Aesthetically (to me...) they look best on a bike with big ol' tires, like the 2.5" XC DH's on the Surly....makes that bike look just plain bad*ss, IMO."

Is it funny that you should mention that. The bike in question is a tasty steel bike, with a plump steel rigid fork up front and meaty 2.3 tires squeezed in the front and the back. Big angry chainring upfront, too.

I need to do it. I need to get over it. I just can't bear to take off those moustache bars at the mo. They're on there so perfectly right now...

King Pin

... and if we just ... Big, angry?

The "big angry" chainring is the one I have on the Sofa King! That 38 tooth green ENO looks suweeeeet! It's a much DARKER green than the other two I have.

If you hadn't listened to me, you'd have MY WTB "dirtdrop" bar that you wouldn't like half as much as the Midge! Go bolt that sucka up...now.....I'll wait.

You want me to aks my dealer about the 16" Surly??

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    And YOU'RE the guy to talk to about this, too! If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have Midge bars to play with!

"Aesthetically (to me...) they look best on a bike with big ol' tires, like the 2.5" XC DH's on the Surly....makes that bike look just plain bad*ss, IMO."

Is it funny that you should mention that. The bike in question is a tasty steel bike, with a plump steel rigid fork up front and meaty 2.3 tires squeezed in the front and the back. Big angry chainring upfront, too.

I need to do it. I need to get over it. I just can't bear to take off those moustache bars at the mo. They're on there so perfectly right now...

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I'm gonna send you a PM about that Surly, mate!