Mellowcat- Spot/WI crank help/question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Mellowcat- Spot/WI crank help/question

Hey there mellowcat I have a quick question for you, I have a Spot frame and I ordered WI cranks for it. I also ordered a Phil Wood Bottom Bracket. I called White and they told me the spindle length needed to be 113mm (I didn't measure and the shop didn't measure- won't make that mistake ever again). Although the crank arm wasn't rubbing at the onset, a little flex would certainly hit the chainstays (both drive and non-drive side) We called Phil Wood and they are hooking me up with a 119mm splindle (excellent customer service). What spindle length did you need for your Spot/WI combo? Everyone was surprised the 113 didn't work and I just hope there is no alignment issue with my frame...
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

eno crank user here...

hey there...

i am not a spot rider, but i do run white ind. eno cranks on my kelly 29 ss.

i originally tried to use a xtr/boone on my kelly. even with a 116mm bb, i couldn't get the ring to clear...it was JUST touching the chainstays. the arms would clear the stays by only 2-3mm.

after searching for a wider xtr compatible bb, i decided to go back to square taper (it's hip!!!)...there are a plethora (today's vocabulary word of the day) of bb widths available. so, i went eno.

i did some searching in the boards for people using the eno cranks and found people were using some pretty wide bb widths. i got a good deal on a race face steel taperlock in 120mm spindle from cambria so used that. i have no problems wih flex and have plenty of clearance from the stays.

just wanted to chime in with my bb width for my eno cranks.

cheers!

mtbr member

Hey Mo...

I tried a few sizes before settling on a 118 spindle. I think the chain alignment is fine, but alittle more outward wouldn't hurt any as my alignment is not "spot" on. Your 119 is probably perfect. The 113 wasn't even close on mine either, it must be the way the crank arms are made cause 110 - 113 worked fine with my old cranks.

Hope that helps!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    Hey there mellowcat I have a quick question for you, I have a Spot frame and I ordered WI cranks for it. I also ordered a Phil Wood Bottom Bracket. I called White and they told me the spindle length needed to be 113mm (I didn't measure and the shop didn't measure- won't make that mistake ever again). Although the crank arm wasn't rubbing at the onset, a little flex would certainly hit the chainstays (both drive and non-drive side) We called Phil Wood and they are hooking me up with a 119mm splindle (excellent customer service). What spindle length did you need for your Spot/WI combo? Everyone was surprised the 113 didn't work and I just hope there is no alignment issue with my frame...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    The 113 wasn't even close on mine either, it must be the way the crank arms are made cause 110 - 113 worked fine with my old cranks.

MC
    yep...it is the crankset...they white eno cranks have a very low q factor. i think that is the reason why we gotta use bb width about 118-120mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hey Kam and Mellowcat- Thanks!

I appreciate the information! I learned the hardway- measure before you order... or always order from a company that will help you out because you frigged up!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...